Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Short-Stacked/Deep-Stacked!

Old
Short-Stacked/Deep-Stacked! - Tue Oct 08, 2013, 10:28 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi all,

I have recently been reading about short-stacked and deep-stacked poker and how this can affect your decisions and how it changes the strengths of particular hands.

For instance, I have read that with a 20bb stack, a hand like AJ is very strong - why is this so?

Is it because your likely to be all-in before the flop.

As an example AJo VS TT, the equity is 43.3% vs 56.7% respectively.

At first, I wonder why this makes a difference to say not going all-in, but taking it all the way street by street, but I think I realise that if you have chance to see a flop with still a stack your equity changes and therefore can make a decision based on the information that you have.
Is this right or am I missing something?

Also I have read that if you are deep-stacked you might not want to take KK all-in preflop - Why is this?

Is this because that an opponents range can tighten up even more so now that it's possible to say face a 6bet?

Is my reasoning right, or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Pullin1988

Old
Tue Oct 08, 2013, 11:00 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I think you're understanding it pretty well.

A shorter stack leads to an earlier commitment decision, which means that you're more likely to be all in, and seeing all five community cards, thus realising your entire equity.
AJo becomes a monster when short-stacked, because it's only an underdog to 22/AQ+/AJs if it goes to showdown. You're generally happy to get it in pre, when you're technically only losing to 8% of hands, and even if your shove was only called by hands that are ahead of you, you'd still have 37% equity.

With a deeper stack, it takes more bets to reach the commitment threshold. You're less likely to see all the community cards (because you can fold) and will have to make tricky decisions on every street. A hand like AJ is not a such a great hand when deep, because it has reverse implied odds. If you played a big pot post-flop with AJ and only had one pair, you'd usually lose. Your equity would rapidly decline post-flop if you failed to make a pair, but your opponents improved. It's obviously not a great spot to be in if the pot keeps getting bigger post-flop, but your relative hand strength is getting smaller.

----
EDIT: It might help to think of it like this: Pre-flop with AJ, you have a good ace high. You're only losing to 8% of hands. Let's say an opponent has 76s. You're obviously beating 7 high. If the hand ended there, you win the pot with the best hand. Now deal out a flop. If you made top pair, that's great, but if you don't, you could be in trouble. The more community cards you deal out, the more chance 76s has to make a pair, or hit a straight/flush. You therefore would prefer to commit all your chips to the pot pre-flop, when you're much more likely to have the best hand.
---

With KK, you might be more cautious pre-flop when deep, because the likelihood that a villain has aces increases if you get into a pre-flop raising war. A villain might 3-bet light with A5s or 65s (and fold to a 4-bet), but only 5-bet with KK+/AK. A 7-bet shove would be very scary indeed, because it would seem highly unlikely that a villain would ever do this with QQ, because the deep stacks would have enabled him to just call a 4-bet with that hand.
In short, if the deep stacks enable villains to make profitable calls (of 4-bets/5bets) with worse hands than KK, the fact that he's 5/6/7-betting means he's more likely to have aces.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Tue Oct 08, 2013 at 11:10 AM..

Old
Tue Oct 08, 2013, 11:06 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
is only psychologically. the game is the same.
y think you should play your game no matter what size is your stack.

Old
Tue Oct 08, 2013, 11:08 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2013
Cheers Arty and ak725_ryder.

I guess both Hero and villain's being deep-stacked your implied odds shoots through the roof (or can do)

thoes suited connectors are looking good, when you could potentially win a pot with super implied odds. So therefore, speculating with suited connectors goes up (becomes more profitable with hero and villian having deep stacks), the strength of TPTK goes down, since there is going to be a higher chance that vilian does indeed have a better hand.

Cheers,

Pullin1988

Last edited by pullin1988; Tue Oct 08, 2013 at 11:21 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com