Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

QQ, zoom, good fold?

Old
QQ, zoom, good fold? - Sat Oct 05, 2013, 01:57 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
BronzeStar
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...113_77EFD6D287
zoom table, no info on villain, should i fold/call/reraise?

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 05:17 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
As played, I think folding to the raise is prudent, but I wouldn't be in this predicament, because I'd check behind on the flop. It's kind of pointless to make a c-bet on the king high flop, because there aren't many worse hands that can call. Since this is a 3-bet pot, villain will often have a pocket pair or AK. You're losing to sets and ace king, and only beating the middling pairs like JJ-88. It's a textbook "way ahead or way behind" spot, in which you have some showdown value, so should try and get to showdown as cheaply as possible. You're never going to get three streets of value from worse hands on this board, because when you bet, villain can put you on AK and fold his underpair. You don't want hands like TT/99 to fold, as those hands are where your value comes from. If you check behind, worse pairs will think they are good. They might bet the turn, or they might check-call. Either way, you get the villain to put money in the pot with a worse hand than yours. Naturally, sometimes villain has you beat. You can make a judgment call based on his actions on later streets. If he comes out firing on the turn, you can consider folding, but you could also call and see the river. At worst, you only have to face two bets, not three, so won't go broke.
As played, you 3-bet pre and then c-bet the K75 flop. You're repping AK/AA. If villain is raising for value, it's because he can beat TPTK. If the king doesn't scare him, it's pretty clear that queens are no good. I think the check-minraise has "set of sevens" written all over it, so folding is the only good option. Re-raising would be suicidal, as you're only beating a bluff.
Always have a plan for the hand and think back to the fundamentals of value-betting. If your bet or raise can't get called by worse (and will, in fact, only get action from better hands), don't make the bet.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 05:28 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi Arty,

Just asking this for confirmation. If you had AQ (neglecting whether or not you would 3bet with AQ), you would cbet this flop hoping to take it down (like you said repping AK), and if called, shutting down.

Cheers,

Pullin

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 06:04 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Yes, pullin, I'd bet with AQ. With very little showdown value and only 3 outs to top pair, I'd bluff with AQ to try and get villain off hands like TT/99.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sat Oct 05, 2013 at 06:22 PM..

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 03:52 AM
(#5)
Cheers Arty,

I have now learnt something with regards to "way a head or way behind". Like gaylooser I would have cbet with QQ , but now I know a different way.

I have another question. What do you do if villain has position on you. You check on the flop with QQ (in this way ahead or way behind situation) and villain bet the flop either small or large (which could either be a bluff or a legitimate hand). Do you keep calling to showdown, or do you call hoping to see a street for free - I don't know?
Cheers,

Pullin

Last edited by pullin1988; Sun Oct 06, 2013 at 04:04 AM..

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 08:14 AM
(#6)
Since: May 2013
BronzeStar
my plan was to cb+fold to reraise, so thats happened, but now i think checking behind would be much much better cuz i could got minraised by flush draw here Q_Q ;_;

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 08:22 AM
(#7)
I think that's why having the intiative is really important preflop. I think if villain has position on you, he will be more inclined on average to check behind (being scared of you leading preflop) or that's what you could hope for.

Cheers,

Pullin

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com