Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Bankroll Builder

Old
[JK] Bankroll Builder - Mon Oct 14, 2013, 11:21 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Hello!

I want to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.

BR
Bluzons

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 05:11 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello bluzons,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After watching this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 15, 2013, 11:42 AM
(#4)

Old
Tue Oct 15, 2013, 11:47 AM
(#5)
Hi, I have completed all 3 steps.

Old
Tue Oct 15, 2013, 02:26 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi bluzons!

The first thing I see with this hand is before it even starts. When playing a ring table, I always wait for the BB to start playing. Paying extra blinds over and over is a HUGE drain to a player's bankroll and an easy way to lose it.

With a bad hand (K7o), I get a limp (the post), then an abnormally large raise to 10 (std raise is to 3BB+1BB for each limper) and a call of it. With a very bad hand, I need to immediately muck. I do not want to be putting chips into pots when I'm most likely behind. I want my chips to go in when I'm ahead.

Patience is a very large key in poker and I need to use this patience to wait for the right situation, one where I expect to gain chips.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 15, 2013, 02:29 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 16, 2013, 01:57 PM
(#8)

Old
Wed Oct 16, 2013, 04:45 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi bluzons! I'll analyse the hand in post #8.

You ultimately got a nice result with this hand, but there are some ways to improve your play, and it begins pre-flop. T2s might well have won two world championships for Doyle Brunson, but this is a really terrible hand on a full ring table. It doesn't have much high card value, can't make a straight using both cards, and only makes 10-high flushes, which are easily beaten by better ones. For those reasons, you should fold pre-flop. This hand just doesn't win often enough to make it profitable. With any hand that is good enough to play, you should enter the pot with a standard raise of 3bb. Just limping in (calling the 2c blind) is a weak play that doesn't give you an immediate chance to win the pot. With strong hands, you want to start putting pressure on your opponents. With weak hands, you should fold.
As played, you limp in and see a flop in position against the blinds. The big blind makes a large bet of 10c into 6c on the AJ4 flop. You have a flush draw, but it's only a draw to the 4th nuts, and this overbet means you're not getting the right immediate price. That said, if the opponent has flopped a monster, you could win his whole stack if you make a flush against his two pairs or a set. I think I'd just fold though. The pot could quickly get very big with this action, and a ten high flush is not something you can feel great about when you hit it. As luck would have it, you turn the flush, and villain bets again, but this time half pot. I would definitely raise for value here, looking to get called by sets and two pairs. Your raise size is too small though. Steer clear of minraises if possible. Use the bet-slider to make it 2.5 or 3 times the size of villain's bet. This will get value when you're ahead and make it a mistake for him to call with a draw. Villain calls, and the river is a 5. This is quite a bad card, because any flopped set (44, most likely, since villain didn't raise pre) just made a full house. When villain checks, I definitely like making a value bet, and my plan is to bet-fold, meaning if villain comes back with a raise, I should fold, because he can beat a ten-high flush. Again your sizing is too small. I'd go with at least 1/3 of pot on the river, but often as much as half pot. I want hands like A4 and AT to call and pay me off. If you don't get max value when you make a hand like a flush, then don't play suited hands in the first place, because they won't make flushes very often. Villain's hand isn't shown, because he called and lost, but whatever it was might have looked you up for 30c or more, so I think you missed value by betting so small on the river.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 04:49 PM..

Old
Wed Oct 16, 2013, 06:17 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Please let me know when you have finished the other two steps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 18, 2013, 03:48 AM
(#11)
Hello. I have finished steps 1 and 3. But can't find questions for step2. I have answered to questions from video tutorial "Bet Sizing". That is correct or not?

Good luck!

Old
Fri Oct 18, 2013, 07:50 AM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?
This is what you must answer (they are in the video).

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 18, 2013, 09:32 AM
(#13)
Players may want to make big bets:

1. To bluff people off decent hands;
2. To put a lot of pressure on opponents;
3. To gain value from very strong hand;
4. To protect against strong draws.

