Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Flopped the nut flush draw - how best to play it?

Old
Flopped the nut flush draw - how best to play it? - Mon Sep 30, 2013, 04:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
2NL. UTG is a 16/11 player PFR of 14 from EP. His aggression factor is 12. This is over about 100 hands. I think he was probably fairly stong to be betting pre, flop and turn. Obv didnt like the river though.

UTG+2 is 87/7 over just 15 hands. His range isnt far off being any two cards. Aggression factor of 0.5.

With the loose passive in the hand I feel like I am ok to call and see what the flop brings, and it brings a nut flush draw.

With the loose passive in the hand I think I am getting good odds throughout the hand to call.

Could I have taken a more aggressive line at any point?

Or was calling down looking to hit ok?

The fact that I was so deep with the other bigstack was playing on my mind a bit. I didnt want to get it in with just a draw.

Have to say, I shouldnt really have played today at all, not been with it for most of the day at all

Last edited by bhoylegend; Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 04:21 PM..

Old
Tue Oct 01, 2013, 04:11 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Looks good to me, I think that I play it the same way. You're not going to be at fault too often for taking a more aggressive line at any point in the hand (even pre-flop), however, I'd rather be check-raising this flop or turn against players that I'm confident that I'd at least have some fold equity. Against unknowns playing micro stakes, I'm going to probably check-call as you did because I'd assume that one (if not both) villains are incapable of folding pairs. You may lose some value when/if you hit your flush but using the same logic I would be surprised if a lot of players lay down semi-strong hands. As played, with the price you're getting, it's a pretty easy call on the river (could bluff JT, think that they're value shoving Ax, could miss a worse FD or just be spazzing etc).

edit: Looks like UTG could be a reg, which you probably would have some good fold equity against if you chose to check-raise at any point...however, with the whale in the pot you're less likely to get folds (but again, getting it in is never really "bad" imo).

Old
Tue Oct 01, 2013, 05:54 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
Well played.
Arguments could be made about check/raising flop obviously, but I don't believe that any pair folds there.

Old
Wed Oct 02, 2013, 05:38 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty012 View Post
Looks good to me, I think that I play it the same way. You're not going to be at fault too often for taking a more aggressive line at any point in the hand (even pre-flop), however, I'd rather be check-raising this flop or turn against players that I'm confident that I'd at least have some fold equity. Against unknowns playing micro stakes, I'm going to probably check-call as you did because I'd assume that one (if not both) villains are incapable of folding pairs. You may lose some value when/if you hit your flush but using the same logic I would be surprised if a lot of players lay down semi-strong hands. As played, with the price you're getting, it's a pretty easy call on the river (could bluff JT, think that they're value shoving Ax, could miss a worse FD or just be spazzing etc).

edit: Looks like UTG could be a reg, which you probably would have some good fold equity against if you chose to check-raise at any point...however, with the whale in the pot you're less likely to get folds (but again, getting it in is never really "bad" imo).
Thanks Tyler for the analysis.

I don't think check/raise would have got UTG out of the way, or at least I wasn't certain it would, so didn't want to get into a weird situation where I ended up all-in on the flop with a flush draw. Obviously I had outs but I wasn't certain that my overcard A was one of them. Calling off the short stack seemed standard enough and I was happy to do so. Would have been awkward if UTG got cute and made a check raise over the All-in and my call.

I tend to give him credit for a strong pair and a difficult fold given what he had in the pot.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com