Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

B vs B action

Old
B vs B action - Mon Oct 28, 2013, 04:10 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi guys,

Slightly confused from two hands that I recently posted - giving different advice. Now I undestand that both flatting and 3betting while in the blinds csan both be optimal play, but given the two hands that I posted I was wondering if someone could explain that (in the two situations below) and the advice that is given why that is the potentially optimal play.

1. http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...nl-FR-Zoom-ATs

and

2. http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...nl-FR-Zoom-KJo

With the first situation (1), according to the adivce given, the potential optimal play is to 3bet.

Now with situation (2), according to the advice given, the potential optimal play is to flat call.

As I have said, I understand that both can be optimal given what you know, but I am unsure why in the above situations.

Can anyone see why, i.e. is it because of the strength of the hands, or is it because of the reads that I have on opponents, etc? I am not sure.

Thanks for all your help,

Pullin1988

Last edited by pullin1988; Mon Oct 28, 2013 at 05:21 AM..

Old
Mon Oct 28, 2013, 04:54 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2013
I think it is the other way round.

Old
Mon Oct 28, 2013, 05:21 AM
(#3)
Cheers TweedleBeet!. I have now amended.

Pullin

Old
Mon Oct 28, 2013, 07:07 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2013
hey pullin for both examples it's the strength of your hand that we're really considering vs the opponents range...

for the ATs hand a 3bet lets us define the opponents range like you said in your post if they 4bet we ditch the hand safely assuming QQ+/AK and move on. if they flat we have the initiative and can lead out on quite a few flops if it gets checked to us.

with the KJo hand we don't have a hand strong enough to 3bet as the only hands that are calling our 3 bet will be hands that dominate us Axs/KQ/pp and this also leaves us in a weird spot when we flop top pair Medium Kicker in a 3 bet pot which is never a comfortable position to be in.

Old
Mon Oct 28, 2013, 07:15 AM
(#5)
Cheers Pinoy,

Thanks for the advice, that has sorted out my confusion.

Pullin

Old
Tue Oct 29, 2013, 11:17 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2013
If we 3bet ATs and a player calls us OOP dont they have a much stronger range anyway like TT+ AQs+. Maybe im a nit OOP but i might call even tighter than that and sometimes looser. I have flatted the KJo in BB as well and always run into either 3 barrels and i fold or i call 2 streets and see a better kicker.

Old
Tue Oct 29, 2013, 01:57 PM
(#7)
Hi mike,

that's what I wasn't sure about.

Cheers,

Pullin

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com