Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25nl Zoom: Check/calling OTR

Old
25nl Zoom: Check/calling OTR - Tue Oct 08, 2013, 06:12 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Stats - VPIP: 54, PFR: 31, 3B: 0, AF: 1.5, Hands: 13

Just a quick check on my line here. I think bet/bet/bet is a little bit optimistic for top pair ok kicker.

I think he'll have a lot of missed draws when the board pairs, so if we want to get value, we should be check/calling to let our hand be a bluff catcher.

Do you think this extracts more value than b/b/b?

What range do you assign the villain when he flats pre and calls our bets?

-birdayy

Old
Tue Oct 08, 2013, 06:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
not 86 for sure , I think you can't get value with river bet, but you can catch his missed draws

Old
Tue Oct 08, 2013, 10:15 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi birdayy,

Very limited read with only 13 hands, but thus far he's been laggy. A note for those looking at the AF and saying it doesn't look aggressive post flop... I wouldn't make that determination on a 7 hand sample (he's voluntarily played 7/13 hands so far) where he's likely been involved with wide ranges and thus flopping weaker than average holdings.

Ok, so yeah, I like this line when there are a lot of draws and most of them miss vs. a player like this. Against a tighter player there's really only a flush draw bricking here, but against this villain I expect he's chasing gut shots on the turn as well, so the only combo of gutters that get there is 67... 68/78/JT/QT/QJ all miss. So his range here is probably mostly weaker hands... Kx, 9x, busted spades, and busted gutters that either did or did not pair the 8. Since a laggy player may well bet Kx themselves when checked to, we still get value from his garbage like K3s check/calling, but also give him a chance to bluff.

The key questions to ask in a spot like this are:

-Will they bluff a busted draw, or just give up?
-Will they "value bet" worse made hands, or just check and show them down?

Since this guy is probably a candidate to do some of both, c/c is a good way to exploit it. If he were a negative on both, we should bet again.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com