Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

All Open League Players!

Old
Default
All Open League Players! - Fri Oct 04, 2013, 07:56 AM
(#1)
Gravitons's Avatar
Since: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
If your planing to do well in the Open League this month and also gain just over +20VPP's? Don't whatever you do... finish in the top 500.
Because, you will be "BANISHED"... sorry "SPECIALLY INVITED" to the Premier League, where you can play with the creme dela creme of pokerschool for a WHOPPING GREAT prize pool, one quarter the size of the Open League?

Fantastic! Now thats what I call a reward?

Ok, this has probably already been mentioned numerous times on this forum and honestly, I don't really care... this is not a rant or moan (haha) It's pocket-money (Free Cash) Right! I don't even know if it is as easy to score plus points in the PL as it definitely is in the OL? It is just my opinion!! maybe some of you can enlighten me? (Guess we will see how it goes?)

However, it does highlight the ineffective, uncooperative, stubborn, idiotic (running out of adjectives?), behaviour of the so called Support Team, who seem totally incapable of answering a straight-forward question, without resorting to mantra or passing the buck to another TEAM philosophy...

Sorry this is becoming a lengthly post bare with me... here is the conversation?

Email 1 (with edits)

"Congratulations here is your ticket to the Premier league" Your having a laugh right?
This is the scenario ... I played in the OL for the first time last month!! Sat there folding everything, watching and avoiding the "Donks" play rubbish and actually did quite well, finishing in the top 500 and earning $1...
During the month I manage to accumulate 20 VPP's, through some very careful hard graft. So, there I am thinking if I do the same next month, I might even earn myself a $5 reward??
BUT... NO!!!
You Promote or "Invite" me to take part in the PL....
Why on Earth would I want to play in a PL for a prize pool of $3000, instead of the OL with a prize pool of $11800??????? If this is an "Invitation" then I respectfully decline and ask you to remove the PL Ticket from my Account Immediately..... I will take my chances in the OL thank you very much?

Reply One, (Always a different person unless they just change the name?)

Please note that once you have qualified to participate in the PSL it is not possible to opt out in favour of participating in the OSL. This restriction is in place because the Premier Skill League has been designed to have exactly 1,500 players participating. If players were allowed to opt out of participation this would mean that the League would fall below the 1,500 required participants.
As it is not possible to opt out of participation it is also not possible for us to cancel the ticket. The ticket is already set to expire at the end of the month.
Players that qualified to play in the PL may continue to play in OL tourneys but their results will not appear in the OL leaderboard.
The PL has a total of $30,000 in prizes each month awarded to the top 500 players and is capped at 1,500 participants (1 in 3 receives a prize!). This offers a much greater chance to receive a prize compared to the OL, which has a total of $11,800 in prizes each month awarded to the top 2,000 players without any cap on the number of participants.
Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Email Two,

But, honestly that is completely and utterly PATHETIC!!!
WHY!, run a league system with tiered levels of competition, where it should be a privilege to play in the Premier selection and use it to PENALIZE!! small time players who do well and get only 20VPP,s.?
You are denying them the chance to play in the open league with +20 against their name and a prize pool of $11800.. (the $30000 you mentioned...1:3...etc etc... is for +150VPP players??)
(Like I said, I will take my chances in the OL thank you very much!!!)
LOOK! I wasn't asking you politely to remove the ticket - I was TELLING you to remove the ticket and give it to some other SMUCK!!!
In fact I will make it easy for you... Take back the $1, I got last month and forget I even played in the League. Actually, I will even pay you $2 to do it? JUST DO IT!!!

Reply Two, (My request was forwarded to another TEAM...delay...then back to usual Mantra!

As previously advised unfortunately it is not possible to opt out in favour of participating in the OSL. You are welcome to play in the OL however your results will not appear in the OL leaderboard. We are sorry for any inconvenience that this might cause.

Email Three,

You are now beginning to irritate me! Your whole Support Team seems incapable of any reason or logic...?

How can I put this in the simplest way possible for you to understand... this is not rocket science!

In the Premier League with my +20VPP's, I am playing for a prize pool of $3000 - (not $30,000 as you mentioned previously!) That means if I manage to make the top 500 then I win $2 (admittedly there is a cap on players, but forget that for now)

Now, In the Open League with my +20VPP's, I am playing for a prize pool of $11,800 - That means if I manage to make the top 2000 then I win $2.50... (Of course next month I won't make 20VPP's, so this is a one off opportunity?) and this seems like the easier option for me to get a prize?

