Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder Please!

Old
Bankroll Builder Please! - Tue Oct 22, 2013, 09:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
BronzeStar
I am very new to PokerStars and would like to participate in the bankroll builder!

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 06:29 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgeAK View Post
I am very new to PokerStars and would like to participate in the bankroll builder!
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Please read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 06:41 AM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll Builder Hand Replay - Aces preflop - Wed Oct 23, 2013, 01:33 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar

Hello, in this hand I am dealt AA while under the gun. I make a value bet of 3BB, which is called by three players before the small blind pushes all in. I call with what I assume is the strongest starting hand at the table, and one other player calls. The flop shows no pairs and no straights, so I raise about half of my remaining chips; the other player who is not all in raises me to almost all in. I call to see the turn, still no pairs or straights on the board and no help to the flush draw, so I call when the other player raises me all in. The river is a harmless deuce but by this time I have already seen that one of my opponents flopped a set of 10s, he wins the pot.

Can you give me any advice on how I handled this hand, was I mistaken for calling the initial push by the small blind, even with aces? Or did the player with pocket 10s just catch a lucky break?

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 07:46 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 12:53 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi ArgeAK! I'll analyse the hand in post #4.

With AA UTG, making a raise for value is obviously correct and 3bb is standard. Several players call and then something amazing happens: a villain goes all in. The first thing to say is you're never folding. You can't possibly be behind, and you're a big favourite against any hand apart from the other combo of AA. Your only decision is to call or re-raise. The problem (although it's not really a "problem" as such, when you have AA) is that calling represents a large chunk of your stack. If a call would cost 1/3 of your stack, you'd be "pot committed" which means it would be a mistake to fold on the flop, even if it was very bad for your hand, because the pot would be much larger than your remaining stack, meaning you'd have ludicrous pot odds. Notice that calling, like you did, means you've already put more money in the pot than you have left behind. When you're pot committed, the obvious play is to just go all in. (If you're definitely going to put the rest of you money on the next street, then you may as well shove it in now). The one benefit of just calling is that it might trick another villain into calling (or shoving) with a worse hand, thus making the pot even bigger when you're a favourite. That's what happens here. A villain also calls, when he should be going all in, as he'll also be pot-committed and would be making a mistake if he folded on the flop.
The flop comes T63, which is a good flop for your overpair, but the texture of the flop shouldn't matter to you with these stack sizes. You have the best overpair, but look at the size of the pot. There's 353 in the middle, and you only have 63 to bet. The obvious play is the best one: Go all in. There's no point in betting 30 into 353, because a villain is always calling however much of your stack you put in. I would call this bet if I had any pair, because the pot odds make it correct. Weirdly, the villain minraises, but even more weirdly, you just call. You now have just 3 chips and the pot is 473. It would be ludicrous to fold now, when you could bet 3 chips to win 473, so you should have just gone all in on the flop. Villain puts you in on the turn, and you naturally call. It turns out that he got very lucky and hit a set on the flop, and you couldn't hit a 2-outer to suck out.
Apart from post-flop, which was somewhat comical, you played this fine. I think that if you'd gone all in pre-flop, then TT would have still called. You would have got it in as an 80/20 favourite, which is about as best as you can hope for. In the long run, you'll lose in this spot about 1 time in 5, so you just have to chalk it up to bad luck. Hopefully you'll have better luck on the real money tables. Just remember that if making a call will commit you to the pot and you don't plan to fold at a later stage, you may as well go all in.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old
Thank you! - Thu Oct 24, 2013, 10:19 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Hi Arty, most of what you had to say was exactly what I was expecting, but thank you for taking the time to analyze my hand!

Also, I have passed the poker assessment so I believe I am complete the first steps!

Old
Fri Oct 25, 2013, 04:10 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Real Money Hand K10 - Fri Oct 25, 2013, 09:12 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar

In this hand, I am dealt K 10 while in the small blind position. A player minraises on the preflop, another player calls and everyone else folds to me. I call, and the big blind calls. The flop shows 6 K 7, giving me top pair, so I value raise 3BB. The player who raised on the preflop is the only caller, and the turn shows a 4. Since the 4 doesn't really worry me I raise another $12. The other player calls, and the river shows a 10, giving me top two pair. I raise to 50, and the other player pushes all in. I call, thinking I likely have the best hand, but after I show top two pair, the other player shows a flush he scored on the river after calling me on every street with ace high.

Did I tragically misplay this hand, or did I once again run into an unfortunate upset?

Old
Betting Big - Fri Oct 25, 2013, 09:57 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Reasons to bet big:
1. To put pressure on opponent(s)
2. To bluff opponent(s) off decent hands
3. To gain value from a strong hand

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 06:20 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 12:56 PM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi ArgeAK! I'll analyse the hand in post #9.

