Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

IOPC Oct Event, pocket Qs vs BTN - Going against my own instinct

Old
IOPC Oct Event, pocket Qs vs BTN - Going against my own instinct - Thu Oct 10, 2013, 01:40 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
This is a play money hand from IOPC Oct Event #4 - Level VII (60/120) MTT.

I have 36 samples on the BTN, who has 104BB vs my 41BB and I have pocket Qs and everyone folds to me, sitting before him.
I raise 2.2BB in the hope of getting some action from the 3 players left. Should I have gone all in here pre flop? Sure seems it after the hand.

BTN calls and re-raises me to a nightmare of a flop. Seeing a VP of 6 and a PFR of 0, I put him at a flush draw.
Frankly his stack lead over me coupled with his odd bet size, puzzled me for a second, and then I went all in hoping for another spade so I could make the higher flush, I knew he didn't have Ks. Hello Tilt!

I felt the right move was to fold, I wasn't pot committed, and would like some feedback on this hand.

Old
Thu Oct 10, 2013, 02:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi IBStryp!

With QQ (or any other hand that I'm going to open with), I'm going to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. Due to this, I will raise to 360. I do not want to make less than a standard raise, as I can be giving players with marginal the right odds to call to try to outdraw me. If I'm ahead (which I most likely am), I want the opps to have to make a play to call me where they expect to LOSE chips.

I definitely DO NOT want to just randomly shove preflop. The only way that I want to shove is if the bet that I will make pot-commits me. Shoving over 40BB is not something I would even consider, as doing so will get me value-owned. I'll fold out all the worse hands and only get called by a hand that beats me.
On one of the other sites that I play on, I see players doing this all the time. They get no value when their hand is better (unless the opps are not aware of what they're doing) and then get tilted when they lose. All I do is to sit back and laugh, everytime that I see it, as it's a VERY bad play.

I get a very bad flop for my hand, as an A and three spades hit the board. Although I do have a draw to the 2nd nut flush, I could easily be behind here. Since I raised preflop, I'm going to make a c-bet here and the size of it will be a standard bet for a heads-up pot, which is 1/2 pot.

I now get a huge overbet raise from the opp. A standard raise for them is to 3X my bet. If these stat numbers on the opp are accurate (which I do not believe at all when I see later what they flip over), then their range is 88+,ATs+,KQs,AKo from pokerstove. When I put my hand and the board into it, I'm only a slight favorite to win the hand at 56%. As deep as I am here, IF the opp is playing this tight, then I'm mucking here.

Honestly, I don't believe the 6/0 number on the opp. To get to where 28s in in their range, they have to be playing 77 VPIP! Another key is how passive they may be. Players that call and call and call.. when they do make a big bet, they almost always have it, so I need to give them credit for having the hand.

The key thing to remember here, is that while QQ is a premium starting hand, even to a junk hand like 28s, it's going to lose 16% of the time. These will happen over and over. All that I can do is to understand this, not let it bother me and make the correct bet sizes on every street. If I make the best decisions while playing a hand... it's all I can do.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 10, 2013, 07:34 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2013
I wish he was a pretty pink (high VPIP), but his numbers were right.
Check it out, or was it just a case of him using image to try and steal blinds that went right? Thanks for the review JWK24.

Old
Thu Oct 10, 2013, 07:42 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBStryp View Post
or was it just a case of him using image to try and steal blinds that went right?
If they were trying to steal the blinds, they should have raised preflop.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com