Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / New Members /

New Here

Old
New Here - Sat Oct 26, 2013, 07:45 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to stop by and say hi as I'm new.

Been playing poker with friends for years, and online very casually for about a year. I would say i was a complete fish before going through these tutorials (i learnt from friends and this is how they played) and have improved my game immensely over the last month. thanks pokerschool

Anyways does anyone have any tips on increasing my bankroll for a newbie?

Ive been playing mainly S&G's, $1.50 turbo knockouts are my favorite. I usually end up in the money(id say 4 out of 5 games average), and get a little bonus from knockouts. I have moved up and played 2 or 3 $3.50 games, and came in the money in them but as my bankroll is still low (less than $40) i feel i little uncomfortable at this stake.

Should i stick out the $1.50's or play a few more $3.50's?

I also tried my hand at some zoom cash games, only played 2 tables at a time at .01/.02. I was sucked in by the speed and loved it! But this could be because i was like $7 up in about 5/10 mins.

Is it advisable to play more of these, or should i work on improving my regular game before moved into the zoom ones?

Anyways, thanks

BettingBenji

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 08:11 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
I certainly wouldn't move up to $3.50 until I had $100+ in my account although I'd take the odd shot if I had information on several in a game or I had a good session and I was playing well.

I can't comment on game selection but play within your bankroll. $40 is not a lot but it's a good amount to be learning with. Worry about making correct decisions and your bankroll will look after itself.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 09:21 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Hello bettingbenji

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any comments or questions you may have.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club. Information on how to join the club may be found HERE. Hope to see you there!

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...erSchoolOnline

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 10:06 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
I certainly wouldn't move up to $3.50 until I had $100+ in my account although I'd take the odd shot if I had information on several in a game or I had a good session and I was playing well.

I can't comment on game selection but play within your bankroll. $40 is not a lot but it's a good amount to be learning with. Worry about making correct decisions and your bankroll will look after itself.

I read a lot of the things you put in these threads Ovalman, quite often your on the other side of the fence but I find myself agreeing with your position. I play for the enjoyment of playing poker and don't really worry about the money part, but this statement ("YOUR BANKROLL WILL LOOK AFTER ITSELF") is way off the mark. Until you get up in the millions ( probably even then ) it's the main thing new players should be considering when they play.

Triple Bracelet Winner

Last edited by taxi128; Sat Oct 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM..

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 10:53 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi bettingbenji!

Bankroll management is a big key. To follow proper bankroll management I need to have 100 buy-ins in my bankroll. So, for example, to play a $3.50 tourney, I need to have $350 in my bankroll.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 11:52 AM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi bettingbenji!

Bankroll management is a big key. To follow proper bankroll management I need to have 100 buy-ins in my bankroll. So, for example, to play a $3.50 tourney, I need to have $350 in my bankroll.

John (JWK24)

but this statement ("YOUR BANKROLL WILL LOOK AFTER ITSELF") is way off the mark

My point is if you play to a deep enough bankroll and use bankroll management then you won't have to worry about it. I'd be more concerned with making correct decisions, knowing I have a bankroll deep enough to take the swings. Making long term +EV decisions is much more important than any bankroll strategy because if you play losing poker, no amount of bankroll management will stop you from going broke.

I disagree to a point John about your strategy. 100 buy in's is enough to be a regular at a certain level but you can take shots with much less. With $100 in my account I'd be playing $3.50 games and drop back to $1.50 if I went below this amount. With $350 in my account I'd be playing solely $3.50 games but I'd also be taking shots at $7.

I do make some points Taxi where I've discovered I was wrong. I came to the forum mostly self taught in the game and I think it helps me look at things from a different angle. I take it all on board though and why I like this forum. I do get things wrong but I also learn from others. I don't mind putting my points across as I feel this is the best way to improve my game.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 26, 2013, 11:58 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey Oval!

Taking a shot with less than 10% of my roll every so often is perfectly fine.. but not to consistently play the higher level of game.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com