Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

KO Festival - How should we play AA here

Old
KO Festival - How should we play AA here - Sun Oct 20, 2013, 01:45 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hand...250_A39F658408

In this hand, I am quite aware I should have folded, and to be fair I was given enough information, but I called because I'm greedy and there was a bounty and I had the chips to call!

I guess my question is when you get a hand like AA, what should be my thought process in this hand to win the maximum or lose the minimum. With a hand like AA, is that even possible ?

Old
Sun Oct 20, 2013, 02:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Rob,

It depends a lot on the player info. If the opponent is solid, I would just call his check-raise in position... if he's making a move we give him more rope and if he's got a monster (67s or a set) we keep the pot under control and minimize our losses.

If the opponent is a poor player who over-values 1 pair hands, then this check-raise range will include many more worse 1 pair hands and it becomes profitable to get the money in. I would reraise big immediately in this case to get A7, 88-TT in before a card comes off that might slow him down.

With no reads, I prefer to just call on this depth of money and take the slower line. If we have the best hand I think he'll check at some point and we can still get a value bet in if appropriate since we have position here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 11:38 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2013
Would shoving all-in with AA folded to us here be a bad idea because we have more than 25BBs? It seems it would've made crap hands like that fold and it is a KO.

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 10:42 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNash View Post
Would shoving all-in with AA folded to us here be a bad idea because we have more than 25BBs? It seems it would've made crap hands like that fold and it is a KO.
Hi Nash,

I think it's a bad idea, yes. We have a 100bb stack, we aren't aiming to end this hand with 101.5bb's, we'll do much better with a standard open raise getting value from worse hands, even though sometimes we'll lose as a result. The stacks behind us range between 72bb's and 28bb's, I doubt anyone is going to call light on these stacks, so shoving loses all value.

It's also not a KO, we have to eliminate someone from the tournament to receive a KO. That is least likely to happen if we shove preflop, since it will cause all but the strongest of hands to fold.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 11:13 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi Nash,

I think it's a bad idea, yes. We have a 100bb stack, we aren't aiming to end this hand with 101.5bb's, we'll do much better with a standard open raise getting value from worse hands, even though sometimes we'll lose as a result. The stacks behind us range between 72bb's and 28bb's, I doubt anyone is going to call light on these stacks, so shoving loses all value.

It's also not a KO, we have to eliminate someone from the tournament to receive a KO. That is least likely to happen if we shove preflop, since it will cause all but the strongest of hands to fold.
Hi!
Thanks for clearing that up.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com