Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

mistake or unlucky?

Old
mistake or unlucky? - Sat Oct 05, 2013, 03:29 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
Was this just a stupid mistake?

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 03:41 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2013
looks like a tournament or SNG.
I am not ready to call an allin this early in a tournament unless I have definitive reads that villain will do this with a very wide range.

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 03:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Hi Michae.

Um,there's really no way to answer your question here,because you're not giving us any information.

Just what type of tournament this is,or SNG if that's the case,can change the analysis greatly.

In an Open league game,I'm folding AQs this early anyway. Never even making the initial raise.

In a standard blinds cash MTT or SNG I'm almost always folding,unless I know that the player is a complete lunatic,shove ATC's type. And even then I may lean to folding as patience may very well get me a much better spot against this type than going with AQs.

In a turbo structure the probability of my going with this hand early increases. In a Hyper-turbo I'm snap calling.

See how much of a difference JUST the game and structure alone can make? You want the best answer possible then we need information to work with. Hope that helps.

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 03:59 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Michae2005!

What type of tourney is this from? My answer will depend greatly on what your reply is.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 04:11 PM
(#5)
Sorry all

It’s a UK & Ireland Giveaway Free role. The trouble I have is I feel I play too tight and hardly ever play any hands so I tried to play a bit loser and feel I have gone too far on this hand in struggling to find that right balance. The player that went all in hade done to 4 times so fare but never made it to the showdown.

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 05:16 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michae2005 View Post
Sorry all

It’s a UK & Ireland Giveaway Free role. The trouble I have is I feel I play too tight and hardly ever play any hands so I tried to play a bit loser and feel I have gone too far on this hand in struggling to find that right balance. The player that went all in hade done to 4 times so fare but never made it to the showdown.
If this is the same as the one I played in a few nights ago then it is a turbo structure...In which case I think getting it in here is fine. We need to chip up asap to avoid being eaten by the blinds and AQ is plenty good enough to stack off with in this situation I think.

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 05:50 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Michae2005!

With AQs from the SB in a turbo freeroll (or any other tourney I'm going to play the hand here), I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 3 limpers, I will raise to 300. I don't want to raise to a smaller amount, as I can be giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me.

I then get an opp that limp/shoves. If this were a different type of tourney, I'd muck here. The reason is that I'll be up against a mid/large pair or AK and AQs does not play well against this range.
However, with this being a freeroll, especially in a turbo, I'll lower my requirements for calling and call with AQs here, as the opps can be shoving with lesser and lesser hands (where it would be +EV to call due to their range).

In this type of format, AQs is basically at the very bottom of the range that I would call with. In a standard tourney, I'd want AK+, JJ+ to call.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 06:50 PM
(#8)
I haven’t seen +EV what does this mean?

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 06:52 PM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2013
+EV means positive expected value

Old
Sat Oct 05, 2013, 07:05 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michae2005 View Post
I haven’t seen +EV what does this mean?

EV is expected value. A +EV play is one where I expect to gain chips on average each and every time. A -EV play is one where I expect to lose on average.

EV = hand equity - pot equity

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 04:42 AM
(#11)
and how would you work that out?

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 10:56 AM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
pot equity is the amount of chips that I need to put into the pot divided by the size the pot will be after my chips are put in.

hand equity comes from an equity calculator using my hand, the opponent's range and if applicable, any cards shown on the board. For calculating this, I use pokerstove.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com