Old
Sat Oct 19, 2013, 12:57 PM
(#14)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello bluzons,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 20, 2013, 08:36 AM
(#15)

Old
Sun Oct 20, 2013, 11:45 AM
(#16)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzons View Post
Hi bluzons!

With K7s you are best off just folding preflop. It looks like a good spot but ask yourself what are you hoping to flop? If you flop a 7 you will rarely have top pair. You wont be able to flop a strong straight draw. You might flop a flush draw, but you will not be drawing to the nuts unless the A of clubs is on the board. Finally, if you flop a K, you run a very real risk of encountering a villain with a K and a better kicker. Thus there aren't many flops that we can bet with confidence on.

As played, you flop top pair, weak kicker on a very wet board. All of the cards fit well with the ranges of the opponents. There are many one pair, two pair and straight draw combos possible. You might be able to call a bet in position on the flop, but raising is dangerous. When the board pairs on the turn you need to be very carefull since trips and full houses are now possible. Again, just call the tiny bet rather than raising. Firstly, you do have showdonwn value with your hand. Secondly, the raise is so tiny compared to the pot that it achieves nothing. It doesnt not gain you maximum value if you believe you are ahead. It doesn't protect your hand by giving drawing hands poor odds. Nor is it large enough to be a semi-bluff getting an opponent to fold. Any time we bet or raise, we should be doing so for a sepcific reason.

On the river, the board pairs again and the villain makes a pot sized bet. This will rarely be a bluff. Both the 9 and 10 are in the villain's range. Don't pay off the villain in the spots. You have top pair weak kicker on a board where straights and full houses are likely. Folding would be best here.

GL and have fun at the tables|

Roland GTX

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 12:17 PM
(#17)

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 01:49 PM
(#18)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi bluzons,

Good fold OTF imo. With the dummy end of the straight and the little equity we have in the hand we are better off folding our hand when we don't hit a set. If we were Heads up, raising the flop could be a good option depending on our opponent type but since villain bet into two opponents on a coordinated board and there is one player left to act behind us, folding is the better option I think.

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 02:31 PM
(#19)

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 04:13 PM
(#20)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again bluzons! I'll analyse the hand in post #19.

This is a blind vs blind battle, which can create a strange dynamic, because ranges are widest here and no one gives you credit for a real hand. The villain in the SB makes a standard open and he can do this with a wide range. You woke up with AK, which is is likely to be ahead of your opponent's hand, so raising for value is good. Your sizing is not so great, however. You just clicked it back with a minraise to 10c, when it's better to multiply the open by three to deny the opponent a bargain price to call. He calls the minraise and the flop is very wet and co-ordinated; the kind of board that connects well with middling cards, which are exactly the sort of thing someone would raise in a blinds battle. Nevertheless, as the last player to raise pre-flop, you should fire a continuation bet. The villain should fold overcards like KJ, and underpairs like 44, but - like I said - the BvB situation means villains won't give you credit for a made hand and will stick around. The queen on the turn is quite a good card for you, as it will scare smaller pairs, but it could also have improved your opponent's hand. You still have two overcards and now have a gutshot to the nuts too, so you have as many as 10 outs if you're currently behind. I think both betting (to take down the pot) and checking behind (to see if you can improve for free) are both viable options. A bet of half pot would be better than 16c into 37c, as you'd like hands like JT or A7 to fold, but they won't fold for such a small bet. I recommend betting bigger or not at all. The river is a terrible card for you. It completes the flush draw, and also pairs the flop's top card. There's no way a villain is folding a flush or a ten, and he probably won't fold any pair, to be honest. It would be a mistake to make this a three-barrel bluff, so I like your check behind. When a bluff has little chance of succeeding it's best to just give up and save yourself some money. The villain actually got pretty lucky here. He only ever had 3 outs to beat you with his dominated hand, and he hit the queen on the turn after making a questionable call on the flop. I think you played this OK post-flop, but just need to be more precise in your bet-sizes in future.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com