Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Sat Oct 19, 2013, 12:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Hi ppls!
I would definitely like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion.
Who doesn't want free money!

Old
Sat Oct 19, 2013, 06:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 19, 2013, 09:53 PM
(#3)
Hi SilentKKK ,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Am I lucky or what? - Sun Oct 20, 2013, 12:46 PM
(#4)

Just made the first 2 steps, manage to check out the videos, played some hands and now I'm heading to the course...will post again when I pass the course.

Cheers!

Old
Sun Oct 20, 2013, 01:08 PM
(#5)
I'm back, just passed the Poker Basics Course.
What's next guys?

Old
Sun Oct 20, 2013, 05:16 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentKKK View Post

BTW, I do have some questions for you guys, regarding the hand above.
First of all, I've chosen to play this hand because it was a limp-happy table and I was getting a good price to see a flop with this hand.
In other position and with another table dynamics, a more aggressive table for example, I would've definitely folded this hand pre-flop.
Now, since we already have 3 limpers in the pot and the villain from the cut-off just raised the standard raise (for when 3 limpers join the party) and his opening range from middle position to button was almost any 2, and the button called (also a villain who has called very light with some "not so good hands") I decided to flat call just because of the good odds the pot just laid. My only concern was if one of the limpers from early position suddenly thought he could 3bet, then it was probably time for me to fold. But this didn't happen, as expected, and the flop came pretty much was I was hoping for.
I say pretty much because the flop might have just given one of the limpers a bigger straight than mine or some flush draws. I'm not very worried about gut shots right now, at least not until I see the Turn.
I decide to check with the intention to check-raise....because flat calling is not an option here...and now here comes my first question.
Question: Should I be donk-beting here or check-raising is fine? If donk-betting is the solution, why?
Now for the Turn. After check-raising and getting called by one of the early position limpers and the button, on the Turn, with this brick card(cause for my holding it was a brick, right?), should I be shoving or is my bet for value okish?
Now the limper just called but the button shoved...what are your first thoughts? A missed draw (for a bigger straight, flush) or a made hand such as 2 pairs, maybe a set?
Only option here is to call that shove because I'm priced in anyway and with at least the second nuts.
(I'm not counting 6-10 as a hand cause I probably would've got some action on the flop too)
So...any advice for above?
Thanks!
Mikey

Old
Sun Oct 20, 2013, 07:46 PM
(#7)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 03:00 AM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentKKK View Post
BTW, I do have some questions for you guys, regarding the hand above.
First of all, I've chosen to play this hand because it was a limp-happy table and I was getting a good price to see a flop with this hand.
In other position and with another table dynamics, a more aggressive table for example, I would've definitely folded this hand pre-flop.
Now, since we already have 3 limpers in the pot and the villain from the cut-off just raised the standard raise (for when 3 limpers join the party) and his opening range from middle position to button was almost any 2, and the button called (also a villain who has called very light with some "not so good hands") I decided to flat call just because of the good odds the pot just laid. My only concern was if one of the limpers from early position suddenly thought he could 3bet, then it was probably time for me to fold. But this didn't happen, as expected, and the flop came pretty much was I was hoping for.
I say pretty much because the flop might have just given one of the limpers a bigger straight than mine or some flush draws. I'm not very worried about gut shots right now, at least not until I see the Turn.
I decide to check with the intention to check-raise....because flat calling is not an option here...and now here comes my first question.
Question: Should I be donk-beting here or check-raising is fine? If donk-betting is the solution, why?
Now for the Turn. After check-raising and getting called by one of the early position limpers and the button, on the Turn, with this brick card(cause for my holding it was a brick, right?), should I be shoving or is my bet for value okish?
Now the limper just called but the button shoved...what are your first thoughts? A missed draw (for a bigger straight, flush) or a made hand such as 2 pairs, maybe a set?
Only option here is to call that shove because I'm priced in anyway and with at least the second nuts.
(I'm not counting 6-10 as a hand cause I probably would've got some action on the flop too)
So...any advice for above?
Thanks!
Mikey
Hi Mikey!

