Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

what are the main things to focus when starting poker ?

Old
what are the main things to focus when starting poker ? - Wed Oct 09, 2013, 05:10 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
Hello,

i started around 2 weeks ago, before i never played poker at all and didn't know about it.

i Got some general knowledge about the game, i completed the poker basics course, i played few only games with play money, few live games with my brother that started to play at the same time i did.

now, i'm wondering, what should i focus on the most first, to progress.

I want to be at least a serious player,all these tournaments seems so interesting.

i'm looking forward to your replies

Old
Wed Oct 09, 2013, 06:06 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Syldsp!

It's a good question, but hard to answer in anything but general terms without knowing your skill level, or learning abilities. I think that, as a beginner, you shouldn't be trying to learn anything very advanced too quickly, as that might just confuse you. It's more important to first gain a solid understanding of the fundamentals, which are covered well by the PSO courses. It's crucial, for example, that you understand hand strengths, the value of position, and the primary reasons for betting. From some of the play I see at the microstakes, it's clear that many players are clicking buttons almost at random. They couldn't tell you whether they are betting for value, or as a bluff. They just like betting! I'm also pretty sure a large percentage of the players in freerolls wouldn't be able to pass the PSO quizzes, so you have an edge on some of them already.
If there's anything you're at all unsure of that was mentioned in the PSO courses, feel free to ask for clarification now.

The next step for you is to go out and try a few different games to see which suits you. There's a huge range of games on offer, including cash games (6-max and full ring), large field tourneys, and sitngos. The tourneys are further categorized according to their structures, by which I mean the speed that the blinds go up. Each type of game requires slightly different skills and strategy, so it's helpful to focus on one type - once you've tested the waters - in order to learn the best way to beat that particular format. If you happened to decide that tourneys with a small field (say 45-90 entrants) and a slow structure suited you best (it's what I'd recommend), then you could hunt down all the training videos for 45-man and 90-man sitngos. If you preferred cash games, then there's lots of information on those.
I'd recommend you find the games with the cheapest buy-ins of all, so you can learn to play for minimal risk. 25c SnGs are running round the clock, and there are also 10c MTTs and various freerolls available.

My favourite way to learn and improve my skills is to go to Live Training sessions. I used to play cash games only, and had great difficulty when I first tried playing tournaments. By going to tourney training sessions with Chewme1 and ahar010, I learned a lot of new tricks! The best thing about Live Training sessions is that you get to participate. While a trainer is playing, you can ask him questions about his play, and immediately learn something new.
If you can't make it to live training, you can find hundreds of videos in the archive.

I hope this helps as a start. Maybe some others can chip in, with some of the things they did when they first started out, and the steps they took to improve their play.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 09, 2013, 07:04 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2013
thank you for your reply, it really helps.

so i guess that for know i'll continue to study the PSO courses and also will paly and figure what kind of game suits me the best.

i was just wondering about something else, for now i only play on play money tables and it doesn't seems a good place to practice for too long, how can i tell when i am ready to play real money games ?

i guess that real money games will really bring me the experience i need.

Old
Wed Oct 09, 2013, 07:58 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
I would advice you to watch some videos here at pso for beginners.
They can be found at the videos>library.
As for the experience, it would be best for you to play at the lowest levels and play only when you are confident that you know the basics.

Old
Wed Oct 09, 2013, 11:40 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
As a true beginner, the first few topics that a player needs to learn are...

1) hand selection based on position
2) hand reading of opponents
3) standard bet sizes

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 16, 2013, 09:36 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2011
Great response to that

Old
Wed Oct 16, 2013, 02:07 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
When you recognize these your learning pace will increase:

You can do everything right and still lose the hand.

Decisions matter, not individual hand results. This is a game of the long haul.

You make more money from your opponents mistakes than your good plays.

Those who win the most pots rarely win the most money.
Corollary: It's not the number of pots you win, its the size of the pots you win.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com