Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Big downswing

Old
Big downswing - Sat Oct 26, 2013, 05:35 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi all.
After being a winning 6max cash game player for probably 8 years and playing as a reg only as high as 20nl as I constantly cashed out I have decided this year to build my bankroll from $20 and leave it and see how long I can go. After building it to nearly $400 I have gone on a 300k hand downswing and everything seems to be going against me and I'm back to $50.
Thinking probably best to take a break from playing until I stop feeling like the world is against me lol and spend the time reading and doing session reviews. What book would you recommend to me? Here are the cash game books I have already read. Re-reading one of these is also an option. My pre flop game is fine but I think I am overplaying medium strength hands and struggling to read ranges is probably my main weakness that I need to educate myself on

Doyle Brunson - Super System
Harrington On Cash Vol 1,2 & 3
Poker Blueprint
Player the player
Poker Plays you Can Use
Phil Green Little Green Book
Lee Jones - Winning Low limit

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 05:53 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
You seem to have read most of the mainstream books and I can't really suggest any new ones. I bought the Matthew Juanda book about playing theoretically sound poker but it is highly technical and seems a little above my head. Though I've only been trying to read it early in the morning while going to work.

I just think taking a break is the best idea most of the time. Take a break from even thinking about the game, although I personally find that close to impossible, than bombarding yourself with theory. Touching up your game and noticing trends is good.

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 08:42 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
You seem to have read most of the mainstream books and I can't really suggest any new ones. I bought the Matthew Juanda book about playing theoretically sound poker but it is highly technical and seems a little above my head. Though I've only been trying to read it early in the morning while going to work.

I just think taking a break is the best idea most of the time. Take a break from even thinking about the game, although I personally find that close to impossible, than bombarding yourself with theory. Touching up your game and noticing trends is good.
Is this book anygood? I was going to buy it but i was recommended to buy another book 1st, is it all math stuff in the book or does he actually show some sort of a strategy like his vids with flopzilla.

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 11:45 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2011
A couple of thoughts
First most of the books are theorem based ,well that is obv important for a fondation the game moves on,have you >
The single best bit of advice I can give is take a week or two off and go back to basics.
Start with The Langloliers video on COMMITMENT ,it was the best thin I ever did when started to go backwards.
I went right back to the beginners vds and started again and capped some massive leaks I had let slip in without even noticing.!
You make a bad call,raise ect a few times and before you know it it is a habit .
So Take a break then redo the basics ,you may be surprized at results I was.
Reagrdsbreetnz
@LostInPoker
and good luck

Double Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com