Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

2 hands from my latest sit n go

Old
2 hands from my latest sit n go - Mon Oct 21, 2013, 03:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
Hello,

first, there is below hand, i don't understand why we splitted the pot, he had a better kicker than me :

*** SHOW DOWN ***
xxx: shows [As 5c] (a pair of Aces)
Syldsp: shows [2d Ad] (a pair of Aces)
xxx collected 825 from pot
Syldsp collected 825 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1650 | Rake 0
Board [Js Qc 3s Ah Tc]
Seat 2: Syldsp showed [2d Ad] and won (825) with a pair of Aces
Seat 4: x (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: xx (small blind) folded on the Turn
Seat 7: xxx (big blind) showed [As 5c] and won (825) with a pair of Aces

and second, here is below hand, i think that i played it correctly, it was just no luck this time that i wasagainst against a pair of aces i think :

225+25 Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2013/10/21 21:27:41 CET [2013/10/21 15:27:41 ET]
Table '' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 2: Syldsp (1320 in chips)
Seat 4: xxxx (3465 in chips)
Seat 5: xxxxx (2695 in chips)
Seat 7: xxxxxxx (6020 in chips)
xxxx: posts small blind 75
xxxxx: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Syldsp [Kd Kh]
xxxxxxx: folds
Syldsp: raises 300 to 450
xxxx: calls 375
xxxxx: folds
*** FLOP *** [Ac Th Ts]
xxxx: checks
Syldsp: bets 870 and is all-in
xxxx: calls 870
*** TURN *** [Ac Th Ts] [8c]
*** RIVER *** [Ac Th Ts 8c] [8d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
xxxx: shows [Ah 8h] (a full house, Eights full of Aces)
Syldsp: shows [Kd Kh] (two pair, Kings and Tens)
xxxx collected 2790 from pot
Syldsp finished the tournament in 4th place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2790 | Rake 0
Board [Ac Th Ts 8c 8d]
Seat 2: Syldsp (button) showed [Kd Kh] and lost with two pair, Kings and Tens
Seat 4: xxxx (small blind) showed [Ah 8h] and won (2790) with a full house, Eights full of Aces
Seat 5: xxxxx (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: xxxxxxx folded before Flop (didn't bet)

i'm looking forward to your replies

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 03:43 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Syldsp!

In the first hand, only your 5 card hand counts. Both players have AAQJT, so it's a chop.

In the second one, with less than 10BB, I cannot play a hand without shoving, so I need to shove preflop.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 05:35 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2010
well for me first hand half of it is missing so cannot comment.. second hand as JWK24 say with less than 10 bb its a insta shove.

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2013, 06:29 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2013
First hand you only have 5 card to make your hand as JWK24 said.

On the second hand i also shove. King King preflop is a very strong hand. It is hard to lay it down even if an ace would come on the flop.
You need to look at the stack sized, you barely got 10 Big Blinds left so if you bed and get a call there are at least 7.5 big blinds in the pot (your 3bb, the caller its 3bb, the small blind and the bigblind i didnt not keep antes in mind so the pot might even be bigger then)
Given that the pot is 7.5BB and you have only 7BB on the back you can now increase your stack with 200% if you happen to call and win the hand, that would be a good gamble to take the chance that your opponent does not have a ace woulnt it?
this is what we call being committed.

If you keep this in mind preflop you know you just can shove your 10BB all-in with pocket kings because it is very unlikely you'll fold your hand anyway. Yet more! if your opponent holding A10o is a tight player he might not call you in the first place, you pick up the blinds and are still in the tournament.

Edit: i didnt have the hand with me when typing this message so now i recheck its a SnG not tournament and the pot'll only 6.5BB

Gr. Daikie

Last edited by Daikìe; Mon Oct 21, 2013 at 06:31 PM..

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 01:42 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2013
Thank you for your replies !i'm glad to know that the 2nd hand was well played !

about the first one, it helped also, i forgot that the result was made with the 5 best cards

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 01:46 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
The second one was NOT played well.... the shove has to be initially, the first action taken preflop. The smaller preflop bet is a big mistake!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com