Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

89s 10nl in CO facing raise from HJ

Old
89s 10nl in CO facing raise from HJ - Sun Oct 13, 2013, 07:37 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Ok, the second and last of my hands that are probably totally standard but I want some reassurance on.

Dealt 89s in the CO and it folds to the HJ who is an aggressive reg that I have been battling with a little bit. He raises, no-one behind me appears to be aggressive at all but I have limited information on them, although the button has VPIP'd 6/12 hands never betting or raising, so I feel confident that I can call and will be able to see a flop.

I flop what I think is the best hand and bet out when the original raiser declines to cbet and the button calls. The other two go away.

Turn is a blank I think and doesnt bring sole club hands in, at this stage I want to get the money in as soon as possible, if the button is willing to give action.

I think I maybe could have made the turn bet a little bigger? I think I get called by big one club hands chasing their nut flush.

Button elects to come over the top of my turn bet and I pretty much snap call.

So, on this hand I am looking to check if my bet sizing is big enough on the turn?

Insta-call on the turn shove against a perceived loose player? Even though we have little post flop stats for him.

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 06:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi bhoylegend,

Not sure if I like the call in the CO, I personally try to avoid these spots when I have the BTN left to act behind me and could get squeezed by either the BTN or the Blinds. Sometimes I elect to 3bet instead, sometimes I just fold them. I don't think calling is too bad if we have weak players behind us though.

I actually think your bet sizings are good here, maybe a bit big OTF but the turn size looks good to me. Gives room for the BTN to shove and we can set them for stacks OTR. Maybe a bit smaller would be okay too. I'm stacking off anyways, if they have a better flush then good for them its just very unlikely that two opponents flop a flush.

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 06:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
I think there's a lot of variations of this scenario that would make me b/f the turn.

These variations include villain being 100bb+ deep, villain being a reg that would be PP heavy, or a flop like KQ7 which would allow the villain to have 2 pair in his range and fill up OTT etc etc

As played, I think it's fine given we called pre. If we know players left behind love flatting a lot and we are guaranteed a MW pot, then I like the call. Otherwise, my default play would be to fold.

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 05:17 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
The reason I called was because I didnt think the two behind would raise. I fully expected them to call and passive. The Big Blind was a reggish looking player and could have squeezed but frankly I was happy just to flat to keep the button in. I felt he was weak. I'd also had a running battle with the original raiser, and looking at all the hands I played with him, I raised him quite a bit, if I raise him again there is a chance he just shoves his better hands on me and I dont get to play with the perceived weak players behind with what is a playable hand multi-way.

I'm playing more SC hands at the minute so sorry if some of these hands are either straightforward or just look fishy/weak.

I actually felt this hand was pretty decently played given my perceptions of the other players.

Thanks Geo for the analysis on both hands, the KJ hand is definitely noted, and I will note the comments on the betsizing on this hand.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com