Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6-Max Overpair Optimal Line

Old
10NL 6-Max Overpair Optimal Line - Fri Oct 11, 2013, 10:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Been a long time guys! Not sure if I took the best line here.

V5: 78/11, AF 0.2 over 28 hands. Flop FCB: 14%(7), Turn FCB: 0%(6), River FCB: 50%(2)
Previously saw him open PF shoving 59bb 33.
Also, he had flat PFR with AA in BB. Called 2 streets cbet as overpair, river donked, called raise

V3: 24/19, AF 2.4 over 1.5k hands. F3B: 36%(38)

V2: 38/23, AF 17 over 68 hands

PF: Saw TAG V3 raise large. I flat OOP to keep V2 in the pot and hope V5 will come along.

Flop: Planned to bet/fold 2 streets and set up an easy river all-in with my overpair.

When V5 called 2 streets, I see 98, 97, T9, J9, A9, 55, 66, 99, 65, 87, 88, 77 in his range, since he's a calling station. Will the King n Ace change the plan about betting 3 streets? Will you check-call or check-fold OTR?

Last edited by TheAwesomeNW; Fri Oct 11, 2013 at 10:06 PM..

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 12:16 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
I would 3bet preflop, since BTN seems to be isolating two limpers and he probably will not be very strong, he makes it kind of big but, i think i still like a 3bet. I dont think JJ its the kind of hand i would like to invite everyone in on a big pot.

As played i like the lead, also the turn bet since he is very likely to be on a draw. However river is a clear check, don't think anything worst will call, his hand looks really like a 9x (that would have a hard time calling) or some busted draws that he can bluff, if he hit a K or A you are value owning yourself because he wont fold, if you check he will be happy to showdown 9x, if he bets you can decide tu bluff catch.

This is a mistake Gareth was asking why in one of his training session where seems that a lot of players like to represent a stronger hand when they have a decent hand, just to avoid getting bluff or exploited, which not many player will do to you at micros.

Last edited by CaRLoS_DZ87; Sat Oct 12, 2013 at 12:22 AM..

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 04:19 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2012
I agree with carlos about 3bet, I don't like playing mw OOP without initiative. as played, you choose passive line PF, your lead OTF means TT-JJ. after V5 call I would check OTT because he's passive and I don't expect him to bet with worse hands and my hand doesn't cost all of my chips. If he check's I bet river if he bets OTT I fold. There are K9 A9 in his hand range also. I think hand is overplayed.

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 09:15 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi TANW,

I kind of agree with the guys about 3betting preflop. I think our hand plays fairly well postflop but not MW and we benefit from isolating the weak players. But I'm not too sure if it should be a 3bet/fold or get it in against the BTN as it seems he does not fold much to 3bets. I'd personally go for a 3bet/fold against the BTN. Yet in this spot I can expect him to be raising wider because of the limpers. As played, this is such a trouble flop with three players in the pot. Could be a bet/fold I think or even perhaps a check/call one street and re-evaluate or even check/fold if there was too much action before us. The thing is, I really want to try to control the size of the pot here. But now that we bet and get called the pot has become huge relative to our stack size. I wouldn't be too worried to get bluffed here too often especially against this villain so maybe even check the turn and look to get thin value on safe rivers against 9x, 88, 77. When we bet the river we are either gonna get a fold or be beat when they call. I think we should be check folding even though we have invested so much in the pot already; that's why I think we need to be taking a pot control line on earlier streets, but I think the main issue was not 3betting preflop.

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 09:47 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
As others have said, 3b pre for reasons stated.

I hope you realize you are turning JJ into a bluff we can barrel the turn and river?

That being said, if you are playing JJ for what it is, check turn and/or river.

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 08:56 PM
(#6)
Since: Mar 2012
Thx all! Yup I agree about 3-betting PF. After flatting, the issue was whether we should get 2 or 3 streets of value. I wanted 3 streets thus overplayed this hand. He called the river with K5o.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com