Thanks for writing up your thoughts in this hand! Having a plan for your hand is an important part of the game. It also lets us better help you

Preflop, I understand your reasoning for calling, but think folding is still better. With 56s calling would be great, or with higher connected cards such as 10Jo. With any hand you are considering playing, ask yourself "what am I hoping to flop?"

If you flop a 5 or a 6 it is unlikely that you have top pair. You will have a weak kicker as well. You need to be very careful not to overplay this type of hand because the villain may have A5 or A6 and out kick you. Furthermore, your cards are not suited so you won't be flopping a strong flush draw. that leaves us with straight draws which are playable. You won't flop an open ended straight draw (or a made straight) often enough to make calling a 5x preflop raise profitable especially when you are out of position in the big blind.

There are so many good spots to play at play money tables and 2NL that it is better to fold these more marginal spots.

As played, you flop a straight which is great. However, you are at the low end and may already be drawing dead. Moreover, there are two clubs on the board making a flush draw possible. I prefer leading out on this flop with a donk bet for a few reasons. Firstly, I want to protect my hand. Anyone chasing a flush is going to have to pay. Secondly, we can expect anyone with an over pair, a set, two pair, a flush draw as well as 10x and Jx (especially A10 and AJ) to stay in the hand here. So, we are getting good value by leading out. I would bet about 70% of the pot. Check-raising can be ok however at play money and 2NL we can't be confident that anyone will bet on such a wet board. We don't want to risk everyone checking behind.

The turn is a good card for you. It doesn't help your hand, but it does help your opponents since anyone holding an A just got top pair. These are hands that opponents tend to overplay and are willing to stack off with (don't make the same mistake yourself...). Note however that a heart flush draw is now possible as well. There are many cards that have the potential to either ruin your hand on the river or shut down the action because they scare the opponents on the river. Therefore it is best to bet the turn while anyone chasing a draw still has hopes of catching a card. If you wait to the river they will often fold if they missed.

Note that there are 143 chips in the pot and you only have 160 chips behind. If you make a standard sized bet of 100 or so chips, you will be left with an insignificant amount on the river. Therefore, it is better here to simply move all in with a slight overbet. You are beating everything except J10 at the moment and it is highly likely that you will get called by at least one of the villains. If you were deeper stacked, then yes your bet size looks good. Although on wet boards like this with two oppoenents, I would often bet pot sized. There are so many hands that will call here that you are beating. This will give you max value in the long run.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Thumbs up
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 10:06 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland GTX View Post
Hi Mikey!

Thanks for writing up your thoughts in this hand! Having a plan for your hand is an important part of the game. It also lets us better help you

Preflop, I understand your reasoning for calling, but think folding is still better. With 56s calling would be great, or with higher connected cards such as 10Jo. With any hand you are considering playing, ask yourself "what am I hoping to flop?"

If you flop a 5 or a 6 it is unlikely that you have top pair. You will have a weak kicker as well. You need to be very careful not to overplay this type of hand because the villain may have A5 or A6 and out kick you. Furthermore, your cards are not suited so you won't be flopping a strong flush draw. that leaves us with straight draws which are playable. You won't flop an open ended straight draw (or a made straight) often enough to make calling a 5x preflop raise profitable especially when you are out of position in the big blind.

There are so many good spots to play at play money tables and 2NL that it is better to fold these more marginal spots.

As played, you flop a straight which is great. However, you are at the low end and may already be drawing dead. Moreover, there are two clubs on the board making a flush draw possible. I prefer leading out on this flop with a donk bet for a few reasons. Firstly, I want to protect my hand. Anyone chasing a flush is going to have to pay. Secondly, we can expect anyone with an over pair, a set, two pair, a flush draw as well as 10x and Jx (especially A10 and AJ) to stay in the hand here. So, we are getting good value by leading out. I would bet about 70% of the pot. Check-raising can be ok however at play money and 2NL we can't be confident that anyone will bet on such a wet board. We don't want to risk everyone checking behind.

