Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

weird turn spot with 88 on freeroll

Old
weird turn spot with 88 on freeroll - Thu Oct 24, 2013, 05:22 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Villain was playing tight so far.
My reasoning for the small flop bet was to induce a call with trash.
I am not so sure about my turn bet/fold though.

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 07:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
Seems ok. I think bet/folding turn for value/protection is pretty standard because of the 2 flush draws out there.

Your sizing also seems fine.

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 09:13 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi GamblingProp!

With 88, I'm going to make a standard opening raise to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper at this blind level, so I will raise to 500.

I see a HU flop OOP that has a pair of aces. I need to make a standard value bet here for two reasons. First, to get value from my pair and secondly, to see where I'm at in the hand. With one opp in the hand, a standard bet is 1/2 pot, so I will bet 730. I cannot bet less than this as I'm pricing IN all of the opp's draws and overcards, so I get absolutely no information about their hand (if the opp gets a +EV play, they should never fold). My plan for the hand is that if I'm raised, then I'm behind and need to fold. If the opp calls, then I need to re-evaluate on the turn.

The turn puts a second flush draw out there and here is the key decision in the hand. I either need to make a standard bet of 1230 (but since this basically pot-commits me, I have to jam) or check and fold. I cannot bet small and to see why, we need to look at the hand from the opp's perspective.

I see player 6 make a standard raise saying their hand is strong preflop. Then, on the flop, the opp makes a weak bet that prices in the draws (means they have a draw or something marginal). The same thing on the turn (the weak bet says draw or marginal hand). Either way, they've shown weakness two streets in a row. Guess what, it's a perfect opportunity to raise them (I'd just jam instead of clicking it back)... but either way, the opp is pot-committed. Since their hand has screamed weakness twice, especially in a freeroll (but I'd do this in any other tourney too). I'm putting pressure on them with ATC here because even if I floated the flop with say 2 broadway cards... they have no clue whether I'm ahead or not and if they have the hand they are repping (marginal-at-best), they have to fold.

The way the hand played out, instead of making a standard bet on the flop and getting the info that I needed for 730 chips, 1500 was bet between the flop/turn, which means that 770 extra chips were leaked off. If I bet the turn, it HAS to be a shove here, especially in a freeroll, where I can get called by less.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 24, 2013, 12:00 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
Thanks guys for the replies.
JWK although I agree with most of your analysis, I think you are giving freeroll players too much hand reading credit.
In my opinion a turn minraise happens only if a villain has the nuts or something close to it.
And also let's say villain is bluffing, or semi-bluffing, why would they just minraise instead of shoving and getting way more fold equity?
I am still not much sure about it.

Last edited by GamblingProp; Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM..

Old
Fri Oct 25, 2013, 01:10 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Most opps in freerolls won't have a clue what fold equity is. They also won't make standard bets.. they only see a raise button, so they min bet and min raise everything.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com