Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NLHE 100K: AKo Outflopped Surreptitiously

Old
Unhappy
NLHE 100K: AKo Outflopped Surreptitiously - Wed Oct 02, 2013, 02:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010

At this stage of the tournament, people were much in line. There was not crazy things happening. We got rid of the crazies in earlier stages. I want to know if I could have played it differently.

Old
Wed Oct 02, 2013, 03:37 PM
(#2)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi JesusFan_123!

With AK from the cutoff (or any other hand I'm going to play), I'm going to make a standard opening raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper at this blind level.

I flop TPTK, but there is a flush draw and also a possible straight draw. When it checks to me, I'm going to make a 1/2 pot value bet, which is the standard for one opponent in the pot. Postflop bets need to be made based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. I don't want to bet less than 1/2 pot, as I could possibly be giving the opp the correct odds to outdraw me if they're behind (which they most likely will be on this flop).

The turn pairs the board and the opp checks again. Once again, I'm going to make a standard value bet of 1/2 pot. Also, once again, I don't want to bet less than this, as while there are hands that I'm behind, I'm most likely ahead and do not want to price in an opp that is drawing. If I give them the right odds and they do outdraw me, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

The river should be a blank (unless they have 36, 68 or 55 which while possible, is unlikely). Now the opp makes a very fishy bet. It's less than 1/3 of the pot, BUT it's 2/3 of their stack. IMO, this just screams to me that they slowplayed a monster and are making a thin-value bet. To call, I need to be right that they would be bluffing 1 out of 5 here.
To determine this would take a read on the player (not given). If the player has not been caught bluffing nor been making plays that are out of line, I'm going to give them credit for a 7 and muck to this bet. If the opp is loose or known to bluff on the river, then I'll call and hope that they don't have a 7, 44 or 55.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 02, 2013, 04:40 PM
(#3)
Thanks for the detailed analysis. I don't think it would make much a difference when he flopped 2 pairs. He is going nowhere at this stage. I did not notice the size of his bet relative to his stack. But I had too much money in the pot then.

Last edited by JesusFan_123; Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 04:51 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com