Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Donk Bet: Good Spot?

Old
Donk Bet: Good Spot? - Sat Oct 26, 2013, 05:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2012

With top pair, decent kicker is leading here a good spot? If he cbets I'd call, but a lot of turn cards would be tricky for me oop so happy to take down pot on flop if he folds. I would fold to a raise.
The turn card is good, so I value bet again.

Should I value bet river? Not sure what worse would call me.

Only 8 hands on opponent.

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 10:25 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
I like donking these boards with hands like TP.

It takes the initiative and allows us to extract value from any draws and/or speculative pairs like underpairs etc.

I think there are a lot of missed draws OTR (which some players will donk with) so I think we should bet for value and fold if raised.

Check/calling has it's merits if the villain is bluff happy but given we have 8 hands I think we should bet for value.

Old
Sun Oct 27, 2013, 03:58 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
I still dont take donk lines regulary but I agree with the first part of birdays comment. But the second part: "I think there are a lot of missed draws OTR (which some players will donk with) so I think we should bet for value" does not make sense, vs missed draws only bluffcatching make sense OTR.

But not to sure if bluffcatching or valuebetting is better OTR here, he can have some worse hands that can call you like TJ,T8,T7 and maybe even 98,97 if he calls you down wide.

He can also have a lot of drawing hands that missed the river, but if he is a decent reg I dont think he bluffes his draws that have a K or A that often here, since it really looks like he is trying to steal the pot if he bets the River here. He might bet draws with low high cards though to get you off a draw with a higher highcard.

So not to sure after all, but I would probably bet half pot OTR for the reasons stated.

Old
Sun Oct 27, 2013, 08:18 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by almigthybald View Post
But the second part: "I think there are a lot of missed draws OTR (which some players will donk with) so I think we should bet for value" does not make sense, vs missed draws only bluffcatching make sense OTR.
I mean that players donk the flop with draws.

Since the draw missed OTR we'd bluff these hands because we have no SDV.

That means that we'd play a missed draw the same way as TP (betting the river).

Old
Sun Oct 27, 2013, 09:10 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi carl,

I think the line is fine, we'll have to fold to a raise taking this line as the range that raises us will be comprised of better made hands and draws that have a lot of equity, so over all equity is bad when he raises.

Agree with birdayy, we should value bet again on the river since all draws bricked, and the villain may well put us on a busted draw and bluff catch worse 1 pair hands.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 27, 2013, 10:17 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I think the play is a good one, though it is not something I would do every time in this situation. Just make sure to have a plan. I actually like the check on the river as it gives villain a chance to bluff worse hands when you show weakness after all draws have missed, but it is largely read specific on the villain. Betting river may be the best play if you don't have any reason to expect villain to bluff you.

Old
Sun Oct 27, 2013, 11:31 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2011
Im value (almost a protection bet ) betting river here,if you checked to me here ,Im villian, Im making a bet,as Im attacking your weakness (your checking),im assuming you are know on a broken flush draw ect.if you reraise me I fold .
From your position Im betting river for same reasons hoping you have a busted flush or strght draw . if you call I still think Im ahead (top pair good kicker),if not I lose,but if you reraise ,with no history to say your bluffing Im folding as Im assuming you put me on at least top pair and have me beat. But I thnk you played hand correct untill you checked river ,even then dont think it was bad play just a safer line,only problem being if villian then bets after your river check.Lot of assuming in poker eh
Regards
brettnz
@LostInPoker

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by brettnz; Sun Oct 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: added to

Old
Mon Oct 28, 2013, 09:35 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
If villain bets when we check river, we are probably going to call since all draws missed. The problem with this is that we can't be sure how many draws villain has in his range here, since he just called us on the flop and turn and didn't raise to semi-bluff. It's a bit of a parlay, that he A) flops a draw, B) chooses to play flop and turn passively facing our bets, and C) chooses to bluff river when checked to rather than give up.

The 2nd problem with checking the river, in addition to the parlay above being our main source of profit from this line, is that his calling has indicated a non-monster that has showdown value. It is somewhat likely that most hands in this category that are worse than ours will check down, while most better will value bet us. Which means if our plan is to check/call, we need to have a fair bit of bluffs somehow that he can show up with to be profitable, making up for the times we pay off a slightly better hand.

To birdayys point, players sometimes take our line (donk flop, lead turn) with draws themselves, so it's reasonable for the villain to be calling us with showdown value hands. When all the draws miss, most (maybe all) of those same hands that would have simply checked down and shown down the river, will now call a river bet to bluff catch us in hopes we had one of those draws.

I think in the case of this hand we do better if we bet the river rather than check, since I expect villain to have more showdown value hands than busted draws that he'll now bluff and not give up.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 28, 2013, 10:36 AM
(#9)
Overbetting could also be kinda cool on the river because his range looks pretty weak and he could level himself into a call with a middling strength hand if we polarise our range.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com