The turn is a good card for you. It doesn't help your hand, but it does help your opponents since anyone holding an A just got top pair. These are hands that opponents tend to overplay and are willing to stack off with (don't make the same mistake yourself...). Note however that a heart flush draw is now possible as well. There are many cards that have the potential to either ruin your hand on the river or shut down the action because they scare the opponents on the river. Therefore it is best to bet the turn while anyone chasing a draw still has hopes of catching a card. If you wait to the river they will often fold if they missed.

Note that there are 143 chips in the pot and you only have 160 chips behind. If you make a standard sized bet of 100 or so chips, you will be left with an insignificant amount on the river. Therefore, it is better here to simply move all in with a slight overbet. You are beating everything except J10 at the moment and it is highly likely that you will get called by at least one of the villains. If you were deeper stacked, then yes your bet size looks good. Although on wet boards like this with two oppoenents, I would often bet pot sized. There are so many hands that will call here that you are beating. This will give you max value in the long run.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX
Thanks a lot for the input!
To be honest, it was just a hand that I've played because I was tired of folding every single hand looking for a good hand to post here (as a part of the Bankroll Builder promo thing) so I did not wanted to post a hand where I have Aces and win the pot...I actually wanted to find some spot to get some new info on. Of course I would almost never play such hand in such position after such raise...so many "such" .
This was just a Play money game and it's very difficult to play poker there, you can only play Bingo or Chess perhaps...but not poker.
So, in other words, thanks again for the input and I will definitely post some interesting hands from some real tables.
But the truth is that this hand came kinda spot on because I was thining what will be the best line to be taken for such hand(when you flop a bottom end straight) and it's an interesting thought you shared with me.

Cheers and looking forward for the next step!

Last edited by SilentKKK; Mon Oct 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM..

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 02:11 PM
(#10)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks completed and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Step 2 finished - What's next? - Thu Oct 24, 2013, 04:15 PM
(#11)
Hi HokyPoky,

I've done all 3 things:
1. I've played at a 1/2 cent real money FULL RING table and below I've posted 2 hands which you are free to analyze.
Hand A

Hand B

2. I've answered the question "List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?"
- Bluffing people off decent hands
- Gain value from very strong hands
- To protect against strong draws

3. I've passed the Cash Game quiz

I'm ready for the next step...what's next?

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 09:33 PM
(#12)
Thank you for posting these hands for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at them for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once they've been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 25, 2013, 02:52 PM
(#13)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi SilentKKK! I'll analyse the hands in post #11.

