Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Calling the BTN from LP with A2o - $0.25 NL

Old
Calling the BTN from LP with A2o - $0.25 NL - Tue Oct 22, 2013, 09:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Hi,

This is a hand from a $0.25 NL Hold'em [90 Players] - Level III (25/50) that I called the River and won.
I usually wouldn't play with an A2o but everyone was amazingly loose happily checking to the River so I thought I'd raise to see the flop being folded to me.
With just the BTN wanting to play, and having seen the absolute nonsense he had tried to bluff with, I put him at broadways, no A and did not think he'd made a pair and called his shove.

Should I have avoided getting into this mess in the first place by playing A2? Did I read this guy or get lucky? This was early tourney and he'd checked to the river with K3o and such.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...383_77EFF2D886

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 02:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi IBNash!

Loose play early in these is standard.. expect it. Due to this, I want to play tighter early in them and to NOT bluff. I want to only be value betting early.

With A2o in the hijack, I can either make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper (150) or fold. With it being early, especially if any of the opps still in the hand are aggressive, I'm mucking.

I see a HU flop, OUT of position, and I'll take my one chance to win the pot here by making a 1/2 pot c-bet. My plan for the rest of the hand is this. If the opp raises, with nothing, I need to fold. If the opp calls, then I will not put another chip into the pot unless my hand improves.

I do not want to bluff in these tourneys early, as there are too many loose, stationy players that will call with anything. I want to save my chips until I get a made hand, and then value bet.

I also CANNOT check/call the river, as I have absolutely nothing! Bet or fold and the best decision is to have folded this hand much sooner.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 03:48 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2013
Got it, fold the fricking A2!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com