Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

The Poll, ban all software and lets separate the men from the boys

Old
The Poll, ban all software and lets separate the players from the human bots!. - Sat Oct 05, 2013, 05:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
human bots.

Last edited by holdemace486; Sat Oct 12, 2013 at 06:01 AM..

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 06:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
Your problem isn't the software. Its a distinct lack of ability to control your emotions.

Totally against a ban on HEM and PT4 type programmes.

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 07:02 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
I wonder how female players feel about your thread title.

A bad workman blames other people's tools, hehe.

A two-word post doesn't give us much to discuss, but - despite being a stats geek - I would be quite happy if HUDs and trackers didn't exist. But they DO exist, and there's basically no chance that Pokerstars will be banning them any time soon.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 07:04 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2012
I don´t think banning softwares gets much support. They make game more fun. Also when men and boys are separated us women stand alone

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 07:36 AM
(#5)
Since: May 2013
I don't see the problem here. If you don't like software, don't play with computers! (Computers always come with software these days) ... poker existed before software and you can still play poker without software. Just go to wherever you go to play live and you don't have to worry about your opponents seeing you stats or whatever. And after your winning session, yeah separate the men from the boys and the women from the ladyboys, whichever you're after.

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 07:39 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2013
When you say ALL software, are you referring a specific type of software (HUDs?)

I think that I could agree on banning some software but certainly not all.
In fact, I think Pokerstars' policies are relatively sensible.

trackers: (that track my own hands) and replayers
these are essential for reviewing my game and for plugging my leaks

hot-key tools: sometimes it is more convenient to use keyboard instead of mouse. do you want to ban these too? what about disabled people?

auto-registration, auto-timebank, auto-sit-in tools:
These I could agree are getting a bit close to the bot category, and I would not mind to see them banned.
But how could that be enforced reliably?

HUDs: I can take them or leave them. If they are not banned, I will use them.

Online hand databases: should be banned

analysis tools like pokerstove and SNG-wizard: ok to disallow their use during play, but should be allowed offline

table scanners: not sure about that one

note-taking tools: what is wrong about these?

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 09:00 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
Unfortunately there would be a black market if all software was banned.

I use a HUD but was profitable without one. Most of the top pro's I speak too don't use one. Gut feeling means a lot and a HUD takes away some of that. A HUD helps me play far more tables but it didn't improve my game to a great extent. What has improved my game was participating on the PSO. I think that is much more valuable than any HUD.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 10:47 AM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2013
Ban them, burn them, cut them and destroy them all.
On a more serious note you can't be against hud's since they aren't anything more than automatic notes on someones paper.
I don't really like hud's, but banning something essential to a lot of players doesn't sound good for online poker.

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 11:46 AM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2012
I certainly don't think banning HUDs would be good for the game and to be honest I don't think it would make a huge difference to the majority of play. A HUD is only good if you know how to use it and those that know exactly what all these stats mean and how to utilise them are generally good enough players to notice these things without a HUD and use there skill to outplay their opponents. It would just mean less tables for everyone.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
The Poll, ban all software and lets separate the men from the boys - Sat Oct 05, 2013, 08:20 PM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
ChromeStar
Don't ban anything, make it so we can each individually register for tournaments etc. as anonymous that's all that will show up in the lobby of a tournament til we are knocked out, our avatars and name at the table will be blank just the word anonymous will show and no not any contraptions will work on those people. This is a way that there will be no prejudging nothing. I recently played in a couple of tournaments where this was done and it was very interesting to see who was knocked out first.

2012 Double Bracelet Winner

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 09:12 PM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILLI 2 U View Post
Don't ban anything, make it so we can each individually register for tournaments etc. as anonymous that's all that will show up in the lobby of a tournament til we are knocked out, our avatars and name at the table will be blank just the word anonymous will show and no not any contraptions will work on those people. This is a way that there will be no prejudging nothing. I recently played in a couple of tournaments where this was done and it was very interesting to see who was knocked out first.
this has its own problems

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 12:16 AM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2010
I like the idea anonomouse tables being available 4 single table tournaments. possibly 4 cash games as well. anything else could take away some reading skills or thinglike that 4rm the game.

Last edited by pokerstar671; Sun Oct 06, 2013 at 12:19 AM..

