Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Online Events /

$100K Carnival Freeroll [Time: 15 Minutes]

Old
Cool
$100K Carnival Freeroll [Time: 15 Minutes] - Mon Oct 21, 2013, 09:06 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
First off if you haven't got a ticket for this freeroll follow this link for details on how to participate: http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/prom...deposit-bonus/

So at first look I thought this would be a regular 15 min turbo but was dead wrong. Looking at the starting blind levels they begin at 50/100 and rise every 5 min so that's only 15BB to work with.

Does anyone care to share a strategy for this? Folding every hand might not be possible unless the tables waste their time bank for survival. The players with the most chips get a huge chunk of the prize pool so sitting back from a 1500 stack isn't very profitable with the large amount of players entering.

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 01:58 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
have a feeling there will be a lot of people sitting out, am just going to steal what I can and hope for the best

"A weak player may be a nit but a nit is not necessarily a weak player"

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 02:18 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Lasted 4 minutes Villain flopped straight with 4 more to try not to brick.

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 02:20 PM
(#4)
Lol a 5k stack in 15 min got me this, pretty cool if I can do this for the other freerolls.....FOR FREE!!!

PokerStars Tournament #800545526, No Limit Hold'em
Freeroll
19066 players
Tournament started 2013/10/21 14:00:00 ET

Dear Killeraxa89,

You finished the tournament in 1670th place. A USD 18.17 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 02:20 PM
(#5)
I was wrong, only had 1 guy sitting...

Not a bad result for the 1st one for me
Dear Ron112355,

You finished the tournament in 1584th place. A USD 18.64 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

Old
Always love the 15 minute format!! - Mon Oct 21, 2013, 03:01 PM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2011
I had a riot!!
Profitable also?

Freeroll
19066 players

Dear TheShadoooow,

You finished the tournament in 31st place. A USD 55.60 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

Obviously if less people enter,the value of the chips is greater.
Keep an eye out for that.
GL all!

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 03:03 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2013
BronzeStar
shove all in with some mediocre hand and hope for best

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 03:11 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadoooow View Post
I had a riot!!
Profitable also?

Freeroll
19066 players

Dear TheShadoooow,

You finished the tournament in 31st place. A USD 55.60 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

Obviously if less people enter,the value of the chips is greater.
Keep an eye out for that.
GL all!
LOL very nice man I also think that too, the final freeroll might have less players which = more value of chips

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 06:14 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2013
Hello guys,

i'm a little bit late with the advice because you already used one of your four tickets (i assume everyone got four tickets because all of my friends did)

My first advice woulda be to look whats going on before you sit down at the table, table selection is important in poker!
If you had to choose between a table full of donks and a table with the 8 of the best players in the world you'd choose the one with the donks because i'll be much easier to get ther money woudnt you?

Now, if you look at the current state of the carnaval freerolls there are 4 left of the 5 to choose from, the first one had 19.000 players, the other time tournaments you have to choose from only have 9.000 players to choose from. Because the pot is split among the players participating you'll always have a edge in the 9.000 player tournament because the pricepool has to be split amoung 10.000 players LES then today its tournament.
To bad my advice is to late for you guys who already used one of ther tickets.

Now for the strategy part, i dont really play these kinds of tournaments and i will you why in the hope that i'll change your was of looking at these tournaments and improve your play.
I myself pretty much play my bubble game for the 15 minutes duration of these tournaments.

the perspective i would like to show you that i'd talk about is that people are more likely to be loosen up in these kind of tournaments, they do exist in the regular stars scheduled and i'm going keep these in mind while typing.
Say you are playing the carnaval freeroll tomorrow with 10.000 players. Everyone stars with 1.500 chips. These chips are worth exactly $10. However you start of with only 15BB, and those will probably not feel like $10. I dont want you guys to play scared money but you should be aware of this.
I think the approach to these tournaments is as if they are a 15 minutes cashgame.
Would you shove AKs with 15bb in a tournament if you're in late position, some of you will answer of-course i would!
However if i ask the very same question and say you got $10 in front of you in a cashgame, people will rather tell me they'd raise to perhaps steal the blinds or play a pot with a good starting hand in position.
You gotta figure your own balance between risk reward. Do you want 20 bucks if you risk loosing your 10 free bucks you'd just earn?
once again do not play scared money, just be aware that you're playing money, not chips.