So, PLEASE explain why I should bother with the Premier League?? The League is only really for anyone determined enough to earn 150VPP's in a month?
OK, so here are some suggestions/solutions, which could resolve this issue! (and I really put some thought into this, so PLEASE DO NOT fob me off with another hopeless excuse about not opting-out?
1. "Blah..Blah"
2. "Blah..Blah"
3. Or... Carry my +20 status over to next month and I promise not to play a single game in the premier league this month - finish bottom - get relegated - So I can at least try the open League next month with +20 against my name (Which was my original plan in the first place, before this unwanted "INVITE" into the Premier League happened?)
I actually like option 3, because it gets us both out of a tight spot! You can stick by your manta on no-opt out policy! 1500 people participate in the League (sort of)..etc...etc! (Of course if you see me play a League game then the deal is off?)
And next month (November) all goes back to normal and I get my +20 status to use in the OL! - PERFECT!! WIN-WIN!! and we both get our hands untied?

And... No reply!!! So Far?

(haha) Nearly finished?

Conclusion,
Why is +20 offered a PL place and if so why not -20 as long as they finish top 500 in OL? (Answers 20 max characters please?) !!
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 08:18 AM
(#2)
TweedleBeetl's Avatar
Since: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,146
you say you are playing for a prizepool of 3000 in PL instead of 11800.

do you mean $30000 ?

Last edited by TweedleBeetl; Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 08:25 AM..
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 08:25 AM
(#3)
royalraise85's Avatar
Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 26,022
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleBeetl View Post
for my part, I am absolutely of the opinion that the premier league is much better value, and I aim to get there and stay there.
***Moved To Skill League section***

I agree TweedleBeetl,

I'd much rather play in the Premier League than in the Open League.

Raiser


Moderator

Bracelet Winner



Last edited by royalraise85; Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 08:37 AM..
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 08:28 AM
(#4)
PSO Admin's Avatar
Since: May 2010
Posts: 301
(Administrator)
WhiteStar
Hello Gravitons,

We thank you for your post and we welcome your feedback. At the moment there are no plans to change the current format of the Skill Leagues.

Best Regards,
Team PokerSchoolOnline.


Team PokerSchoolOnline - Administration

 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 08:42 AM
(#5)
TweedleBeetl's Avatar
Since: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,146
ok I now see your point. You are only comparing the prize slices for the 20+VPP players.

even so the value of the $11800 prize pool was under $0.09 per player in the open league in september ($11800/135000 players) but in the prenier league the value for 20+VPP players was $2 per player ($3000/1500)

also, you seem to miss the point that this promotion is meant to be an incentive to get members to play more.
someone that is determined to never even try to reach 150VPP but still thinks he is entitled something is rather useless, don't you think?
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 08:45 AM
(#6)
GamblingProp's Avatar
Since: Jan 2013
Posts: 714
Although I also see your point gravitons, you should understand that if you finish in the top 500 of open skill league and achieve 20+ VPPS you can only compete on the premier league.
It's on the skill leagues info, so I don't see any reason complaining about it, maybe just a suggestion would have been more appropriate.
Anyways that shouldn't discourage you, since you got a decent chance of getting some money from the prize pool in the premier league.
And why not try and earn 150+ VPPS this month and go for a great 30k prizepool next month?
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 09:13 AM
(#7)
Gravitons's Avatar
Since: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Hey thanks everyone so far?

Keep the comments coming, more constructive than the Support Team?

Ok... *Warning* was a bit strong... well removed? Can you change the heading to bold for me as well?

Well I wasn't actually having a go at the League system per se... as such... sort of... get my meaning? (did say we shall see how it goes! less players...etc) and I wasn't complaining... only having a dig at the Support Team!

In fact what I was saying... was that I was NOT entitled to anything? Leave me in the Open League...

Last month I made top 500 without doing anything? Let me see if I can do that again?

Last edited by Gravitons; Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 09:43 AM..
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 09:50 AM
(#8)
slettuce's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitons View Post
Last month I made top 500 without doing anything? Let me see if I can do that again?
Keep us posted on this quote. I will quit poker if you achieve this in the PL.

