Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Rule of 2 and 4 and pot odds

Old
Rule of 2 and 4 and pot odds - Thu Oct 10, 2013, 12:27 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
SilverStar
Hi

I find the rule of 2 and 4 very helpful for calculating my chances of making my hand but when I calculate pot odds they are in the following format 5/1 etc but the rule of 2 and 4 produces a %
Therefore I am not sure where I am
Is there an easy way to convert odds to % or % to odds and if not how do others cope with this.
Eg

9 outs on flop so 36% chance of making hand by river using rule of 2 and 4
Odds to call 5/1
I need them both to be in % or both to be in odds to know where I am

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Mike

Old
Thu Oct 10, 2013, 01:37 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Guy,

The Pot Odds and Expected Value lesson in the Cash Game course is an excellent guide to determine your odds in relation to the rule of 2 and 4.
Hope this helps.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 10, 2013, 09:39 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
To turn an odds ratio into a fraction, which is easy to turn into a percentage, the calculation goes like this:

Odds
X:Y

Fraction
Y/(X+Y)

So if your odds are 4:1, the fraction is 1/(4+1) = 1/5, which as a percentage is 20%

If odds are 3:2, the fraction is 2/5 = 40%

To travel in the opposite direction, converting from percentages to odds, you put the % on one side of the ratio and (100-%) on the other, and then simplify.
e.g. 20% shown as an odds ratio is (100-20):20 = 80:20 = 8:2 = 4:1

Some other commons ones that you can commit to memory:

1:1 = 50%
3:2 = 40%
2:1 = 33.3%
3:1 = 25%
4:1 = 20%
5:1 = 16.7%

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Thu Oct 10, 2013 at 09:46 AM..

Old
Thu Oct 10, 2013, 11:19 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
Hello OrdinaryGuy1,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thanks - Fri Oct 11, 2013, 07:35 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
SilverStar
Hi

Thank you both for those replies. I can work it out now

Much appreciated

Mike

Old
Wed Oct 16, 2013, 05:34 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokyPokyToo View Post
Hi Guy,

The Pot Odds and Expected Value lesson in the Cash Game course is an excellent guide to determine your odds in relation to the rule of 2 and 4.
Hope this helps.

Joss

I have read this over and over and it is just confusing me. In the first example it looks a Flushdraw (9 outs) with a pot of $5, to call you need to pay $1 giving you pot odds off 5:1. That I get but where I’m getting confused is the next bit. If I go with the 2 and 4 rule I make it 18% chance of me hitting the flush on the next card so I make that as if I played the same hand 5 times I will hit once. Meaning I will only break even. But in the example it said out of 4 plays you will hit once I would have thought you would need to have a 25% chance of hitting your hand to hit it once out of 4 plays?

Maybe my maths is failing me or I have got myself confused. Pot odds v hand potential is want I’m trying to get in my head at the mo and my head is spinning. If someone could clear this up for me I would be very happy. I have decided to stop playing till I am confident with this.

Michael

Last edited by Michae2005; Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 05:45 AM..

Old
Wed Oct 16, 2013, 08:49 AM
(#7)
Hi Michael. There used to be a typo on one of the 'odds and outs' pages that confused everyone, but I think that got fixed. I can't immediately spot a mistake on the page you linked to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michae2005 View Post
But in the example it said out of 4 plays you will hit once I would have thought you would need to have a 25% chance of hitting your hand to hit it once out of 4 plays?
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong example, but I don't see where it says "out of 4 plays". When discussing the nut flush draw, it says "According to the chart above, your odds are 4:1 to hit your flush draw."

What that means is the odds of hitting the flush are "four to one against", i.e. "You will miss 4 times for each 1 time you hit". Odds of 4:1 means a 1 in five, (20%) chance.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 16, 2013, 06:43 PM
(#8)
Hi Arty

Thank you for replying, I thought I had it right. I have pasted the part below that got me confused and doubting myself and have highlighted what I believe is the typo, I think it should say Five not Four?

Example with the nut flush draw:
You have the nut flush draw (nine outs) on the flop and the pot is $4. Your opponent bets $1. There is now $5 in the pot ($4 + $1), and it is $1 to call. The pot odds are therefore 5:1.

