Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

How to represent an ace on an AA board?

Old
How to represent an ace on an AA board? - Sun Oct 06, 2013, 10:17 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
First, you can ignore my hole cards in this hand as they're there only for bragging purposes after a successful play.

I gave up because I wasn't confident that the villain could lay down their KK, QQ, JJ, TT, or whatever hand they raised with. The pot got too big (or our stacks got too short) for me to continue.

After I let it go I was told I had QQ or JJ, which would make sense, wouldn't it. The villain announced they didn't have an ace but obviously they didn't believe I had it either. I was a bit thrown off by those two aces on the board which would've made my A very strong but somehow I failed to represent that strength.

So how do I pull off this bluff? Bet sizing might be the key? Check-raising?

I want to 1) represent an ace, 2) make increasingly big bets, preferably on all streets to give them more chances to fold,
3) avoid having to go all-in in case I get a call, and 4) I don't want to make the villain pot-committed too early. I want it to be an easy fold for them.

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 11:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi raccy!

The key to something like this is consistent standard bets. The bets have to be standard for this and every other hand that you're playing and showing down big hands. If the sizing changes, then an observant opponent will pick off all of your bluffs because they don't look right.

Preflop, I need to make a standard 3-bet, which is to between 3X the previous bet and a pot-sized raise. I will make this same raise sizing and with multiple opps showing interest in the hand, I go for the higher of those two numbers, so I will raise to 1735... no more, no less, as I need to keep this standard.

On the flop, I need to make the exact same standard value bet that I would make with Ax (1/2 pot). I do not want to bet more nor less. I need it to be exactly what I would do with an A.

On the turn, I need to bet 1/2 pot again... but... this would pot-commit me, so I need to shove.

The key with this hand is when the player OOP checks the turn, they will not have an A, as a player with an A needs to shove in order to protect an A against the flush draw. The check does not look right and does not make sense, so the prior bets were a bluff. The hand says strength pre, strength on the flop, very weak on the turn... it don't make sense.

The key to bluffing is that the hand has to tell a consistent story and be bet the same as the hand I'm trying to represent. If not, then it doesn't work and when things just don't look right, they're normally a bluff.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Here is an example of one where I did it (I was repping a 5 instead of an A, but it's the exact same principle). Std raise preflop. Standard 1/2 pot bet on flop. Standard raise on the turn. Every bet has to be exactly what you would do if you had the made hand.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 07, 2013, 10:02 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2013
Thanks John, a few more questions about your response.

1. Is it safe to assume that the villain recognises a "standard-sized" bet? I wouldn't have until I saw your posts on this forum. My c-bets with a made hand have been anything between 1BB to over pot size, depending on the situation, stack sizes etc.

2. Would you go all-in on any street without a hand, just because you want to represent a big hand? There'a always a chance that players make unexpected calls which means an end to your tournament life.

3. How would you play on the flop if you had AA, knowing that everyone's so far behind that they couldn't possibly beat you?

Old
Mon Oct 07, 2013, 11:45 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi raccy!

1) the opp may or may not recognize them, but without a read that they don't.. one thing that I do is to never underestimate the opp. Varying a bet due to stack size slightly is fine, but varying it due to hand strength is a HUGE tell that many observant opps will pick up on. It's something that I'm looking for and taking notes on opps anytime I see them.

2) If you want to rep a hand, you have to make the same bets that the hand that you wish you had would make. If that means to go all-in, then I need to go all-in. Anything that looks out of line will draw scrutiny from an observant opp... which is trouble when trying a bluff. Most things that just don't look right are exactly what they seem to be.. a bluff. This is one of the things that many players look for and will call bets with bluff-catchers when they see this. It's also why you'll see the phrase 'You can't bluff a station'. If the opp would call down bets, then you cannot bluff them, as they won't fold.

3)With AA (very, very unlikely on this flop), I would check/call, like I had nothing and was floating or hit the low card on the flop. There are many combinations of Ax that a player can have, but with only 1 combo of AA, if you want to run a bluff, it's easier to rep Ax as it's much more believable due to more combinations of it.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JWK24; Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 11:50 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com