Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

7$ 18 man - Post flop line with overpair on wet flop facing a raise

Old
7$ 18 man - Post flop line with overpair on wet flop facing a raise - Sun Oct 20, 2013, 04:19 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Villain looks kind of fishy playing 55/19 over 22 hands.
With an overpair to the board facing a small raise on a wet flop, how would you proceed?

Against hands like: { 66-22, AcQc, AcJc, Ac9c, Ac8c, Ac7c, Ac6c, Ac3c, A2s, KcQc, KcJc, QcJc, 76s, 54s, 76o, 54o } we have 27% equity which justifies a call given the pot odds however, we can expect a bet on the turn with little room for us to improve.

If we call, how do we plan to proceed on the turn with less than a PSB left? Shoving with 27% equity seems unprofitable, how about a fold, too weak?

Old
Sun Oct 20, 2013, 06:49 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi George,

For me this is just a fold. It's not a small check/raise imo, he's raising just over 3x the bet, and a quarter of his remaining stack, into 2 players. It looks very strong imo. The fact that he's been very loose preflop means it's plausible this flop hits him hard in many ways.

A call is not justified on pot odds, 27% equity is to showdown, but we will not get to see the river without putting our stack in would be a fair assumption. Also the range you've assigned comprises hands against which we have no chance other than running cards, or hands against which we're roughly coin flipping, there's little in his range here we're crushing other than 22 (which I would not include in his range), 66, and 77-99 (which might be fair to include some combos of). If we think we're good often enough we should just put him in on the flop imo, but the strength this action shows on the flop leads me to not like stacking off TT on level 1 of the sng here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 05:30 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Good, what I thought so too Looks like I'm not that bad in tournies so far :p

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com