Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl river play OOP with a flopped set

Old
2nl river play OOP with a flopped set - Fri Oct 04, 2013, 11:13 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010

Only 25 hands on the villain, was playing 52/20 AF 1.5 .Small sample so...
This I think was the kind of opponent that plays sooted cards and chases the flash-draw all the way to the river.
On the river I beat Ax that make 2 pairs, smaller sets. I dont think he can have a straight on the river, 34, 68 would be too lose of a play, maybe 3c4c, 6c8c
I was planning to call a small bet, but he shoves the river - pot size bet. I think that he has the flush most of the time.
Bet/folding the river I think would have been ok also. Although if I bet to small he might be inclined to shove.
Any thoughts ?

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 11:35 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
Weird line you took there.
Why would you check/call flop and donk turn?
If you want to get the money in, either raise flop or check/shove turn in my opinion.
As played I am probably calling river but it's close.

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 05:17 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
I would donk the flop as its unlikely the opener will bet also if you have 1 or two callers next to act before the opener you can put in a bet get called by the callers pre and then the opener can call or raise.

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 08:25 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2013
I would have folded too.

U bet when A comes, he mostly cant have flop OP he donks on the river.

Last edited by braveslice; Fri Oct 04, 2013 at 08:29 PM..

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 11:49 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi 6att,

Preflop call is good. Lead this flop... In a 4 way pot that is 9 high we can't expect the PFR to c-bet for us, and we would like to start growing the pot now. Anyone with a pair or flush draw will call (but might not bet themselves if checked to in a 4 way pot)... and someone might even float us with ace high.

Once the button bets, check-raise. We will get put on the draw by made hands and maybe shoved on by draws in the hands of a 52/20 villain.

I also don't really understand leading the turn for a small sizing of less than half the pot. If the guy's got a draw he'll probably bluff the ace, if he's got a pair he's going to fold to our bet in all likelihood, and if he was just on a bluff on the flop, again it's a card he'll probably bet for us.

As played, I'd call a 52/20 guy here... he certainly may have a flush, but the line we took is so weird it really looks like we're check/folding to a shove. Since he's probably expecting us to fold now, and since we have some margin of error on the value side as he might shove aces up or smaller sets for value thinking (reasonably given our line) that he's good, I'd disappoint him and call.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com