Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl called 42BB shove pre with AK

Old
2nl called 42BB shove pre with AK - Wed Oct 02, 2013, 05:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010

This was the 4th hand I played at the table.
1st hand he limped in MP and called a 15BB raise preflop. Then called on the flop the remaining of his stack (12BB) with a backdoor straight - he had JT.
2nd hand he limped and folded to a flop bet.
3rd hand shoved preflop 38BB over a limper and took it down.
4th hand he shoved 41BB in MP1. I had AKo on the BTN and decided to call if folded to me. The SB was short so stack wise he didn't pose any risk, only decreasing my equity in the hand if he called also. The BB was also 100BB stack but tight player, had some hands in HUD from previous games.
I shoved, not just called, to make it harder for the BB to get involved. The SB as I mentioned was short stacked.
My question: is this call to loose, for 41BB ?

Old
Wed Oct 02, 2013, 07:26 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
Don't quote me on this, but AK is fine to shove ~100bb deep against all but the tightest nit. Against unknown, I think JJ+, AK might be good calling range, this is tight but some players like to shove AK. This guy sounds like a maniac so I would consider doing it with AJ+,99+.

Tags will steam down sometimes by shoving KK or AA pre =)

Ps. I'm just writing this to see if I'm right or wrong after the answer.

Last edited by braveslice; Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 05:34 AM..

Old
Wed Oct 02, 2013, 09:56 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi 6att,

Yeah, looks fine to me tbh. The only hands we really don't want to see here are KK and AA but it seems crystal clear from the detailed observations you've made so far his range is insanely wider than this. We're slightly behind the pocket pairs but will more than make up for that from the parts of his range we're a favorite over, including all the hands we dominate.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 03, 2013, 12:45 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Ok thanks
Frankly I keep loosing big pots lately and stacking off with AA, KK in 3B or 4B pots when I play aggressive post flop. So I was starting to think that I might be calling too light this crazy shoves pre.

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 02:17 AM
(#5)
Since: May 2013
BronzeStar
i called 50BB-allin preflop with pocket 99, is that good play or profitable?

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 05:23 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayLooser View Post
i called 50BB-allin preflop with pocket 99, is that good play or profitable?
It depends.

Who were you up against? A maniac? A LAG? A LaP A TAG? A nit?

Against a maniac I can see myself making the call. Against anyone else I can see myself folding and finding better spots. Even LAG players won't shove random stuff too lightly without good reason.

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 09:37 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
It depends.

Who were you up against? A maniac? A LAG? A LaP A TAG? A nit?

Against a maniac I can see myself making the call. Against anyone else I can see myself folding and finding better spots. Even LAG players won't shove random stuff too lightly without good reason.
Great answer!

Also action sequence, positions, game situation, etc.

The question itself is the problem. If it is a serious question, it indicates you are thinking somewhat level 1, only considering your own immediate hand strength. "It depends" is truly the correct answer to the question as stated. Or more succinctly, it is somewhere between a solid +EV play and a huge spew. Start to take all the available information to construct a range for the villain, and then evaluate your relative hand strength in that spot. If the villain is a short stacking maniac who's on raging tilt and has shoved the last 7 hands in a row, 99 is a monster. If he's a nit who is cold 4-betting all in, 99 is garbage.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 02:37 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
im talking about 2NL zoom tables, where u have no reads, they show up for 50bb-allin even if noone raised before them.... i m almost always calling them down with KQ, AQ, AK, and 99++ and i know now that it is probably a bad play cuz most of the time they show AA, KK...

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 02:40 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
just curious, how to play against shortstacks there is SOOO MANY shortstacks in zoom tables, like in every hand u have at least 1 player with 40bb-50bb ... they open-raise-allin for 40bb-50bb so can i call with something or never if they open-raise for allin?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com