Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL5: AKs, flopped TPTK, tough turn spot

Old
NL5 zoom: AKs, flopped TPTK, tough turn spot - Sat Oct 05, 2013, 01:28 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013

Hey guys,

only got about 450 hands on him so the stat may not be very accurate VPIP 16 PFR 14 AG 2 3B 4.6 F3B 20 4BR 4.1 and also a very interesting CB/FCB 70:100

the flop is not too wet with just a flush draw so I bet with my TPTK and he called, which makes me think he either has a nine (A9s still possible even after my 3bet since he only folds 20% of his PFR. Don't really think it can be AQs coz he would prob 4bet me here) or a flush draw ( for some reason I just feel he is on the flush draw ) and of coz some weaker Aces. The turn completes the flush, I don't really wanna check here as I would have no idea he has an ace or actually have made the flush. So I bet again and hoping he would fold his small Aces. He end up re-raising so I folded.

Just wondering is this the right play? Coz I lost a lot recently so I am not sure if I am just too conservative or something is really wrong with my game. Please help

Last edited by hahaharofl; Sat Oct 05, 2013 at 01:34 AM..

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 02:06 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
It looks ok. If we call turn we have to call any non-heart river, so our decision should be made OTT. If you feel like never do this with < AK then we can fold, and given his stats and the baluga theoreom i'd be bet/folding like you did.

Have you considered not 3betting pre? I know it seems 'standard' to 3b AK vs every position, but i've recently started flatting with it vs utg opens. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqDhORV_dPs

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 02:41 AM
(#3)
Wow very interesting video !!! Need time to think about it,

But thanks a lot!!! very good video there !!!

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 08:53 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi rofl,

Calling with AK vs UTG is a good idea too against a TAG who we know will not be opening continuing with a wide range against a 3bet. 16/14 is pretty tight. I don't expect them to be opening from UTG with more than 11% of hands. So I would have preferred calling with AK as birdayy points out.

His calling range would be something like: { AK, QQ, JJ } mostly and sometimes KK and slow played AA. Occasionally AQs and KQs, rarely TT/99

Given the Ah is on board I think that decreases the chance that they would have a flush; there is only 1 combo of a FD with KhQh assuming our hand range is correct.

OTF, they would have TP+ approximately 30% of the time, 64% PP below TP (KK-TT)
I think when we bet here we will get called at least once by KK/QQ, JJ/TT might fold. But when we bet the turn KK/QQ should be folding or atleast calling one more if they had a heart to go with it.

The hands that would raise the turn are KhQh, AK (specifically with the Kh), AA, 99. Against that range we have 17% so folding should be the right play.

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 01:20 PM
(#5)
Thx you both !!!!! especially the point that I should just called UTG raise with AK. I think I got the idea now many thanks

And nice to know the bet/fold was the right play at the time

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com