Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Big Bang - Flopped a straight, should i check the flop?

Old
Big Bang - Flopped a straight, should i check the flop? - Sun Oct 13, 2013, 03:02 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hand...952_61682523B2

It's quite early on and my table generally is very tight and nitty. I 2.2 x it close to UTG with KQ off, and I expect everyone to fold, or one caller from the BB.

Villain is tight and has won some big pots with good cards.

I flopped a straight on a board which did have a flush draw.

In this instance, I checked this in the hope of disguising the strength of my hand, even though it's not the dryest of boards.

Later on fullhouses completed as well as flushes, and I still felt I was good, and nearly doubled through when he hit trips on the turn, but I came away feeling I could have played the hand better.

What do we think?

Last edited by Rob Sharona; Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 06:05 AM..

Old
Sun Oct 13, 2013, 03:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2013
personally, I would never check behind this flop, unless I have definite reads that villain would try to take the pot very wide if I show weakness.

I would cbet this flop 100% regardless of my hand.

Old
Sun Oct 13, 2013, 06:04 AM
(#3)
Cheers, and well done for final tabling sir!!

Old
Sun Oct 13, 2013, 08:35 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2011
Hey Rob, congrats on deep run.

With 19bb I am probably folding KQo from this position early, altho if you expect nitty table to give you respect, the open cant be bad. I am looking to pile money in on this flop as 9x, Tx, Jx, Qx are in villains range a lot, and versus villains hand and quite a few others we may well be able to get it all in on flop, which is a good result. I would only be checking back a flop if I think I am miles ahead and need villain to catch up a bit. The problem here is that villain could have overtaken you on that turn and other turn cards, eg diamonds.

Old
Sun Oct 13, 2013, 01:11 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2013
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess Awe View Post

With 19bb I am probably folding KQo from this position early, altho if you expect nitty table to give you respect, the open cant be bad. I am looking to pile money in on this flop as 9x, Tx, Jx, Qx are in villains range a lot, and versus villains hand and quite a few others we may well be able to get it all in on flop, which is a good result. I would only be checking back a flop if I think I am miles ahead and need villain to catch up a bit. The problem here is that villain could have overtaken you on that turn and other turn cards, eg diamonds.
My thoughts as will, if villain has a jack he may be willing to go all in on the flop or turn here, so I would of cbet the flop here with the plan to shove if he raise's, the turn is a scare card because JT is in his range but he may of bet or check raised with two pair on the flop so I'll still go with the hand and with only 15bb left behind on the turn you have to be willing to get it all in if you're still going to play the hand because if you just call him if he 1/2 pots on the turn and river you'll only have about 7bb left and if he does has the JT then your in bad shape.
When he bets the turn I would off just shoved over the top, and if he wants to call with the worse hand then it's his mistake here, if he out draws me with the flush or does have JT then thats poker for you, But I wouldn't have played that hand UTG+1 anyway.
I'll be interested in what the analysis have to say
all the best

Old
Sun Oct 13, 2013, 02:12 PM
(#6)
Just to clarify, I wouldn't normally raise from UTG +1 with such a weak holding, but I was picking up so much dead money. No one was doing anything at all on this table!

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 08:12 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess Awe View Post

I think profess awe's analysis is spot on but I would like to add that there are 6 players behind us with less than 20 big blinds so when we raise the QK from early position it's very likely that one of these stacks will raise us all in and in most cases we will have to fold the hand.

Post flop we should bet, this board is super wet and hits villain range a lot, there will be plenty of combo draws and 2 pair hands that he will be happy to get the money in with so bet the flop for sure, shoving the turn would be fine too.

Cheers, Chris

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com