Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Why do we get punished for busting out early?

Old
Why do we get punished for busting out early? - Sat Oct 12, 2013, 01:58 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Why do league games take away points for busting out early?

Why not just take away the same standard amount of points for an early finish before in the money instead of what place you finish in?

Its kind of like the points you lose is your buy in. And the points you gain is based on what place you finish in the money. Like a regular tournament.

I dont know if this makes sense but I think it would be better.

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 05:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2013
I think the points system makes a lot of sense.
In real money tournaments with thousands of participants and top-heavy prize structure the variance is enormous, so you have to play tens of thousands of games (probably even a lot more) for you ROI to approach your true ROI.

As the purpose of this system is to rank players something much better is needed.
One way to reduce variance is to make the prizes much less top-heavy and with continuous scale.

Think of the league games as if they have no bubble (or bubble is first player out)

now, why start at -20 instead at 0? there are at least 2 reasons for this:
keep the average score relatively stable. it stays near 1500 the whole month.
even the playing field a bit between those who can play every game and those who only have opportunity to play a few each week.

This is not perfect of course but the idea is good.

I think the only thing needed is a reasonable cap on the number of games one is allowed to play each month.

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 07:19 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
You know all those crazy players that shove all in with junk on the first few hands? Their "punishment" for doing so is a loss of points.
The league games have a radical structure, which takes some getting used to for sure, but it's designed to get you in the habit of being patient and disciplined, as those are skills necessary for long-term winning players. Busting out of a tournament early on is something you should avoid doing. Taking points away from you seems like a pretty good idea of getting the message across, in my opinion.
It's kind of strange that the OSL has so much crazy play, when the structure of the league actually discourages it, but I suppose many freerollers either don't understand the strategy, or don't care.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 07:52 AM
(#4)
I understand the importance of having patience and all that but I dont think you should be punished for getting a bad beat when making the correct play.

In a regular tournament you only lose your buy in. In the open league you can lose points youve earned playing solid for a week pretty quick after a bad run of games.

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 08:36 AM
(#5)
look at it this way: the buy-in is 20 points (or whatever it is you lose by going out first) and everyone except first one out get a prize. mincash is low but increases steadily the further you get.

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 08:41 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2012
If there was no minus points from early bust outs, these would be complete shoving early when everyone wanna make huge stack without risk of minus points. I think this structure is perfect for these leagues.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 09:59 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn_akka View Post
If there was no minus points from early bust outs, these would be complete shoving early when everyone wanna make huge stack without risk of minus points.
+1000000

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 11:20 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerstar671 View Post
I understand the importance of having patience and all that but I dont think you should be punished for getting a bad beat when making the correct play.

In a regular tournament you only lose your buy in. In the open league you can lose points youve earned playing solid for a week pretty quick after a bad run of games.
or you can do what some ppl do.sign up sit out all month and still make it to premier league

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 12:39 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
I see it really difficult for you to lose a lot of point if your playing the right way. I know it can happened, but it shouldn't happen as often as to make a big difference in your score.

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 09:58 PM
(#10)
Since: May 2013
After learning the best way to avoid being busted early in the PSOSL, i now managed to stay on the prize money rankings off 2000 players.

My own strategy is...
In 7500+ players, i play super super tight..choosing only the best hands i have..hands that would possible win the pot (also base on my instinct of course) in order to survive and reach the exact 2000 players remaining even having the most limited chips already..,Or simply just sit out often..,anyway ante still small like 20-100..
With this kind of technique, you have the chance of not losing any points even got busted and there might be 60% possibility of adding more chips in your stack by winning a good hand.

It could also be applied to 10000 players

Try it!!!

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 01:40 PM
(#11)
Ok thanks for the tips

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com