Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

The hot O.55 NLHE, how should I have bet to protect AA better

Old
The hot O.55 NLHE, how should I have bet to protect AA better - Wed Oct 23, 2013, 09:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013
Hello,

Some hands just seem to haunt you especially when you know you played them like a bit of a muppet, here it is

So I made a standard raise and then a villian 3 bets, and two others called that 3 bet. I decided to try a trap (first big mistake), and just called. But here is my first question what size should I have reraised? A shove would have been way to much as it was the first few hands and deep stacked. But I was thinking if I had raised to say 1000, i still may have ran into the problem I did.

As the hand unfolds, I thought the villain who donked on the flop had either JJ, TT and had hit the set or A J. But when they pushed on the turn, I knew they had what they did. The other two villains I didn't really consider too much (which just shows how much I wasn't thinking).

On any of these streets could I have bet in a way to prevent what happened? Or should I have folded when I hit my set, knowing I was behind but hoping for the fullhouse?

I had little info on the villains as it was only like hand 6.

I feel I made mistakes from the moment I entered the pot to the moment I lost. But I would really like some advice on how I could have potentially played it better to avoid losing this hand if possible.

This is one that might keep me up tonight

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 01:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
Hello,
Don't try to trap mullty-way pots You may try it HU There's such a good stack in the middle pre flop, I would shove in a crowd like this.

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 07:51 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
I cringed when I saw the call preflop :P

Nah but seriously raise here 100% of the time, especially at the $0.55 buy in level multiway.

Maybe if you are playing against a really good hand reader at the $100+ buy in level then you can get tricky.

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 03:26 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2013
I 100% agree with the comments so far, calling preflop was the mistake I believe lost me the hand. I have definately learnt that lesson the hard way. But the question is, would a shove have been too much? And if is was then how big a 4-bet should I have made?

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 05:22 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywolf171 View Post
I 100% agree with the comments so far, calling preflop was the mistake I believe lost me the hand. I have definately learnt that lesson the hard way. But the question is, would a shove have been too much? And if is was then how big a 4-bet should I have made?

so there's 735 in the pot and 3 opponents 735+210*2=1155 it's at about the third of your stack ,that's why you should shove, even if one of them calls there would be more chips in the pot than yours. and you need to know your raise of 1155 will look stronger than shove

Last edited by Shichi-77; Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 06:23 PM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2010
Perhaps you had another option here..the double floaters after the 3bet most likely are just flop peaking in a multiway pot but the intial 3 bettor is probably gonna be your target here.By this i mean you can probably get this player to reshove JJ+ over top of you by reraising in a squeese play type bet of half your stack. You are usally gonna drop the flop peakers at this point and look for the iso allin from the intial 3bettor..or you pick up the free money in the middle if they fold..it doesnt always work though as some villans will still flop peak poorly for half stacks pre.

Old
Fri Oct 25, 2013, 12:07 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Ladywolf,

Certainly I agree too with reraising prelfop. I think shoving all in is too large, we let some of the more marginal preflop hands off the hook and give them a good reason to fold (play perfectly) by doing this, when we would rather they make mistakes. Half our stack (1500ish) is likewise too big for the same reason imo, it makes it very clear we are not folding and have a monster. I think a nice sizing here is about 750-825, that may serve us best to induce both calling errors and reraising errors.

Post flop I think it's important to look at your read. On the flop you said:

Quote:
I thought the villain who donked on the flop had either JJ, TT and had hit the set or A J.
The ranging is too narrow, but regardless, if this is your read, then the ace on the turn is the absolute perfect card as it pulls you ahead of all this and ensures you will get his stack. And he might shove all these hands on the turn to protect his hand from a K or Q beating him on the river. So why then did you suddenly feel he must have KQ?

In reality, KQ is part of his range for sure, but so are the lower sets and aces up, even JTs perhaps. I am never going to fold on the turn here with the 2nd nuts when the villains can reasonably hold quite a few worse hands, and even when someone does have the nuts, we still have 10 outs to river them. So preflop play aside, once we get to this point I would be going broke here too every time.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com