You got a bit unlucky in this hand, but I think you made a couple of mistakes too. KTo is a trouble hand, but I think it's OK to call with it pre-flop in the blinds, as you're only faced with a minraise, and it's a multiway pot, which means you'll usually have good odds to try and hit a big hand. And that's the thing. With KTo in a multiway pot, your aim should be to hit two pairs or better, as one pair is unlikely to be the best hand at showdown against several players, especially as your kicker is marginal. In multiway pots, the winning hand is often a straight, flush, or better.
As played, you call and the BB also calls, so it's 4-handed on the flop. The two-tone K76 flop gives you top pair, but this board is quite "wet", with flush and straight draws. Both betting and checking are viable here. (You can't "raise" unless someone bets first). I would usually check, planning to call a bet, which is most likely going to be made by the pre-flop aggressor. Although betting to protect your hand has merit, there's a risk that you could already be losing (to KJ+, sets of 7s, 6s) and might get raised off your hand. With one pair with a marginal kicker, I like to keep the pot small, especially when I'm out of position in the blinds and I wasn't the pre-flop agressor. Another problem with betting is that the pre-flop raiser might just fold, meaning you get no value for your hand.
As played, you bet and the pre-flop raiser calls. This is interesting. I think he usually has a better king (if not top set or AA) or he has a flush draw. Your one pair is no good if villain has KJ+, but you're ahead of the draws, so need to dodge spades on the turn and river. The 4d on the turn is a total blank. Since you bet the flop, I think you should fire again, but at every stage of the hand you should be prepared to fold if you get raised, because the opponent won't be bluffing. Your turn bet is a little small. Always bet at least half pot on the flop and turn, to get value when you're ahead and to make it a mistake for flush/straight draws to call. The river is a bittersweet card, since the flush draw got there, while you improved to two pairs. You're now beating AK/KQ/KJ if the villain was calling with a better top pair, but you're crushed if he had the flush draw. Your pot-sized bet on the river is far too large. When you make large bets, it's hard for worse hands to call. You'll usually only get action from better hands. The villain raises all in, and I think he has a flush here almost always. His line of calling flop and turn makes perfect sense for a flush draw, as you gave him a good price to call. Now he's made his hand, he wants to get maximum value. You have to fold now. Your big bet said "I have a big hand", but villain's shove says "I have a bigger one". Calling here is a huge mistake, because you'll lose your stack almost always.
When making bets post-flop, try and think about what a villain could have. If a flush or straight gets completed, and you get raised, it's nearly always because your opponent hit it. It's horrible getting raised on the river when you've been betting all the way, but villains aren't bluffing very often. If they raise, it's because they have the best hand.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 05:14 PM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant!

Now just let us know as soon as you've passed the Cash Game quiz and we'll get your next bonus to you

Cheers,
Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Hand Analyzation - Sun Oct 27, 2013, 01:23 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Thanks Arty! Actually, I made the mistake of going to the cash game before I read and studied the cash game course. I have done that now, and learned quite a bit about how I should and shouldn't be playing. It makes a lot of sense now that I did misplay that hand, but at least I won't make a mistake like that again!

Old
Sun Oct 27, 2013, 03:48 AM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Have you passed the Cash Game quiz?

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 27, 2013, 03:31 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
No, the first time I attempted it I scored 58%. However, I found a few of my mistakes in the Preflop Essentials course by taking a better look at the starting hand chart. I'm pretty sure I will pass it when it becomes available again.

Old
Cash Game Quiz - Mon Oct 28, 2013, 12:03 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
As I suspected, I passed the cash game quiz when I reattempted it! It is complete now.

Old
Mon Oct 28, 2013, 07:59 AM
(#18)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgeAK View Post
As I suspected, I passed the cash game quiz when I reattempted it! It is complete now.
Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
QQ in SB - Mon Oct 28, 2013, 12:06 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar

Hi, in this hand I am dealt QQ in the SB position. I made a couple mistakes here that I am aware of and lost a large portion of my bonus. A couple players fold and someone in MP raises 3BB. As far as I know the only correct move here is to re-raise, so I do by a standard 3x his raise. Only he calls and the flop shows 10 J 6 two tone. My first mistake happens here (I think). It is a fairly wet board and I have an overpair, so I should probably have raised to push him out of a draw. Instead we both check, and the turn shows a Q. Here is where I make my second and fatal mistake, instead of making a very large bet on my trips to put pressure on the draws I check again, allowing the other player to see the river for free. The river is 8d, completing both the straight and flush draws. I make a third mistake here, betting large on a dangerous board after checking two streets. The other player quickly raises me all-in, and I call (my final mistake) he shows down pocket 9s giving him a straight to Q that he picked up thanks to being able to see the turn and river for free.

It's interesting because I know and knew what I should have been doing, but for some reason I still played it wrong.

Old
Tue Oct 29, 2013, 07:55 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com