Last edited by slettuce; Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 10:19 AM
(#9)
TweedleBeetl's Avatar
Since: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by slettuce View Post
Keep us posted on this quote. I will quit poker if you achieve this in the PL.
well, to be fair, this is exactly Gravitons' point.
he managed to sit out his way to the money in the open league, but will not be able to do the same thing in the PL, so he prefers to remain in the open league. Unfortunately he was so careless that he earned over 20 VPPs.
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 10:50 AM
(#10)
slettuce's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleBeetl View Post
he managed to sit out his way to the money in the open league, but will not be able to do the same thing in the PL,
Sorry if I sounded "bitchy", it wasn't my intention.
Was just trying to tell him/her exactly what I underlined in the quote above.
It is impossible, that's all I meant.

Peace.
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 11:09 AM
(#11)
TweedleBeetl's Avatar
Since: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by slettuce View Post
Sorry if I sounded "bitchy", it wasn't my intention.
Was just trying to tell him/her exactly what I underlined in the quote above.
It is impossible, that's all I meant.

Peace.
no problem
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 12:02 PM
(#12)
Gravitons's Avatar
Since: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Hey slettuce... exactly no problem! ...although it was "bitchy" because you misunderstood me entirely!

Thank you TweedleBeetl for trying to explain? I was beginning to think you had to use long sentences to be understood on this forum...

However, Just to clear a few things up...

Firstly, after talking to other players, I am fully aware that the PL is a different Animal altogether! the proposition of finishing in the top 500 is going to be a far more difficult task to achieve... That is why I did not want to be "entitled" to take part.... (slettuce)

Secondly, the careless thing was NOT the +20VPP, actually that was quite profitable! No... the careless thing was... and this brings me back to the original post... when I realised that I was about to finish in the top 500 (OL) I should have nose-dived my position!!!

Added note to both of you... when I said "without doing anything" it didn't mean I sat-out!!! like some do? No.. I played the system...

"Open League rewards those with patience, steady play...etc..etc" at the end of the month I should have played like a "donk"

Now do you understand?
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 02:59 PM
(#13)
slettuce's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitons View Post
Now do you understand?
Yes.
 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 08:15 PM
(#14)
Grade b's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,604
think of it this way, now you have your Free money out of PSO they have set you a challenge, while at the same time making it possible for someone else to get some free cash.

I do understand that the prospect of the $500 first prize is not for you, however there is an easy fix, do not play and next month you are back on easy street in the open league.

Grade b


I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 11:10 PM
(#15)
Gravitons's Avatar
Since: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Thank You Grade b, that was a very considered and thoughtful response... very kind words! I will bear that in mind...

slettuce... good! but, yes sorry would have been more polite?

TweedleBeetl... I'm still waiting? The gibe about my VPP's being "so careless" was uncalled for?

Last edited by Gravitons; Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 11:20 PM..
 
Old
Default
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 05:31 AM
(#16)
TweedleBeetl's Avatar
Since: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitons View Post
TweedleBeetl... I'm still waiting? The gibe about my VPP's being "so careless" was uncalled for?
English is not my first language, so I may have missed something.

I have no idea what you mean here. Did I make a mortal insult? Is the problem that I used the word "careless"?

surely there was some carelessness involved, one of:
  • you did not make sure you understood the rules before taking part
  • you made too many VPPs by mistake
  • You allowed yourself to rank too high (top 500)

In any case I did not intend to insult
 
Old
Default
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 12:34 PM
(#17)
Gravitons's Avatar
Since: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Ok.. English is not your first language, so I will make allowances for that! But you must have a good teacher, because that reply was very well structured?

But... I do detect a slight hint of jealously in the tone of your replies, is it because I made the PL and you didn't? And you think I should just be grateful and not dare to question or challenge the authorities decision?

If I could swop my place with you... I would!

Now,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleBeetl View Post
Unfortunately he was so careless that he earned over 20 VPPs.
That was the gibe! (not a mortal insult just a gibe?) because your implying that earning the VPP's was a mistake and I replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitons View Post
Secondly, the careless thing was NOT the +20VPP, actually that was quite profitable!
Anyway, forget it! this post was not meant to be about the PL set-up or my oversight!, just a cautionary note to other players who gain +20VPP's this month, because in my opinion you would be better off using them in the OL, where the prize fund is 4x larger and the prospect of gaining +points is much easier!! (by playing the system!)

Also, the bulk of this post was really aimed at the Keyboard Bashing Monkeys in the Online Support Team... But more on that later, as my first PL game was very taxing on the brain!!
 
