Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

3-bet Defending OTB

Old
3-bet Defending OTB - Sat Oct 12, 2013, 05:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi all,

I have been doing some major studying today on how I should go about defending on the button. Some of you may already know that I am actually losing money OTB (excluding the blinds) - the most profitable position on the table. I have been making money overall, but once I have plugged this leak, I shall be making even more money. Here goes on what I have learnt so far, and I hope I am on the right track. I also hope the newbies out there gain invaluable info from this as well. Some of the stuff that proceeds this has been taken from other people's posts - so thank you and I hope you don't mind me repeating what you guys have already told me. Please feel free to add anything.

Things to consider when deciding to 3-bet defend on the button (Full Ring)

-late position openers (villains) will tend to be opening with a wider range than they would do when they open from early position.
-Since we will have position, we need to play aggressively, keeping the villains Out-of-position (OOP) under pressure.
-When our 3-bet is called we will generally need to keep applying pressure by making a flop continuation bet, maybe also a turn continuation bet (keep applying the pressure on villain).
- TAGs and nits (tight players) - 3bet with a tighter range.
-Loose players - 3bet with a wider range than you would with a tight player.

3-bet fold stat

If an opponent has a 3-bet fold stat of > (greater than) 67% then we can pretty much 3bet with any two cards and we should see a profit (3bet sizing being 9bb)

If an opponent has a low fold to 3-bet stat then depending on villain type we should 3-bet for value and not as a bluff. For example, a loose player VPIP/PFR 40/18 opens in the Cut-Off (CO) and has a low fold to 3-bet stat, then 3bet for value with top broadway hands not as a bluff.

Against nits/TAGS or any villain that has a standard 3bet fold stat of around 50% or higher, we can also 3-bet bluff with Axs, Kxs blockers.

Let me know if there is anything that I should change above. I wasn't too sure about the 3bet with AQ, AJ, etc against TAGS/nits when they open from the CO with a wide range.

Cheers,

Pullin1988

Last edited by pullin1988; Sat Oct 19, 2013 at 04:32 PM..

Old
Fri Oct 18, 2013, 05:47 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
Hey, Pullin1988. I agree with everything except this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin1988 View Post
Against nits/TAGs opening from the CO, possibly the HJ, that has a low fold to a 3bet stat then we should 3bet with hands that we believe we can get value from worse hands. 3bet with hands like AQ, AJ, KQ, etc, but typically fold these hands when facing a 4-bet (when villain's range is QQ+, AK).

If we 3bet AQ, AJ, KQ for value are we really expecting call from something like KJ,QJ,AT etc..?
Maybe it's better to call with that range and keep dominated hands in the pot.

Last edited by morduk666; Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 05:51 PM..

Old
Sat Oct 19, 2013, 04:28 PM
(#3)
Hi Morduk666,

I totally agree with you on this. Thanks for taking the time to read this. How's the poker thin going for you? What stakes do you play at?

Cheers,

Pullin

Old
Sat Oct 19, 2013, 04:30 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin1988 View Post
Hi Morduk666,

I totally agree with you on this. Thanks for taking the time to read this. How's the poker thin going for you? What stakes do you play at?

Cheers,

Pullin
I will take this section out. For anybody that reads it.

Pullin

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com