Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Bankroll Management Question

Old
Bankroll Management Question - Mon Oct 21, 2013, 09:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
Hi

Lets say you decide for MTT you need 100 buyins (this is just an example to make numbers easy - im not recommending here it just for illustratgive purposes))

So lets say you have $100

So you play $1 games now lets say you done well and now have $200 so you can play $2 MTT

Hypothetical quesion lets say you somehow win $444 from big bang or something so BR=$644

What games do you now play?

I know you can play $5 but what are your options?You could withdraw some to make it easy but if you choose not to withdraw do you play higher thna your normally used to ?..and should you?

Thanks

rolo

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 09:55 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
Personally I stick mostly to what I'm used to say $2-3 games and maybe mix in the odd Big $5.50 or something and see how they go. Really it's all about what you feel comfortable playing. If you think it's a bit much then there's nothing to say you have to move up and if you're winning at the level you're currently at then why do you need to?

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 11:26 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
IMO, if it were me, I'm going to stick with a given level of game until I have proven over a large number of games, that I can beat it. Then I'll move up. However, what I will do is to set aside a % of it (probably 10%) and put it into another bankroll... shot taking, so every so often, I can play a bit higher buy-in tourney.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 12:14 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
I would be playing up to 5.5$ turbo mtts and maybe mix it up with some occasional slow 11$ ones, but that's as high as I can go while respecting BRM.
Cashing out more than half is too nitty in my opinion but I respect that.
Or I could play a 530$ and a 109$ mtt, because I respect my username.
Your bankroll, your rules.

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 12:31 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2013
A similar thing happened to me once and I took the careful approach. To improve my chances of not spewing it all I set myself a challenge to stick to one stake for a certain number of games and to reconsider after that based on results.

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 04:13 PM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2012
BronzeStar
There's a point other than Bankroll Management in my opinion.
I made a decent BR through free rolls, but my comfort lever is still only for free rolls/micro buy-ins.
I guess you should not move too fast, could lead into trouble.

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 04:25 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2013
I, myself, have trouble with moving up in stake. My BR allows much higher buy-in's than I actually play.

I'm just not comfortable with the stakes my BR would allow. Anyone got a cure for that?

Maybe set a goal of 5 games and review after that? Or is that too small a sample?

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 04:27 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
5 is WAY too small of a sample. I'm not happy until I get hundreds or even 1k+.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 04:52 PM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
IMO, if it were me, I'm going to stick with a given level of game until I have proven over a large number of games, that I can beat it. Then I'll move up. However, what I will do is to set aside a % of it (probably 10%) and put it into another bankroll... shot taking, so every so often, I can play a bit higher buy-in tourney.

John (JWK24)

Instead of setting aside 10% for taking shots you could put aside 5% or 10% of any cash's from any games at your current level and build a take a shot pot, I'v just started one and will convert 5% of any cash's into euro so it separate from my normal bankroll and when iv made my target amount i can take the shot.

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 06:08 PM
(#10)
Wow lots of ideas everyone thank you

To answer Fadyen question its cos I have too...been at same level for so long im due to move up(this aint to do with the hypothetical $444 win however...sometiems i even play 25c andnot the $1 but Iplan on testing waters higher sooner rather than later god permitting

I like that idea of taking shots

I dont even play MTT so this is gathering knowledge for the future I should point out and appreciate all your answers

@Gamblingprop not sure if you are joking regarding turbos(my pet hate) agreed though cashing out half is nitty

Yes rkleefstra the answer lies within this thread as im in exact same situation as yourself mainly down to the people at PSO

Indeed you do need a lot of games yet after 10 games once at a level when i moved up I soon knew I had to change a lot of things to become profitable....Im a firm believer that the more you know the better you do so learning is very important always

Thanks Again

rolo

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 06:15 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Just because you've been at a given level for a period of time DOES NOT mean that you're due to move up. A player is never DUE to move up... that has to be earned, by beating the previous level of game.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 06:59 PM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2010
Your ITM percentage is great, but your sample size is way too small to consider a BRM adustment. (I'm referring to MTT's, as that was your question).
On the other side of the coin, you don't want to limit yourself to freerolls either, I'm just going on the info I see on the OPR site.
I would say a least 1k tournaments/MT SnG's in volume b4 making a BR decision is minimum, but as I've said so many times ...... I'm a nit.

I've played 564 in the last 120 days (only really been playing on Stars since June this year), so if it were me, I would re-asses once I've played at least 1k tournaments/SnG's on Stars, I have made a minor BR increase, this month, and things seem pretty stable, but volume is key when it comes to these decisions IMO.

Old
Thu Nov 07, 2013, 01:20 AM
(#13)
Thanks only just seen thsi been very ill/poorly

I only play 1 game at a time so far .....justttt branched out into 2 sometiems so geting 1000's will take long time

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com