According to the chart above, your odds are 4:1 to hit your flush draw. The pot odds are higher. You should therefore call.

You can see why this call is correct by looking at the long-term picture. If you make this call four times, mathematics says that you will hit your draw once. That means you will win $5 for every $4 (4 * $1) you invest. That is good business.

I all so noticed that further down it said that if you have 4 out’s its 10:1 however on the chart further up it states 4 outs is 11:1!!!

Thanks for the help
Michael

Old
Thu Oct 17, 2013, 02:29 AM
(#9)
Since: Mar 2011
Hope this helps http://www.pokerstarsblog.com/oddschart.html

I prefer comparing %'s to %'s also as 4/1 i think of horse racing

Old
Thu Oct 17, 2013, 10:15 AM
(#10)
Quote:
If you make this call four times, mathematics says that you will hit your draw once.
The section in red looks like a mistake to me. 4:1 odds means odds of 4 to 1 against, or a one in five chance (20%).
I'll let a moderator know, and hopefully it can be corrected. Thanks for drawing this to our attention.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 18, 2013, 05:55 AM
(#11)
Glad to help

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 01:36 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
The section in red looks like a mistake to me. 4:1 odds means odds of 4 to 1 against, or a one in five chance (20%).
I'll let a moderator know, and hopefully it can be corrected. Thanks for drawing this to our attention.

Hi
Can I just point out that this is still wrong and confusing me . Am I right in saying that if I have 2:1 (15 outs) to hit my hand I would need pot odds off 3:1 to break even in the long term?

Thanks
Michael

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 04:14 PM
(#13)
If hand odds are the same as pot odds, then you break even.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 04:22 PM
(#14)
Since: Apr 2013
Just as an extension to what Arty wrote,

If the pot odds are greater than the hand odds you will make money in the long run.

E.g. As what you wrote

Pot odds 3:1
Hand odds 2:1

You will make money.

Cheers,

Pullin

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 04:54 PM
(#15)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Hi Arty

Thank you for replying, I thought I had it right. I have pasted the part below that got me confused and doubting myself and have highlighted what I believe is the typo, I think it should say Five not Four?

Example with the nut flush draw:
You have the nut flush draw (nine outs) on the flop and the pot is $4. Your opponent bets $1. There is now $5 in the pot ($4 + $1), and it is $1 to call. The pot odds are therefore 5:1.

According to the chart above, your odds are 4:1 to hit your flush draw. The pot odds are higher. You should therefore call.

You can see why this call is correct by looking at the long-term picture. If you make this call four times, mathematics says that you will hit your draw once. That means you will win $5 for every $4 (4 * $1) you invest. That is good business.

I all so noticed that further down it said that if you have 4 out’s its 10:1 however on the chart further up it states 4 outs is 11:1!!!

Thanks for the help
Michael

You need 2 to 1 odds to break even on a 1 in 3 chance to hit.
You need 3 to 1 odds to break even on a 1 in 4 chance to win.
You need 4 to 1 odds in order to break even on a 1 in 5 chance to hit.

In the above example, the pot stands at $4 before the flop. The flop comes, and you hold a flush draw. An opponent in front of you then bets $1, making the total pot $5. You must call $1 to continue.

The chance to hit your flush draw is approximately 19% on the next street (9 outs divided by 47 unknown cards), therefore you will hit it roughly 1 time in 5 attempts (actually, you'd need a 20% chance to hit to have a 1 in 5 chance exactly).

At the time you must make your decision the pot odds to call are 5 to 1, since you would be risking 1 to potentially win $5.

In this example you will lose $1 a total of 4 times (or $4), for every $5 pot you win. If the pot were only $4 instead of $5, you'd just about break even (actually be a bit under break even, but the rule of 4 and 2 is not exact). Since the return exceeds the risk, you should make the $1 call here.

I see nothing wrong with the example as presented here...

I do think the part in red is just a typo. I think it meant to read:

If you make this call FIVE times, mathematics says that you will hit your draw once, and lose 4 times.

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 04:58 PM..

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 10:18 AM
(#16)
Thanks for the replies I have worked out how I had got myself confused. I was trying to explain it to a friend at work and when righting an example I had miss calculated the maths. Feel a bit silly now as I have all ways been good at maths but thanks again

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com