Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

9Ts vs KK - $0.25 NL

Old
9Ts vs KK - $0.25 NL - Sun Oct 27, 2013, 02:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Hi,

This is a hand from a $0.25 NL Hold'em [90 Players] - Level II (15/30) that I lost.

I 3 bet when it folded to me in an attempt to bluff, the flop seemed promising and the Turn convinced me I had the best hand.
Villain was 20/13, af 2, over a 9 hand sample, no other read sadly. I was multi-tabling and didn't remember his earlier plays but did not range him before playing my hand, just thought he was bluffing too

I would like some feedback on this hand http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...087_D4418AF503

Old
Sun Oct 27, 2013, 09:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi IBNash!

First, this is not a 3-bet, it's a raise to 3X. A 3-bet is a re-raise and in this hand nobody has previously raised.

With T9s, since it's early, I can either fold or make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper as a steal. If the opps have been passive so far, I'll opt to raise.

I then get 3-bet to 180. I need to fold to this raise. If I 4-bet, then I need to raise to 3X their bet (540) and this bet would pot-commit me, so if I raise, I need to shove.. and my hand is nowhere near strong enough to do so with. I cannot raise to less, as doing that will only bloat the pot, because the opp will be priced in to try to outdraw me with basically anything.

If I saw the flop (which I would not), when I hit two pair, I need to make a standard value bet. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With one opp, I need to bet 1/2 pot... no more.. no less (unless I'm pot-committed and need to shove... Like here!). Whenever a bet is over 1/3 of my stack, I cannot make the bet and ever fold, so I need to immediately shove. Players that make abnormal sized bets are basically turning their cards face-up to their opponents, which is something that I need to avoid.

The keys with this hand are to fold to the 3-bet preflop and if in the hand to only make standard bets. The abnormal bets are a tell as to what the hand is.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 27, 2013, 10:35 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi IBNash!

First, this is not a 3-bet, it's a raise to 3X. A 3-bet is a re-raise and in this hand nobody has previously raised.

The keys with this hand are to fold to the 3-bet preflop and if in the hand to only make standard bets. The abnormal bets are a tell as to what the hand is.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
John, thanks for clearing the 3 bet misnomer and the review, I appreciate it.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com