Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll builder

Old
Bankroll builder - Wed Oct 16, 2013, 04:44 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion.

Thank You

Old
Wed Oct 16, 2013, 06:15 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 16, 2013, 08:59 PM
(#3)
Hi PokerPauleNL,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Bank Roll Builder Session Feedback - Thu Oct 17, 2013, 12:09 PM
(#4)
Hi PokerSchoolOnline Team,

i have an interesting hand that i would like to discuss in the context of the bankroll builder promotion. In the hand shown below, i openraise from the button after a limper. not many players at the table at the moment, so i thought playing this hand a bit more agressive as compared to a full ring. the limper minraises, so i call and so do the others. i miss the flop but everyone checks, so i bet half pot. only SB calls, preflop agressor out. i get flush draw, decide to continue betting half pot, get called. make flush on river, go all in for about 2/3 pot.

Question 1: open raise reasonable?
Question 2: 3bet call reasonable?
Question 3: c-bet reasonable?
Question 4: semi-bluff on turn good?
Question 5: overbet on river?

Cheers
PokerPauleNL

Old
All 3 steps completed - Thu Oct 17, 2013, 12:12 PM
(#5)

i have passed the quiz and hence completed all three steps of the first promotion.

Cheers
PokerPauleNL

Old
Thu Oct 17, 2013, 08:26 PM
(#6)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 17, 2013, 10:11 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi PokerPauleNL! I'll analyse the play money hand in post #4, but first I want to say that it's great to see you're thking a lot and asking questions about your play. We like to see keen learners on PSO.

It's good that you recognise that you should be more aggressive when the table is short-handed, but I would recommend you look for fuller tables (or add your name to a waiting list for one). When building a bankroll and learning the basics of the game, I think it's better to be patient and do a lot of folding and watching (and note-taking), instead of getting involved with sub-standard hands that are much tougher to play. That said, I think raising A3s on the button is fine. The limper actually posted his blind out of turn, so he can literally have any two cards, so A3s is usually ahead, and raising can isolate him, as it makes it tougher for the blinds to also come along. The limp-minraise is a bit concerning. Bad players often do this with this monsters (KK/AA) but they also show up with random junk too. I think your call in position is fine, as this pot is likely to be multiway, and A3s can flop strong combo-draws. I wouldn't go crazy if you just hit an ace, however, as your kicker is useless.
As played, the flop comes a dry 972 rainbow. You can't make a continuation bet, because the last player to raise wasn't you. It was the limp-reraiser. His lack of a c-bet is suspicious, as this flop would be a standard one to c-bet if he had a big pair. Although the flop is pretty dry, with only two open-ended straight draws on offer (T8, 86) I'd usually check behind when it's a multiway pot. It seems likely that someone has a piece of the flop, or at least an underpair. Since you only have ace high, you can keep the pot relatively small by checking and seeing what develops. If you'd been heads up as the pre-flop raiser, then c-betting would be more standard. As played, your half pot bet gets one caller, and this usually means you're behind. The turn is a very interesting card, as it gives you the nut flush draw, but also pairs the board, so villain could have made trips or even a full house. Paired boards also mean a villain won't give you credit for much. If he has a 9, this 7 doesn't scare him, so he won't be folding top pair. Instead of betting as a semi-bluff, I would check back and take a free card. A semi-bluff only makes sense if a villain will fold to your bet sometimes, but this villain won't fold a 7 ever, a 9 almost never, and he'll probably cling to a smaller pair too. At least you chose a good bet-size on the turn, so you're not charging yourself too high a price to hit the flush, but are still building a nice pot for the times you get lucky and hit it.
You make the flush on the river, which is great, but the Q isn't a particularly great card if you want value. If villain just has a 9, he hates this overcard. He won't like the flush completing very much either, so I'd often go with a smaller bet, to try and induce a "crying call". That said, the pot is now larger than your stack, so going all in makes sense. A true overbet of more than the size of the pot would be a mistake. If you make big bets, then worse hands will fold, and only better ones will give you action. Although you have the nut flush, you still have to be concerned with boats. Don't valueown yourself by betting too big unless you have the absolute nuts and you suspect villain also has a very strong hand. If villain is likely to be much weaker, then a smaller value bet makes sense.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your poker education and the next stage of the promotion!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM..

Old
Thu Oct 17, 2013, 11:59 PM
(#8)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks completed and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Bank Roll Builder Session Feedback II - Sun Oct 20, 2013, 12:38 PM
(#9)

i have an interesting hand that i would like to discuss in the context of the bankroll builder promotion part II.

in this hand i was in the big blind with small suited connectors and got to see the flop for free. along with me was one limper in the buttong and the small blind. i hit bottom pair but nothing much exciting. on the flop everyone checks. now that everyone showed weakness, should i have betted the turn?

Cheers
PokerPauleNL

Old
second step of promotion challange part II - Sun Oct 20, 2013, 12:43 PM
(#10)

three possible reasons to make a big bet according to the bet sizing video are:
1) to get value from very strong hands
2) bluff other players of decent hands
3) to protect your hand against strong draws

Cheers
PokerPauleNL

Old
Promotion Part II - All three steps completed - Sun Oct 20, 2013, 12:44 PM
(#11)

i have passed the cash game quiz and hence completed all three steps of the second part of the promotion.

Cheers
PokerPauleNL

Old
All tasks completed - Mon Oct 21, 2013, 05:26 PM
(#12)
Did I miss something?

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 11:20 AM
(#13)
Hi PokerPauleNL,

Please pardon the delay.

Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 06:01 AM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi PokerPauleNL,

Usually when I am in a limped pot and we hit a part of the board I tend to bet to take down the pot OTF. But this flop is not a good one with bottom pair as our hand is vulnerable on later streets and we have little chance on improving so I like the flop check and I would be ready to give up the hand. The turn is not a good one though because it's an overcard. Sometimes it would make sense to bet a turn that is lower than the flop. Say we hold middle pair with A7 on a dry flop: 7 4 J and it got checked through and the turn is a 2 we can now bet as we might get called by a worse 7x hand, or . With that said, I think this hand was played well.

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 10:07 AM
(#15)
Hi PokerPauleNL,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Target of 10 vvps reached - Fri Nov 01, 2013, 08:26 AM
(#16)

i believe i have reached the target of 10vpp. i have about 13 fpp and i thinkt the conversion rate is 1-1. the only thing i am not sure about is how much i had when the second promotion was granted. but i believe it was less then 2. Please check.

Cheers
PokerPauleNL

Old
How to get the last part of the promotion? - Sat Nov 02, 2013, 06:16 AM
(#17)

thank you for the third part of the Promotion. What do i have to do to get the last part?

Cheers
PokerPauleNL

Old
Tue Nov 05, 2013, 09:32 AM
(#18)
Congratulations!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the hand analysis forums in the Poker Education section. Also, it is a good idea to review some of the content on Bankroll Management at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com