Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

My goals for the rest of the month

Old
My goals for the rest of the month - Tue Oct 22, 2013, 04:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
So I've decided to post my short term goals in the hope that by having them in writing, it will give me motivation.
A little background first, I've been playing poker with my friends for years, but only made my first deposit on PS a month ago. Initially I had no idea about bankroll management, played 3,50 STT with a 25$ bankroll, and experienced the highs and lows of variance (up to 75$ but then down to 6 bucks).
2 weeks ago I reset my stats and started grinding micro stakes MTT (1.10 and under) and 1.50 Fifty50s, and the results have been promising enough for me to deposit another 25$ last night, making my BR 50$. I think this gives me room to grind out the variance.
So, my goals for the end of the month :

- Qualify for the PSO premier league (I'm currently 900ish) - bonus : make the top 500 for an added cash bonus.
- Grind out 150 games of 1.50 Fifty50 by the end of the month. I'm currently at 64, so I'm gonna nead to start multitabling a little more.
- Finish the month in +$, including my losses of the top of the month, when I wasn't managing my BR.
- Put asside 5% of my daily winnings to take shots at bigger MTTs (or to stake better players )

At the end of the month I'll fix myself new goals for November.

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 05:24 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Sounds like a decent enough plan. Bankroll management is crucial, so I'm glad you've addressed that. Good luck with your challenge!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 22, 2013, 05:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Good luck.

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 11:11 PM
(#4)
2 days into my challenge, I have had a setback on the PSO, since I couldn't play last night and tonight I missed the 5PM ET game and I scored neg points in the 9PM ET one. I will be aroung 1000th tomorrow morning, needing around 200 pts til the end of the month to make my way into the top 500, according to the pts the 500th ranked player scored the past months.
Had a downswing last night, losing 7.99 in Fifty50, I think I was playing too loose for the format, plus I was playing 4 tables at once and I think I made some poor decisions. It's not easy trying to be aggressive in MTT while being a nit in Fifty50s. Still managed to grind out 20 games in the past 2 days, now at 89. With 7 days remaining in the month, I need 10/day, so my weekend grind is gonna have to be productive!
Cashed in a 1.10 MTT last night and also in the Hot 0.55 tonight. Today I also played a few 1.00 40 players STGs on 888, games I find to be VERY soft. I played 5 of them tonight, made 3 FTs, won one and came in 2nd in another!
Overall I ended up today with my best winning day since I started managing my BR, being in the money 9 of my 15 tourneys for 21.24$ winnings.
With the 1.40$ I have reserved (5% of my winnings) already since the start of my challenge, I will try to satellite my way into the Big 2.20 Friday night. I have up to 4 shots so I'm pretty confident since I have done this before twice already!

Old
Fri Oct 25, 2013, 04:38 AM
(#5)
If I were you, I would make these changes to your plan:
drop the 150 game target to something that does not require you to multitable as much
stop playing the MTTs as the same time as theFifty50s (except maybe League)

multitabling can heavily affect your ROI and mixing in games with totally different strategy takes a lot of concentration.

I thing that the profit and BRM aspects of your challenge are more important than the volume aspects.

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 02:11 AM
(#6)
@TweedleBeetl
Thank you for the advice. It appears that you are right.
Tonight I didn't play many games, since I was feeling tired and started feeling tilty at the end. Made a very deep run in the open skill league, finishing 46th! That was a great boost to my ranking, as I now sit 700th with 2029 pts. I need about 170 more points to reach my target of 2200 that I think would have me safely in the top 500.
I did however notice that Fifty50s played during the later stages of the skill league were definately NOT profitable, as I was being way too aggressive, understandably so since I was in blind-stealing, blind-defending mode on the other table.
I will absolutely stop playing Fifty50s when I approach the bubble in the skill league in the future.
I will also play no more than 3 tables at once for the time being, more than 3 I get confused and make bad decisions.
Overall a losing day, -3.73, including my 0.01 cash in the skill league!
But I will be well rested and ready to grind over the weekend!
Maybe I should be making a blog out of my challenge in November!

Old
Thu Oct 31, 2013, 08:34 PM
(#7)
I unfortunately just busted out of the final OSL game of the month in 3612th place, having my KK beat by J10 from a guy who was jamming every other hand. Barring many players in the top 500 having less than 20VPP I won't be in the Premier League next month, as I will finish around 600th.
So that part of my challenge won't be a success, but in November I WILL make it!
Now for the other parts :
- 150 Fifty50 games : done! I now sit at 162, planning to play maybe 4 more until the end of the day. My ROI is at 8.22 with todays little downswing of 4 straight non cashes. I stopped playing Turbos last week and only played normal speed, I think I can beat them more regularly. In 108 normal Fifty50s my ROI is at 10.14.
- Finish the month in the +$ : This will be a done deal as well! I broke even for the whole month this week and am now at +$5.90. After my reset October 10th I am $36.01 in the green!
- 5% of daily winnings : I have done it every day, used it all and part of my BR to stake Profess Awe this Sunday.

Overall I am very pleased with how my challenge went. My BR is up and I will soon be confortable enough BR wise to start mixing in some 3.50 Fifty50s. That is plan anyway.

Thinking about a new challenge for November, try and up my BR and my stakes with the Fifty50s!

Old
Thu Oct 31, 2013, 08:38 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Don't count yourself out yet. I've seen it in prior months where a good number of players didn't have 20VPP's... so you may have a chance.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 31, 2013, 10:03 PM
(#9)
I guess I will see that tomorrow!
My estimated score puts me at 615th with 2 games still left to complete. There's gonna have to be a lot of non 20VPP players ahead of me!
Will I get an email or something telling me that I qualified for the Premier League? What about my 2.50$ bonus? How long does it take to get it?

Last edited by simonrdr; Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 10:08 PM..

Old
Thu Oct 31, 2013, 10:51 PM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
You will get an e-mail and if you do qualify, the ticket will be awarded just before the first game of the month.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 01, 2013, 03:35 AM
(#11)
a data point:
I did some research a week ago and I think that the last guy who made it last time was #627 in september's open league rankings. I did not qualify by Qualifier league and did play in PL in october

So if this is typical you have a realistic chance.
I did only look at one month though so lolsamplesize

Old
Fri Nov 01, 2013, 02:36 PM
(#12)
Well, unless PSO sorts out the Premier League tickets after they send the bonusses, it appears that my 630th place won't be enough to make it to the Premier League for November! Oh well, one more month to fine tune my game and make it in December!

Old
Sat Nov 02, 2013, 11:13 AM
(#13)
Hi simonrdr,

Congratulations on earning your ticket to this month's Premier Skill League. The ticket is required for entry to the Premier Skill League tournaments.

Made it!!

Old
Sat Nov 02, 2013, 11:16 AM
(#14)
congrats. see you in PL

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com