Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Overvaluing AKs? - $0.25 NL Hold'em

Old
Overvaluing AKs? - $0.25 NL Hold'em - Tue Oct 22, 2013, 11:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
This is a hand from a $0.25 NL Hold'em [90 Players] - Level III (25/50) that I lost.

Of course I wondered if he had a flush seeing that flop.
Was this okay play or was there a point I could've put him at a flush and missed it?

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...884_2AE973A2F0

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 12:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi IBNash!

With AKs from the hijack, I get a raise in front of me. I am going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, to 200. I do not want to raise to less than this, as I can easily be giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me. If I give them the right odds and lose the hand, it's my own fault that I lose.

I flop TPTK on a very wet board. When it checks to me, I'm going to make a standard value bet in most instances. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 2 opps, a standard sizing is 2/3 pot, but with this wet of a board, I need to up this to 3/4 pot, so I will normally bet 405 (no more, no less, as I want to make standard bets... with ONE exception, if I'm pot-committed). Players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent.. something that I absolutely want to avoid. The problem here is that by wanting to bet 405, this DOES pot-commit me if I make this bet. So now, I have 2 choices on the flop... to shove or check. Due to how wet this board is, I'm going to check for pot control. I don't want to put all of my chips into a situation where I can very easily be behind. If the opp bets, then I will see what my pot odds are and if they are small enough to call, I will. If the opp makes a sizable bet, then I need to fold.
I don't want to do something in-between checking and shoving, as any sizable bet pot-commits me and if I'm pot-committed, I need to shove.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Oct 23, 2013, 01:01 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2013
Thank you, that answered my questions perfectly!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com