Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$0.25 NL Hold'em - Two Pair, some re-raising and isolation

Old
$0.25 NL Hold'em - Two Pair, some re-raising and isolation - Sat Oct 12, 2013, 01:20 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
Hi,

This is a hand from a $0.25 NL Hold'em [90 Players] - Level IV (50/100) that I won, but would like some feedback if I was correct in my plays or could have done things differently.

I saw the flop to realize that pre Turn and River I was beating even pocket As, I knew the small stack (Villain 9) was getting desperate and was a fish. When she raised, I put her at a Q pair and then went all in to isolate the other maniac (Villain 8) who would just keep bloating the pot with his cbets wanting to see River.

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 02:14 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Maybe reraise to 1000 on flop and if flat called by villain 8 and reraised all in by villain 9 shove all in.

Its kind of like you price in villain 8 to call and force villain 9 to shove, So if villian 8 is on a drawing hand you can shove to push him out or charge him maximum to draw. And I think he calls also if he has top pair or over pair it would suck if he has 66 or sucks out but atleast your getting your money in good most of the time.

Last edited by pokerstar671; Sat Oct 12, 2013 at 02:25 AM..

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 10:20 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi IBStryp!

With QJs from the button, I get a min-raise, then 2 calls. I have two choices here and would need a read (not provided) to determine which I would do. If the table is stationy, then I will flat and see the flop in position. If some of the opps could fold, then I'll make a standard 3-bet to 950 (pot-sized raise).

I flop top 2 pair and get an abnormally small bet and another abnormally small min-raise. On a wet board, I absolutely need to raise here and the key is the sizing. A standard bet for 2 opps in the pot is 2/3 pot, so I need to raise by at least this much and will size it between 2/3 (1433) and a pot-sized raise (1950)... at 1750. I cannot raise to less than 1433 or the opps can be getting the correct odds to try to outdraw me. If I do so and lose, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

When villain 9 shoves, I need to re-shove to try to isolate the short-stack. I do not want to call and invite the other opp into the pot, especially since they will be getting the correct price to see the turn card with a flush or OESD. I need to re-shove in order to make the opp have a -EV play.

The key here is to bet more on the flop, then if an opp shoves, I need to re-shove to isolate on the flop.. so that the opps can't see a turn/river card that can beat me, without making a -EV play to draw.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 11:14 AM
(#4)
Thanks for yet another review JWK24.

All players with pink VPIP's were maniac calling, raising and re-raising stations, it took me around the first 20 hands to put their VP:PFR and ridiculous play together. I had to fold some strong hands post-flop to them early game thanks to their random sized re-raises on scary flops.

I adjusted and won the SNG, so keep the great advice coming

This tournament stats on villains at the time, int. values:
VPIP/PF/AF
Live BB/Cbet Flop/Fold to F Cbet/Hands abbr.

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 11:26 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerstar671 View Post
Maybe reraise to 1000 on flop and if flat called by villain 8 and reraised all in by villain 9 shove all in.

Its kind of like you price in villain 8 to call and force villain 9 to shove, So if villian 8 is on a drawing hand you can shove to push him out or charge him maximum to draw. And I think he calls also if he has top pair or over pair it would suck if he has 66 or sucks out but atleast your getting your money in good most of the time.
That sounds spot on, thank you.

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 01:43 PM
(#6)
A standard bet for 2 opps in the pot is 2/3 pot, so I need to raise by at least this much and will size it between 2/3 (1433) and a pot-sized raise (1950)... at 1750

I was wondering about the sizing part because I dont know if well be able to reraise all in or have to just call. Thats something im still learning about also. Because sometimes you go reraise someone calls and then the other guy goes all in but we cant reraise anymore because of something that i still done know what it is and we can only call behind.

So if we bet 1433 1950 will we still be allowed to go all in after him if he goes all in?

Last edited by pokerstar671; Sat Oct 12, 2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 04:15 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
In order to be able to re-raise, the next bet must be a legal raise (at least the amount of the prior raise). If it's lower, then all we can do is call or fold.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 05:25 PM
(#8)
Ahh I see that stuff always confuses me thank you jwk

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com