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 01:40 AM
(#13)
Anonymous tables will make it more difficult for players to detect soft-play and Stars certainly wouldnt have the resources to checked every hand history to see if soft play was potentially involved.

If you check 2+2 you will see that a large majority of the people there are totally against something like this happening.

Party Poker have done it, along with segregating player pools by skill, and are heavily criticized for it.

I dont think any of these things will happen. Some people need to realize that Online Poker has its own nuances. It isnt live poker. You dont get to see peoples faces, get to play more than one table etc.

I think the amount of detail that HUD's etc. can go into maybe could be curtailed. I have a few basic stats on mine so its not like I am checking if someone is likely to fold to my 4bet from the SB when they are in the BB or anything like that.

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 10:31 AM
(#14)
Since: May 2013
Obviously it wouldn't be anonymous at the server end but think about a zoom tournament without seeing the names of your opponents. Maybe some players would be interested. Personally, I'd like to know who I'm playing against so I can pick targets and milk them.

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 11:56 AM
(#15)
ChromeStar
That's exactly why this type of tournament works, you have to use all information gleened at that table as you play. It was interesting as the tournaments I were in were small and if you knocked someone out you could see in the lobby who that was . As it happens all the Smar. T. Pants were not in the top 10 they were in the bottom 10 and out.

2012 Double Bracelet Winner

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 12:31 PM
(#16)
The pokerstars Client is software.

The PSO forum is software

Skype is software.

In case its not clear I do not favor a blanket ban.

Was listening to the mental game of poker podcast yesterday with Steve McLoughlin from Poker tracker (episode 32) Basically he says even with the software you need to put the work in. They also have removed All in EV as a stat so no record of "luck"

The question is why do you want a ban?

do you think this software puts you at a disadvantage?

Most 2NL players do not have it so you should be able to crush them there holdemace, if this was the case

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 01:56 PM
(#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Most 2NL players do not have it so you should be able to crush them there holdemace, if this was the case

Grade b
Not only at 2NL, but 5NL and 10NL also
And those that use a software, have no clue on how to play poker as they need a crutch in the form of a HUD to tell them what to do and they're still playing at micro levels....LOL

Don't get rid of those software's, but it would be nice to see who uses any of the software's so we can take advantage of them, just like we do with fishies...............LOL

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 02:39 PM
(#18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raccy View Post
Obviously it wouldn't be anonymous at the server end but think about a zoom tournament without seeing the names of your opponents. Maybe some players would be interested. Personally, I'd like to know who I'm playing against so I can pick targets and milk them.
That's my point though.

Only Stars will know who each player is but two people who are soft playing each other wont be spotted by anyone else. I know I have spotted soft-play in the past because I was able to see where the players were from, there was a geographical relationship, and the play itself didn't make a lot of sense. If it were two randomers I would have put it down to bad play. I got my money back and was awarded first place. I didn't have a HUD at that point by the way

If people are using the argument that anonymous tables should be used to prevent HUD usage being effective because HUDs make the game less 'real' then it is a self defeating argument because people dont sit at a table in real life all wearing the same masks/costumes and have the same build. They have distinguishing features.

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 03:53 PM
(#19)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILLI 2 U View Post
Excellent idea. In fact let's go a step further and insist that all live players wear a Niqab. No. Let's go further still. All cards must be blank and the first one to say "I win" scoops the pot.

Ridiculous. Poker is a battle based on acquiring more knowledge and information than, and on, your opponent. No different to any other form of "warfare" really. If this trait of "the game" means you are going to get a regular arse whipping, play something else.

I smell a supporter of "non competitive" sports days here.

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 04:08 PM
(#20)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
Not only at 2NL, but 5NL and 10NL also
And those that use a software, have no clue on how to play poker as they need a crutch in the form of a HUD to tell them what to do and they're still playing at micro levels....LOL

There's probably a little bit of truth to that ... with me at least lol

Well, I'm trying my best - it IS my time vault goal to learn how to play better after all

That being said, even though I'm less dependent on it than I used to be, I still love my HUD!! Maybe one place HUDs are perfect for are games like zoom that are unique to the internet? Like where we're playing several hundred people at the same time? And there's no zoom equivalent in real life, I don't think? Is there? lol

Ahhh, I don't feel too strongly one way or the other ... just came by to say hi to Holdem

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com