Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder :)

Old
Bankroll Builder :) - Mon Oct 21, 2013, 05:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Im new to PSO and would like to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.
I haven't deposited yet either.

Last edited by jaykro1971; Mon Oct 21, 2013 at 05:35 AM..

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 06:12 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykro1971 View Post
Im new to PSO and would like to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.
I haven't deposited yet either.
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Please read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 07:15 AM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Hand Replayer for bankroll builder - Tue Oct 22, 2013, 08:34 AM
(#4)

How should I have played this? Should I have folded instead of re-raising, he was an aggressive player i noticed through many hands and was bluffing quite abit. What do you think? Thanks

P.S, i have now finished all 3 steps.

Last edited by jaykro1971; Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 08:42 AM..

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 05:28 PM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 10:42 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi jaykro1971! I'll analyse the hand in post #4.

AQs in late position facing a few limpers is a nice spot to be in. Raising pre-flop is a good idea and you should do it for a few reasons: 1.) Since everyone limped (not raised) you probably have the best hand, so you want to build a pot. 2.) If you seize the initiative, you can often win the pot post-flop even if you miss the flop. 3.) You have more chance of winning the hand if you can thin the field.
So raising is good, but your sizing isn't quite right. To get value and deny villains a good price to see the flop, a standard raise is 3bb + 1bb per limper. With 3 limpers, a raise to 3bb + 3bb = 6bb would be best. Make it 12 chips and you might get heads up. As played, you made it 6, and just about everyone calls. This is a problem, because all kinds of random hands were priced in, and in multiway pots the winning hand will be stronger than usual. You'll probably need trips or better to win.
The flop comes AT5 with a flush draw, which is a good flop for you, as you usually have the best hand and can get value from worse aces and draws. There's 38 in the pot when it's checked to you, and I would make a value bet of about 3/4 pot, again to get value and thin the field. You need to protect your hand from weaker hands that have a chance to draw out. Betting 10 into 38 is too small, as villains will call with random pairs and draws. Two villains call and you see another 5 on the turn. This is a bad card for you, as someone could easily have called on the flop with just a pair of 5s. Nevertheless, you should still bet, because you don't want flush/straight draws to have a free card. The plan here should be to bet-fold, meaning you'll bet for value, but fold to a raise. Think of it like this: When you bet the flop and the turn, you're saying "I have at least top pair". Therefore, if someone raises, it means they can beat top pair.
Before you get the chance to bet, another villain donks into you with a bet of almost the size of the pot. This is scary. It looks like he just made trips. I would sometimes just call here, as this could be a strange semi-bluff with a flush draw, but often I would fold. The absolute worst thing to do is raise. Think about it. If the villain is bluffing, he won't call your raise, so you're not getting any value. If he has a monster (trips+) then you reopen the betting and allow him to re-raise or go all in. We call this "getting valueowned". You made a raise that is never getting called by worse (so you don't get value when you're ahead) and only gets action when you're behind. In other words, you let the opponent play perfectly. He's not giving you any chips when you have the best hand, but you're giving him your whole stack when he has the best hand.
This is a crucial concept to understand. When making a bet or raise for value, only do it when you believe a worse hand can call. If the bet or raise will only get action from better hands, don't make the bet.
The villain in this hand might have been bluffing quite often, but if that's what he's doing here, then the best play is to call, as this will encourage him to bluff again on the river. In this way, you get value from worse hands when you're ahead. When you raise, he knows you have a real hand, so he won't bluff. He'll only get his money in when he can beat you. Trap the bluffers by calling and keeping the pot small. Only build big pots when you have a hand that is close to the nuts.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM..

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 08:58 PM
(#7)
Thanks Arty,

That really opened my eyes as to what I should do next time, great advice and i think it will help me a lot.
I have completed the first three steps.

Thanks,
Jason

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 07:34 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I have completed the first three steps.

Thanks,
Jason
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 09:21 AM
(#9)

Hey,

Firstly, thanks for the first part of the bonus, having a great time playing and already up a few dollars
Can you please analyse this hand for me and tell me if you think I played it well.
My thought process was that considering he only raised 1 blind pre-flop he must not have had strong cards, secondly I flopped top pair with highest kicker. I think i played it well but would like you're opinion especially with the betting sizes i made.

