Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Can i escape in the river?

Old
Can i escape in the river? - Mon Oct 07, 2013, 11:15 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

Button ($2.99)
SB ($2)
Hero (BB) ($2.28)
UTG ($2.02)
MP ($2.02)
CO ($2)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, K
1 fold, MP raises to $0.06, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, MP calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.37) Q, 2, 9 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.18, MP calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.73) K (2 players)
Hero checks, MP bets $0.34, Hero calls $0.34

River: ($1.41) 3 (2 players)
Hero checks, MP bets $0.68, Hero calls $0.68

Total pot: $2.77 | Rake: $0.10

Results below:
Click to show hidden text

It's a must fold on the river? What do you think about the turn check/call line?

Last edited by MrFlopes; Mon Oct 07, 2013 at 11:27 AM..

Old
Mon Oct 07, 2013, 12:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
As played, I can't fold the river against a random villain (no stats given), partly because the price is right, but your check-call line is what causes the problem. You let the villain dictate the size of the pot and you end up playing guessing games.

C-betting is standard, and then when you improve to TPTK on the turn, you should bet again. You can go into bet-fold mode. Villain might decide to slowplay and flat with two pairs or a set (and possibly even with the JT nut straight), but if he raises, you have a relatively easy fold. (This might be a spot where Baluga theorem applies in a 3-bet pot, as I can't see a random 2NL player raising the turn with AQ/QJ or other random hands you beat).

There's really no need to put yourself into trouble spots by doing stuff like checking with TPTK. A '2NL for Dummies' guide would emphasise the basic advice: "Bet for value, fold if you get raised", because it's often as simple as that.
If villain did just call on the turn, you could make a small blocking bet on the river (planning to fold to a shove), or sometimes check-call if you think he'll bluff as often as bet for value. Check-calling for two streets is not recommended, however.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 08, 2013, 07:21 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
I guess my reasoning was that no weak hand would call that king turn on a 3bet pot.I hate prob bets, seem too weak, can't get myself to fire one of them. If i bet turn, i'm prepared to check/fold river. I prefer this line, don't know if it's the best one. Thx, Arty.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com