Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$4.40 - Playing the bottom of my Continuing Range

Old
$4.40 - Playing the bottom of my Continuing Range - Mon Oct 21, 2013, 11:03 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Unfortunately i'm on the mac so only have the boom hand history:

http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hand...084_24A660CBA2

Interesting hand for sure.

JJ is probably close to the bottom of my continuing range once an opponent raises this super dry flop multiway.

However, as it is a minraise I think our hand is too good to fold. I would expect stronger hands like sets to either raise bigger or overcall as it is such a dry flop, but who knows at these buy ins.

Turn is an absolute brick. I think our decision should be made here. I am quite suspicious of how valuey the sizing is.

If we call this turn then I think we should be committed to call most river bets pending sizing.

River is a good card as it counterfeits all his two pair hands (excluding ones that boated up), so if I don't think we can fold given the money in the middle, but i'm open to ideas.

Anybody wanna chime in? Am I just a calling station?

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 12:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
I think our real decision should be made on the flop.
I am either shoving, making a pot committing raise there, or I am folding.
It's going to be hard to continue on a scary turn and river card.
You would think they are 3betting pre with QQ+ and with sets they would probably just call flop.
So with that in mind I am probably going broke on the flop, or folding and waiting for a better spot.
As played, both turn and river call make a lot of sense.

Last edited by GamblingProp; Mon Oct 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM..

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi birdayy!

With JJ from UTG, I'm going to make a standard opening raise, which for me is to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will bet 90.

I flop an overpair to the board against 2 opps. When the first one checks to me, I need to make a bet both for value and to protect my hand against the draws that the opps can have. With 2 opps, a standard bet sizing is 2/3 pot, so I will bet 182. I cannot bet less than this or I can be giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me. If I give them the correct odds and they do end up outdrawing me, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.
The other thing here is that the pot size is small compared to the stack sizes, so I want to be building a pot, so that I can possibly stack an opp with a favorable last two board cards.

The opp now min-raises me. From their point of view, I totally understand their raise (but they should have made it 3X the previous bet, not a min). The hero bet way too small, that prices in draws. Holding top pair, the opp has to price the draws out (which they did a bad job of) or they deserve to lose if they get outdrawn.

Right now is where I need to make my decision in the hand. If the opp has a draw to beat me, they still have not been priced out, so I either need to raise enough to price them out (3X their bet is 834).. or fold. Against most opps (other than a total nit), I'm going to re-raise to 834. If I'm called, then I need to re-evaluate on the turn. If I'm re-raised, then I'm mucking and am out of the hand.

The turn is a brick and having called the raise (which I would not do), I'm leading the turn for 1/2 pot. By checking to the opp, they should be betting basically ANY turn card. So by checking, I have absolutely no clue whether I'm ahead or behind... so I don't know whether to call/raise/fold. I want to try to have the initiative in the hand going to the river since I'm OOP too.

When I get to the river, I'd be happy to check/call, as my hand does have showdown value.

I really don't want to check/call 2 streets in a row like this, it is stationy and will cost me value in the long run, as when an opp sees this, they'll check behind if they're drawing.. and get a free card to beat me.. which again will be my own fault if I get outdrawn due to it. I always want the opp to have to make a -EV play against me, not to get a +EV play where they expect to win chips from me.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 01:03 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
Apart from a few gutshots and 9T there really isn't too many draws on a 38Tr board John.

You seem to be focused on the drawing part of his range. Given the positional action (MP vs UTG) you wouldn't range him on a made hand which would have us beat when he minraises a cbet from a (likely) strong range?

If we donk the turn, I don't think we will have more information than if we check/call. It's unlikely any of his raising range OTF will suddenly fold OTT vs a donkbet and will be in a similar situation OTR.

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 01:25 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Unless they have a set, I'm ranging them on a draw or a 1 pair hand. QQ+ should have 3-bet me preflop, so while it's in their range, I'm basically ruling it out.

Check/calling 2 streets in a row.. is a way to do it for a cash game, but not in a tourney.

Weaker 1 pair hands should muck to the lead on the turn, as they can't afford to continue with marginal holdings when we lead into them for the 2nd time.

When playing a cash game, I want to bet and take lines to possibly get more chips (even a small amount) from the opps and since I can reload, I don't mind if an opp draws out on me a given % of the time.. I want to keep them in the pot.

Tourney strategy is totally different from this. In tourneys, chip preservation is much more important. Yes, I want to accumulate chips, but only on +EV plays. I can't take lines where the opps get +EV plays at me. For example, in cash games, I'm happy thin-value betting on any street. In tourneys, I can only do this on the river. On flops/turns, I need to price out draws and not thin value bet as protecting my hand is more important that getting a few extra chips. In tourneys, unlike cash games, chips not lost are worth more than chips gained, as I have to look at tourney EV also, not just chip EV.

The line taken here as played, while it's great for a cash game, it's not how I need to go about the hand in a tourney due to the strategy differences.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com