Thanks,
Jason

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 11:25 PM
(#10)
Three reasons why a player may want to make a big bet:
1) To put a lot of pressure on opponents
2) To bluff people off decent hands
3) To gain value from very strong hands

I also studied and passed the Cash Game quiz

Old
Fri Oct 25, 2013, 02:47 AM
(#11)

Could you please analyse this hand as well and let me know how you think I played it and how I should have played it.

Thanks,
Jason

Old
Fri Oct 25, 2013, 03:54 AM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 07:35 AM
(#13)
Quote:

Could you please analyse this hand as well and let me know how you think I played it and how I should have played it.

Thanks,
Jason
Hi jaykro1971!

Completing from the sb with all the limpers is fine preflop with J10o. On the flop you have top two pair which is presumably the best hand at the moment. Moreover, J10x flop connects very well with expected holdings of the villians. This flop is very wet offing straight and flush draws. This means you can bet for value and expect to get called by at least one villain. You sized your bet perfectly We expect to get called, but we still want to bet enough that anyone chasing is getting poor odds to continue. Betting 75% of the pot does this.

The turn is a bad card you for. Now a better two pair is possible and straights are possible. I think checking or betting here can be fine. I would bet more often than I checked since I like to keep the initiative in the hand and would have to call a bet if one were made.

The river is great for you. Now you have a full house which will beat any made straights. This is a decent spot to risk your stack. There are many straights, trips such as A10 etc that will pay you off, plus there is a decent amount of money in the pot. Without a solid read on the villain, I like how you played this hand.

This is a situation that I would file under the "right move, wrong result" category. Don't stress the loss here. You played the hand fine

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 12:34 PM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:

Hey,

Firstly, thanks for the first part of the bonus, having a great time playing and already up a few dollars
Can you please analyse this hand for me and tell me if you think I played it well.
My thought process was that considering he only raised 1 blind pre-flop he must not have had strong cards, secondly I flopped top pair with highest kicker. I think i played it well but would like you're opinion especially with the betting sizes i made.

Thanks,
Jason
Hi Jason,

Against a MP open I think our hand is kind of marginal. I sometimes call, sometimes 3bet, sometimes fold; I think our decision with ATs in this situation is villain dependent. If we do raise for the reasons you mention I like going for a standard 3x. I like your flop sizing but I'm a bit concerned when I get raised on a this board but then again QQ+ might be 4betting us preflop. So this leaves us with Tx kind of hands that they decided to call a 3bet with, sets 66/55 (TT is unlikely given we hold one and the other is on board), and 87. I think I'd call the raise and re-evaluate the turn. Obviously villain played their hand poorly. nh

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 05:17 PM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:

I also studied and passed the Cash Game quiz
Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 10:45 PM
(#16)

Not sure how he was calling and that just sucked!!!
Could i have known not to call or is this just one of those moments you can't control.
Lost the bonus before getting the 10 VPP's

Old
Sun Oct 27, 2013, 04:01 AM
(#17)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 27, 2013, 05:03 PM
(#18)
Quote:

Not sure how he was calling and that just sucked!!!
Could i have known not to call or is this just one of those moments you can't control.
Lost the bonus before getting the 10 VPP's
Hi jaykro1971!

Raising Preflop is correct and your betsize is good. On the flop, since the board offers both potential flush and straight draws, I would raise about 70% of the pot. Your bet was a bit small. We want to give anyone chasing poor odds.

When you get raised, I would make a standard 3bet of 3x the raise. So, make it 48c. Your raise was too small. You only have "just a pair" at the moment and betting small gives the villain good odds to continue with pretty much any hand.

On the turn, there is 83c in the pot and you have 60c behind. You probably have the best hand, but again, you only have a pair. Dont get fancy and slowplay. Keep it simple and just move all in now. Betting small allowed the villain to stay in the hand and outdraw you.

At 2NL slowplaying normally hurts us more than it helps us. Betting and raising as often as we can gains us value, protects our hand and takes advantages of players who call too light. Slowplaying on the otherhand allows opponents to continue cheaply, wins us less value and is unnecessary at the microstakes.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Mon Oct 28, 2013, 08:37 AM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Congratulations!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the >>Hand Analysis<< section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on >>Bankroll Management<< at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com