A. QJo is a trouble hand that I generally only use for stealing the blinds when I'm in late position, but the pre-flop action in this hand is quite strange. There's a chain of limpers, which means when the action reaches you in the SB, you have insane pot odds of 11:1 on a call. Calling in the small blind (the worst position post-flop) is something I generally don't recommend, but at this price you'd be crazy to do anything else. The big blind checks, so you see a 6-handed flop. This situation won't happen very often on real money tables, but some things you should know about multiway pots are:
* the hand is very likely to go to showdown.
* the winning hand will usually be very strong, with top two pairs being the minimum you need. Often in spots like this, the winner will make a straight, flush or full house.
With all that said, you shouldn't be particularly happy to build a pot when you just make a pair in this situation. On the Q98 flop, you have top pair and a gutshot straight draw to go with it, which is pretty good. Since everyone limped, you're unlikely to be out-kicked, as hands like AQ and KQ would likely have raised pre-flop. Of more concern are two pairs (98), sets (99, 88) and possibly even a flopped straight with JT. A couple of poker maxims apply here. "In a multiway pot, someone always has a jack" and "Don't go broke in a limped pot without the nuts". Betting out makes sense. On a board like this, you're likely to get called by various pairs and draws. A big bet like yours is good, because it gets value while denying a great price to draws, and it also defines your hand. This means that if you get raised, you have a fairly easy fold, because a raiser would need a monster to come over the top.
As played, you get 2 callers. The 7h on the turn isn't so great for you. It completes a straight for some hands and adds a flush draw to the board. Betting and checking both have merits here. You could bet (planning to fold to a raise) to protect your hand and charge the draws, or you could check for pot-control, as this pot is getting big and your hand is relatively weak. Checking also prevents you getting raised off your hand. You bet and just one player called this time. The river is a great card, as you made a straight. I think you'll be chopping pretty often in this spot (and very occasionally you'll lose to KJ) but you might also get looked up by worse hands like two pairs, especially as the villain is quite short-stacked, so will be pot-committed. You put him all in, which is fine, and it turns out he has the same straight, but should never have made it to the river. With J5, he just had a gutshot on the flop and turn, so was chasing 4 outs the whole way. He made a mistake by calling your bets with no pair and such a weak draw, so you can focus on value-betting hard next time you're in a pot against him.

B. This hand is entirely standard. You raised AQ to 4bb vs the limper and then made a nice continuation bet on the flop. The turn card is not particularly threatening, so you can make another value-bet. It seems the villain gave you credit for an ace after your turn bet, so gave up his hand. Well played.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Oct 25, 2013, 11:03 PM
(#14)
Hi SilentKKK,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Manage to bust like a fool - Sun Oct 27, 2013, 08:40 AM
(#15)
Hi,
As expected, I mdae a fool outta myself with a horrible played hand and of course lost the bonus.
The short story is like this:
The villain has made a habit outta bluffing everyone at the table, with stupid hands, mostly hitting one or two outer on the river...so I thought I should give it a try and play a hand that I don't usually play outta position...but somehow I got stuck and just called on all streets. Pretty stupid of me!
Does this mean I won't get the next bonus?

Hand number 2 is a total crap also...so...all in all I'm pretty ashamed of my game right now.

Last edited by SilentKKK; Sun Oct 27, 2013 at 08:45 AM..

Old
Sun Oct 27, 2013, 10:06 AM
(#16)
Thank you for posting these hands for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at them for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once they've been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 27, 2013, 01:42 PM
(#17)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi SilentKKK,

Hand #1: I generally don't advocate limping into pots, I would either open raise or fold. With JTo from UTG, we should be folding. I understand your intent to play pots with villain 8, but I would rather be in position against them where I can control the pot and play better postflop especially when they are aggressive and bluff happy. Against such an opponent type, I want to play tight OOP and call down with strong hands.

Hand #2: Same goes for this one. With K9s however from the Hijack position we could potentially raise preflop looking to steal the blinds. But given our starting stack, I would fold and look for a better spot to play for value and double up. As played, with TP in a MW limped pot I think it's better to lead out at the flop for value. After we check/called, we can check/call the turn too. No need to be leading out here and bloat the pot with our weak kicker and flush draw.

Old
Thanks for the advice! - Mon Oct 28, 2013, 02:09 AM
(#18)
Thanks for the advice George, everything you said is making a lot sense and is the way I generally think and act. But sometimes due to some major tilting after losing a couple of hands earlier to a donk who only chased a runner runner and hit it...it's difficult to act right.
I might need some tips on how to handle the tilting more correctly just so that I won't find myself in similar spots again.

Cheers and advice much appreciated!

Mikey

Old
Next step? - Tue Oct 29, 2013, 02:56 PM
(#19)
Hey HokyPoky,
Is there a next step or did my adventure ended here?

Thanks,

Mikey

Old
Wed Oct 30, 2013, 02:47 PM
(#20)
Hi SilentKKK,

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you since you have had your losing hands analysed.

Review this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com