Old
Default
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 05:23 PM
(#18)
EdinFreeMan's Avatar
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,540
My thoughts.

Premier league games are a very good training ground. OSL has limited value as training tool.

Some very good players play in the Premier League and there is a better standard of competition.

I prefer the game structure of the PL too (stacks/blinds/levels etc) - and it suits the smaller fields.

In terms of prize money available - with 20+VPPs it is frankly quite easy to into get the top 500 of the Open Skill League and get $5. However the OSL is very hard to get the top prizes because of the huge fields and because so many players do get in 100+ games per month and that volume pays. Getting more than $10 in OSL with 20+VPPs is very hard to do.

In the premier League, with smaller fields, I think the top prizes will be achievable from a reasonable number of games whenever somebody plays consistently well and maybe gets a heater or decent run of luck. of course having 150+VPPs is optimal, but with 20+VPPs per month I think it would be close as to whether a decent player getting into somewhere between 30 to 50 games per month would earn more from the OSL or PL.

There was a lot of discussion soon after the new leagues were set up - but I think they have worked very well.

And remember they are a promotion and are offering free money - you just need to find the best way to exploit that for yourself.

As to the support staff, so they follow the policy and company line - what do you expect? They will help you with your queries but if all you do is complain the promos don't quite suit you because you don't spend enough money at their site then wtf do you expect.

Good luck in the leagues.

Ed


4 Time Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 07:37 PM
(#19)
Gravitons's Avatar
Since: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Grade b... your absolutely right! - it is a challenge and a chance for more free cash (Less than I was hoping for - haha - but what the heck!!)

(Just played first PL game - interesting, but my opinions are worthless!)

Now, Ed...Ed...Ed You are a genius - that was exactly the response I was hoping for, I'm so glad you took the time to reply - Brilliant!! (Please someone in Online Support - employ this person)

Although, just to clarify! This was never intended to be taken as a complaint, it started out as a respectful decline to an invitation (if you remember?) and as this was the first and definitely will be the last ever post... then it is certainly NOT all the time!

Also, I still think my request to have a ticket removed was very reasonable?

What did I expect (or as Ed puts it... WTF did I expect) - Nothing! - "Tow the company line", but an acknowledgment that it was even considered would have been nice?

Complaint... No... It was more frustration borne out of hitting your head against a brick wall!

See... This was really the main reason for posting - (It was originally put under PS support, but got moved? royalraise85?)

Online Support Team - Please take note... (Your running a survey?)

The responses on here are far more supportive and helpful, than your Cold, Dead, Blank, Mantra Chanting and its some other Teams procedure and they don't communicate with us replies. (Maybe what you need is an Online "Supprum" Team?)

IF... After my first email... I had received Ed's reply, with a few slight alterations and with the addition of Grade b's comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
think of it this way, now you have your Free money out of PSO they have set you a challenge, while at the same time making it possible for someone else to get some free cash.
Then this whole bloated, long winded and pathetic excuse of a post would never have existed and I think we can all agree, that would have been a blessing - quite apt seeing as it is Sunday!!

The End.

(This post is now available in paperback, from all good bookshops...)
 
Old
Default
Mon Oct 07, 2013, 03:42 AM
(#20)
sleepyolman's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 389
Hi Gravitons & Welcome to PSO.
It's a school so when U pass grade 1 they move to the friggin Doctorial Program
OK, So now U know what the deal is.......
Let me gaze into my Crystal Ball & try to glean ur future......I see something...wait...getting clearer...Ooops, UR gonna get the Krap kicked out of U in Premier !
Don't worry about it....The Premier("P")has Soooooo much talent it's really hard to get a foothold there & when playing with under 150 VPPs it seems hardly worth it.....
BUT, lest we forget, it is PSO so what U R 'really' getting when U play the "P" is a great education in a level of NLHE U haven't been exposed to b4 & if U pay attention, U will learn enough to go over to the $.25/45man SNGs and make some consistant $$ there.
Now, Next month, if U really want to compete for the Top 20 ($50 or more) & Top 10 you'll have more skill to do it with. There are many players who play the Open ("O") league 1 month & the "P" the next month because they either can't get the 150 VPPs with their Bankroll or they simply don't want to play enough to get the 150 VPPs. Whatever, U can till have a lot of FUN
Best of Luck this month & I'll see U on the tables & in the "O" next month.
sleepy
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com