Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

shall i start my training with head up only ?

Old
shall i start my training with head up only ? - Sat Oct 12, 2013, 02:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
Hello,

I'm studying a lot but don't playing that much lately, and i was wondering if i should practice only head up first, i thought that it may be a goood idea as in tournament it will often lead to this kind of situation.

and when playing headup, are the starting hands the same than those that should be played when UTG with several players at the table ?

i'm looking forward to your replies

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 02:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2013
heads-up you should be playing a vastly wider range than UTG with many players.
you should go into maniac mode, really, until villain starts to play back.

Old
Sat Oct 12, 2013, 06:20 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
My opinion would be this is a bad idea if you plan on playing MTTs or even STTs as your regular game. While it's good to have a decent heads up game the majority of your tournaments won't end in you getting heads up. I think it would probably be a much better use of your time to study playing what your regular game is starting with early stage play, then middle stage play then late stage play. It's more important to practice getting into good spots before practicing what to do when you get there.

As for your question about hand ranges of HU, when you get HU you should be opening massively wider then you would UTG in a regular game. Depending on my opponent I will open between 80-100% of hands on the button when heads up. Couldn't be more different from my UTG range in a full ring table.

If you do wish to spend some of your time studying heads up I suggest searching for HU videos using the advanced search function in the video library. I really recommend watching some of Andre's classes too, they really helped me.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
HUs To start ? - Tue Oct 15, 2013, 08:40 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2011
Do you mean HUs within a FR or 6 amx hand when you say HeadsUp ,you must because the chances of you makin g it to HUs ie final two players of a MTT or lagre SNG are remote,
So lets assume you mean all other hands have folded in a reg game and you are one of last two in hand.In this case you are HUs up but you must remember t5hat some cards have been dealt to those that have folded ie some outs possibly so your odds are not the same as a true HUs hand.
While it is important to have a strong HUs game when you do FT a mtt/sng it is much more important to learn early and middle play as this is where most of your time on the table will be sent.So my advice is play mtts or if limited play multi table sngs or even single table sngs.I think your best playing full ring until you get a grasp of hand value and the power of position play .Then maybe try 6 max to see if you like the play.
But NO just playing HUs in not a good idea unless that is your preferred game and you intend to grind true HUs.
Goodluck

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 16, 2013, 09:30 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syldsp View Post
I'm studying a lot but don't playing that much lately, and i was wondering if i should practice only head up first, i thought that it may be a goood idea as in tournament it will often lead to this kind of situation.

and when playing headup, are the starting hands the same than those that should be played when UTG with several players at the table ?
The short answer to these points is:
You won't get heads up "often" at all. 6000 people enter the WSOP Main Event. Only 2 of them get heads up, after all. It would be a mistake to train for the Main Event by playing heads up. In a single table SitnGo, you'll get heads up much more often, but you've got to get in the money first. The vast majority of the hands you play will be with multiple players dealt in, allowing you to be more selective with the hands you play.

The greater the number of players dealt in, the tighter the range of hands you should play. You don't need to play many hands, because you won't have to play the blinds very often. When play becomes short handed, you have to pay the blinds more often (or even every hand, when heads up), so you have to start playing more hands, in order to recover the money you lost in the blinds. That means your ranges become much wider.

In short, UTG in full ring game, you'll probably play less than 10% of the hands you're dealt. Heads up, you'll play 90% or more.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com