Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Help with the 4 and 2 Rule!

Old
Help with the 4 and 2 Rule! - Wed Oct 16, 2013, 10:42 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2012
I have a problem understanding when to continue on a hand, when my opponet bets on the turn. what i mean is, i am not quite sure when am i getting the right price to call OTT.
Example:
Lets say that OTF i have a flush draw
that means, by the above Rule, i have a 36%(4X9 outs) or 2.7:1 chance to hit my flush. therefore, i should call my opponets bet if i am getting 2.7:1 or better pot odds
the turn is a blank
now, i have a 18%(2X9 outs) or 5.5:1 chance to hit the flush. how much should i call to see the river? when i am getting 5.5:1 or better pot odds, or when i am getting 2.7:1 or better since i had 36% chance hitting the flush in the first place?
thats the part that confuses me
could anyone help me?

Old
Wed Oct 16, 2013, 11:23 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

Without complicating things with percentages. The odds from flop to turn are the same as turn to river. Your flush draw with 9 (clean) outs on the flop is 4:1 if you miss the turn you still have (roughly) the same odds turn to river.

The difference is when all in on the flop with 2 cards to come your getting 2:1 on your money.

Example:
The pot is $100 and the villain bets $20 so 100+20/20 is 6:1 is a CALL. Turn is a blank and villain bets $50. After calling the flop bet, pot was 140, now +50 for the turn bet so 190/50 is 3.8:1, not quite 4:1 so strictly a FOLD but I would call definitely with an over card.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: Example

Old
Thu Oct 17, 2013, 06:52 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
The "4" part of thr rule is frequently abused. And it only applies when no more betting is possible.

But you need to get odds a bit better that the rule, unless it's an all-in situation. First, your opponent may out draw you. Second you may hit your hand but not be paid off. Third, you frequently need to consider implied odds instead of pot odds so effective stacks come into play.

The way to success in poker is to make better decisions, that is fewer mistakes, minimize your losses and maximize your wins.

Asking good questions, as you have here, is an excellent start.

Good decisions.

Old
Tue Nov 05, 2013, 05:19 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
BronzeStar
i still don't get it...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com