Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl nut flush river decision

Old
2nl nut flush river decision - Fri Oct 04, 2013, 04:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010

No reads on villain, only 6 hands.
He donks the flop and I decided to call.
When he bets the turn I had 3.4/1 immediate pot odds and decided to call with the implied odds if hit the nut flush.
I figured he could have a Q, flush draw and the turn brought a straight draw also.
I raised the river because I was expecting a worse flush or trip Q to call. When he shoves though I'm not sure if I should still call. Looks like he is not afraid of the flush.
Is this a fold on the river ?

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 11:33 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi 6att,

I don't really like floating the flop with no reads on the villain. Just fold to his donk bet, or raise it (being prepared to shut down if he doesn't fold). Either can be fine here, usually just default to folding readless when we whiff the flop though and get donked into.

As played it's probably a fold on the river when he 3b jams... he can really only have a full house, unless he's overestimating the value of AQ/KQ in this spot (we can't really know with no reads, which is more of why I don't like floating the flop readless).

A note for you to work on, as I've seen you do this in a few posts now... you say in here "and the turn brought a straight draw also", and "I was expecting a worse flush...to call". Ranging your opponent involves a fluidity across all streets, so make sure to evaluate his possible range considering actions on prior streets as well. Yes, the turn brought straight draws, but in order for him to hold one he'd have to donk the flop with some random air hand. Same for a flush on the river... he'd have to have donked the flop with 2 random clubs that are not ace high. While these are not impossible holdings, they are very unlikely, since they are probably not a part of his flop donking range (the only one that would make sense is the broadway draw + spades, a small part of his range, but he might play AsTs, KsTs like this preflop and on the flop). I hope that makes sense.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 02:34 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Yes it does Dave. Thanks

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com