Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Slowplaying the nuts - $0.25 NL Hold'em

Old
Slowplaying the nuts - $0.25 NL Hold'em - Tue Oct 22, 2013, 10:51 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
This is hand from a $0.25 NL Hold'em [90 Players] - Level V (75/150) that I flopped the flush nuts.

I slowplayed and took time calling his bets acting unsure in an effort to get as many chips out of him as I could.

I would like some feedback on the way I played this hand cause I think this was the most chips I was getting out of him on a scary flop like that.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...730_81E5F3321D

This is against a sensible player who multi-tables (25 23).

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 02:15 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi IBNash!

With A9s from the BB, when I get two limps in front of me, I'm going to check and see a free flop.

I flop an OESFD and I'm going to make a value bet when it's checked to me. The key here is the sizing of it. Once again, I need to make standard bets based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 2 opps, I need to bet 2/3 pot (300).

The turn puts a 4th heart on the board and once again, I'm going to lead here. The only way I can check is if there is not a single card in the deck that can beat me. If the opp has 2 pair or a set, then they have outs to beat me, so I need to bet enough to price these out. With one opp, a standard bet sizing is 1/2 pot, so I will bet 450. If I check, have the opp check behind me and get outdrawn, it's my own fault that I'd lose the hand.

The river should be a blank, as a straight most likely isn't good here. I'm going to lead again here unless I have a specific read on the opp that they are likely to bluff the river and have done so in the past. My bet will be based on my read of the opp and I will bet.... whatever I think the opp will call (normally I use about 40% of the pot). I want to get value from my hand and do not want to check and see them check behind.
If I have a specific read that the opp likes to bomb the river as a bluff, then I'll go for a check/raise and the key here once again is the sizing. When the opp bets 2400, this bet basically pot-commits them, so if they are a realistic opp (that knows they're pot committed).. then I'm going to shove here. The minimum that I'd raise is to about 2.5X their bet (standard is 3X).

When the hand's over, the one thing I WILL be doing is making a note that the opp will bluff by making a pot-committing bet and then fold. This is VERY useful information for if I play them again (and if they're a reg in these games, I should be able to use this information against them in the future).

As with the other hands, the keys here are the bet sizes, as the bets that were made are way too small.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. 25/23 is a bit loose for these games. My goal in them is to play about 20/16.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 03:36 AM
(#3)
Okay, I will focus on getting these bet sizes down pat.
So post flop, HU - 1/4th pot, 2 guys - 2/3rd pot and so on?

I opened a tad less, but post flop-check, he bet more than you suggested I should have. This just confirmed my suspicion that he was gonna try and bluff. Hello entrapment!

With that flop, and even the Turn, nobody could make a Straight/Royal here as I had the connecting cards required for both. The only remote threat post-Turn would be him holding pocket KK which by my read he definitely did not or he would've just shoved seeing the flop. And he'd still need another K on the River and that seemed highly unlikely.

I have added notes on the player and will try and use these pot committing bets against him next time. I did not feel his raise had pot committed him at the time.

Will shove it next time

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 09:55 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Here is a blog that I wrote about it. It gives the numbers for every situation.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 11:01 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Here is a blog that I wrote about it. It gives the numbers for every situation.

John (JWK24)
I just found this having decided to finish reading Arty's blog.

Cheers John

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 11:14 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
While you got a nice result here when the villain made a spewy bluff on the river, I would strongly recommend you avoid fancy plays like checking the nuts. Slowplaying is not a good idea in the micros. With value hands, you should be betting. Villains will make more "calling mistakes" than anything, so keep betting into them and let them make their favourite mistake. The majority of the time, you get paid for your monster hands by betting, not checking.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 11:18 AM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
Slowplaying is not a good idea in the micros. With value hands, you should be betting. Villains will make more "calling mistakes" than anything, so keep betting into them and let them make their favourite mistake. The majority of the time, you get paid for your monster hands by betting, not checking.
I 100% agree. I played a number of these games before black Friday and this is absolutely true.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 11:46 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
While you got a nice result here when the villain made a spewy bluff on the river, I would strongly recommend you avoid fancy plays like checking the nuts. Slowplaying is not a good idea in the micros. With value hands, you should be betting. Villains will make more "calling mistakes" than anything, so keep betting into them and let them make their favourite mistake. The majority of the time, you get paid for your monster hands by betting, not checking.
OEFD worry me a lot, so I end up imposing that on the opponent and feel he won't bet and I will end up getting less value if he folds.
I will just bet the next time.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com