Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

On a really loose table....

Old
On a really loose table.... - Fri Oct 04, 2013, 05:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
Should you tighten up and charge more pre flop for others to enter a pot, knowing you will have 3+ callers in every pot?

Or should you loosen up, charge less and play more pots?

Curious as I'm playing in a game and my bets are not working. If I pot bet, I either get callers or get shoved all in. I can't really shake anyone off a pot.

I've tried limping but that's not the answer as it gives others a chance in the hand.

Any input would be grateful.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 05:19 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey Oval!

The way I go about it is that I try to play the opposite of the table. If they're playing loose, then I tighten up and make sure they pay when I hit a hand. However, if the table is tight, then I'm loosening up and stealing much more often.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 05:49 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hey Oval!

The way I go about it is that I try to play the opposite of the table. If they're playing loose, then I tighten up and make sure they pay when I hit a hand. However, if the table is tight, then I'm loosening up and stealing much more often.

John (JWK24)
It's never quite that simple though

I am referring to bet sizing?

If we tighten our range should we pot bet or even bet more than pot? I'm thinking you want to charge opponents enough that you think they will squirm if they want to call.

But I'm also thinking if we raise less we can loosen our range knowing it will still be ahead of our opponents but we will see more flops and take it from there?

I do take table dynamics into consideration BTW.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 06:18 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Bet sizes, I'm keeping standard regardless of what the table is. When you start varying them like that, your bets turn into tells that an observant opp will absolutely take full advantage of.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com