For more advanced players, i do realize that you should not ever keep the money in mind while you're playing poker because that'll influence your decisions. Nor do i imply that you should, i just show you my opinion on these time tournaments and hope that people will be able to adjust ther play to this rather special format of (tournament) poker.

GL in the following tournaments guys

Gr. Daikie

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 07:17 AM
(#10)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron112355 View Post
have a feeling there will be a lot of people sitting out, am just going to steal what I can and hope for the best
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron112355 View Post
I was wrong, only had 1 guy sitting...

The sitter ... was it me?

Some really nice cashes - congrats everybody!!

Mine's not so great, but who knows ... maybe my result's better than if I'd actually tried to play

Did everybody play a lot of hands, or just one or two?

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 09:32 AM
(#11)
I didnt get anything going there was 3x raises and shoves on my table every hand . When I picked up KQ suited I got a double up and that was it

PokerStars Tournament #800545527, No Limit Hold'em
Freeroll
13564 players
Tournament started 2013/10/22 6:00:00 ET

Dear Killeraxa89,

You finished the tournament in 3659th place. A USD 8.11 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 09:57 AM
(#12)
Crazy table today,,had a guy on my left playing any two and catching...Did Manage to steal a couple of blinds so squeaked in to finish ITM

PokerStars Tournament #800545527, No Limit Hold'em
Freeroll
13564 players
Tournament started 2013/10/22 6:00:00 ET

Dear Ron112355,

You finished the tournament in 3132nd place. A USD 11.65 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 03:24 PM
(#13)
Today I hit a river one outer with KK vs AK (run bad must be over), picked off a shorty with AQ and shipped a few uncontested. No clue how much I got. Onto the next.
Did notice that the ones sitting out at my table did survive the 15m (just).

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 07:13 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
So '6:00:00 ET' is 6am EST, is it? I should know that by now

Looks like I made another $2.35 - will be funny to see if I wind up doing better or worse when I actually play on Thursday lol

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 07:46 PM
(#15)
Since: Apr 2012
Hello magicius,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicius View Post
shove all in with some mediocre hand and hope for best
Haha, not so sure I'd agree with that one

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 11:20 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post

Looks like I made another $2.35 - will be funny to see if I wind up doing better or worse when I actually play on Thursday lol
Since I only have 2 tickets left I will be skipping tomorrows game. This one already has well over 10k compared to the remaining 2 which one will again start at 6ET with a much lower field. And I expect the final 100k will have a smaller field due to most people only having 4 tickets for the first 4 played.

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 11:46 PM
(#17)
BronzeStar
You're crushing these things!! Some pretty nice prizes for a freeroll - GL with the last two!!

Old
6AM EST is a bit early! - Wed Oct 23, 2013, 12:28 PM
(#18)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post

I don't hit the sack until 1 or 2 in the morning,so no way that I am going to get up at 6 for the last one.
Thought I might blind out into the $$,but I was out with 2-1/2 minutes to go.
I d/l my hand history,and noticed that from my last hand backwards,7 people were sitting out,one player continually folded each hand,and the last guy min raised every hand.The last 5 hands were all the same,so I didn't go back any further!
I would guess those 5 hands took less than 30 seconds to finish,so on a regular table,should have got some of the $$,just like you.
Maybe tomorrow morning,but I hope today the cards run as good as they did for me on Monday.Only lost one hand,and that was with AQs on the button.I think I played less than 12 hands,but I had upper tier pocket cards every time.
(Not that it matters to anybody except me,but I had more quality hands in that 15 minutes than the almost 4 hours I was alive in the $109-800 million carnival tournament on Sunday!)
G/L all!!!!!

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 06:49 AM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Oh that's a nice story Shadow, to hear that you played the big 800 Mil Carnival tourney on Sunday, and the cards didn't go your way, but then you were able to make a big portion of your buy-in back with one of the Carnival Freerolls

Quite the ride of variance you've had, the way you also wound up at a table with so many sitters ... and one blind-stealer

My record of cashing as a sitter remains intact, with my cash of $0.04 yesterday lol - but when I actually played this morning I was busto within the first 3 hands Maybe I could have waited for a better spot, but I wanted to try and build up a big stack.

Still have one more tomorrow, so another couple of dollars or cents would be nice. GL to everybody who's playing the last one!!

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 07:15 AM
(#20)
Ended with 16k today Got dealt cards, had a lot of sitting out, only lost one all-in so surprised at the numbers that can run up more than 35k! Was on mobile so no clue how much that gets me or if field was smaller today.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com