Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

AK - 0.50$ 45 man sng

Old
Question
AK - 0.50$ 45 man sng - Mon Oct 14, 2013, 11:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...170_54BD5B8E0F

Early stages, not so much information, player 3 played somewhat loose the first hands.

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 01:29 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Looks like you played this fine.
I dont know if your stack is to big to go all in preflop but sometimes I just go all in preflop in those turbos when 2 people limp and I got like 25bbs probably bad not really sure tho.
Im just thinking it could be better since when you raise you have to put in a good amount of your stack and since the one of the limpers is short he might limp call an all in with worse or your probably gunna flip with him.
I think by just pushing you can get people to fold and have a heads up pot with a good hand instead of possibly having a multiway pot with alot of your stack already into the pot.
As played I would have just put it all in when you reraise the short stack on the flop. Just unlucky he flopped two pairs.

Last edited by pokerstar671; Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 01:43 PM..

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 02:54 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi kykkylik!

With AK, I get 2 limpers in front of me. I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper or 250 chips. I want to keep all of my raises standard, so that it helps to conceal the strength of my hand. Also, with multiple opps already showing interest in the pot, I do not want to bet less than this, or I can be giving the opps the correct odds to be in the pot (something that I want to avoid doing whenever possible).

I flop TPTK and an opp leads into me for an abnormally small bet of 250 (standard bet with 2 opps in the pot is 2/3 pot). Since there are draws available to both opps (straight and flush), I need to raise here. Since the standard bet to price out an opp from drawing is 2/3 pot, I need to raise by 2/3 pot (917 chips).. BUT.. this bet pot-commits me, which means that if I make it, I cannot ever fold. Due to this, I need to shove the flop.

These beats will happen and we definitely want the guy in the pot with us preflop, with a dominated hand. However, they will win about 3 in 11 times. The key is to make the correct bets/raises and make the best decisions possible and one is to make standard raises, not smaller ones than standard that can price in opponents.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. pokerstar671, I only want to shove preflop when I'm pot-committed. A standard raise here is not even close to pot-committing me, so that's not an option.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 03:28 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi kykkylik!

With AK, I get 2 limpers in front of me. I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper or 250 chips. I want to keep all of my raises standard, so that it helps to conceal the strength of my hand. Also, with multiple opps already showing interest in the pot, I do not want to bet less than this, or I can be giving the opps the correct odds to be in the pot (something that I want to avoid doing whenever possible).

I flop TPTK and an opp leads into me for an abnormally small bet of 250 (standard bet with 2 opps in the pot is 2/3 pot). Since there are draws available to both opps (straight and flush), I need to raise here. Since the standard bet to price out an opp from drawing is 2/3 pot, I need to raise by 2/3 pot (917 chips).. BUT.. this bet pot-commits me, which means that if I make it, I cannot ever fold. Due to this, I need to shove the flop.

These beats will happen and we definitely want the guy in the pot with us preflop, with a dominated hand. However, they will win about 3 in 11 times. The key is to make the correct bets/raises and make the best decisions possible and one is to make standard raises, not smaller ones than standard that can price in opponents.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. pokerstar671, I only want to shove preflop when I'm pot-committed. A standard raise here is not even close to pot-committing me, so that's not an option.
Ahh ok ty wasnt sure

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com