Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.50 SNG - Float vs SuperLAG - Y/N?

Old
$1.50 SNG - Float vs SuperLAG - Y/N? - Sat Oct 05, 2013, 05:20 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
This was the first tournament I played since I went on my 1-month break for September.

Villain was very Loose-Aggressive, especially once we were down to 6 players. He min-raised a lot pre-flop (and was doing so virtually every hand once we were 4 and 3-handed), and would even often open-shove when he was an overwhelming bigstack, which is what led to this play.

I am fairly certain I played most of this hand well, other than how I got binked out at the end. There is one reason I'm posting this: to check if the float was okay.

When he min-raised the small blind, I knew that he could be doing this with almost anything, which led to my flat-call with K-10s. Because the flop was very dry, I knew that he would probably c-bet with any of his holdings.

So I floated, with the following plan in mind:
*If the turn was a Q or a 10, I would check if checked to me and call a bet of no more than half the pot.
*If the turn was a K, I would call if he bet, and make a probe-bet if he checked with the intention of going all the way.
*If the turn was a blank, I would fold if bet into me, but bluff for about 2/3 of the pot if checked to, with the intention of folding to a check-raise.

Now, I know that my turn call of his shove and the initial flat-call were good, but I'm not sure about my float. That's what I would like to be examined in this spot.

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 10:46 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2013
Against a loose aggressive player, I would fold most of my hands, but when I choose to play one, I'll 3-bet big. I want to win the pot without a showdown. The second best play I can think of would be to call the raise and check-raise the flop.

About your planning, I wouldn't pay so much attention to the cards on the board. A loose aggressive player could have any two cards. So I would choose my starting hands carefully and play them as if I had AA.

Floating is passive. It attracts aggression from a LAG player. So floating is fine if you can win the showdown with all your chips in the middle.

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 10:53 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
I too would 3 bet or even shove pre flop but as played you got your chips in well ahead. No point worrying too much, it was his mistake.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 11:06 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Chrisxof

I think that calling preflop is best. Our hand plays very well against villains range and if we are lucky enough to hit something there's a good chance that the aggro villain will give us a big chunk or maybe even all of his chips, where as if we 3bet and he shoves we're going to have to fold, the chances of villain flatting our 3bet 'if he's any good' are slim as he's not going to want to play out of position.

I would rather 3bet a crummy hand than 3bet the KTs because the K10s plays well postflop and I feel like that is where we will be able to take advantage of villains aggression.

Shoving is a no no, we're over 30 blinds deep and there aren't any ante's yet so I love the flat.

Floating flop is fine so long that you have the intention of betting the turn if he checks to you but I would however straight up fold the hand on the flop if villain is the type to barrel a lot.

I'm happy with the way you played the hand and I think leading the turn is great because in villain eyes or at least my eyes you can't have many K's in your range.

Nice hand, Chris.

Last edited by ChewMe1; Sun Oct 06, 2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 06:27 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks for the response, Chewme. I really wasn't too sure about the float, but the thought that I should barrel any card if he checks to me wasn't something I had thought of. I thought actions after floats were more situational then that. Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, I don't understand people who say they want to win hands against a LAG without showdown - if you make money from a LAG, you make it from them by getting them to bluff it all off on you when you have a good hand that you know is ahead of most of the LAG's range. Why would you try to get them off of a hand in that case? If you succeed, you reveal they were bluffing, but you don't get as much money from it. If you fail, all the money's going in quicker, and you're less sure of where you stand against them.

I don't know, those are just my thoughts.

Old
Mon Oct 07, 2013, 09:46 AM
(#6)
Since: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christxof View Post
Also, I don't understand people who say they want to win hands against a LAG without showdown - if you make money from a LAG, you make it from them by getting them to bluff it all off on you when you have a good hand that you know is ahead of most of the LAG's range. Why would you try to get them off of a hand in that case? If you succeed, you reveal they were bluffing, but you don't get as much money from it. If you fail, all the money's going in quicker, and you're less sure of where you stand against them.
This might be true in cash games but I don't really play those so I wouldn't know. Tournaments are different. Well, at least for me. I try to minimise my chances of getting knocked out when I play tournaments whereas I don't see how that'd be an issue in cash games. Therefore, I think winning the pot and surviving a LAG is more important than trying to maximise the number of chips in the pot. I don't mind growing the pot with a strong hand against a tight opponent but I prefer small ones against LAG players. Here's an example from yesterday:

I opened from early position, 3BB raise with TT. Then I see a late position 3-bet which I call. Heads-up, the flop comes out 622. I bet, they shove, I call, only to see their 62o and myself being out of the tourney. I didn't know I was up against a LAG opponent but next time this particular player will not see the flop against my TT without having all their chips in the pot preflop.

So you can expect surprising bad beats if you go all the way with LAG players. If you win the pots without a showdown there won't be any bad beats. If you want to win the tournament, you only have to win the showdown once, and that's the last hand of the tournament.

Now the KTs isn't exactly a hand I would 3-bet with but it's close. I might just make the call and play it very passively, trying to keep the pot small unless I hit it big.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com